IGNORED

Average Attendance (Merged)

JasonM88

On 24/04/2017 at 10:00, cynic said:

I would given the awful ticketing arrangements for the top tier - which is currently not available due to maintenance.

Even so, it will easily be 20k+

Well into 22500 now. It's going to be a biggy with well over a week to go. Imagine a sell out after such a shite season. That will do for me 

COYR

On 24/04/2017 at 21:51, Kid in the Riot said:

I think away allocations will be the same as this season. Max 2,700. Away fans to be put in the middle of the Atyeo with netting either side and also netting on the first 5 or so rows of the stand to stop any young bucks from entering the playing surface. That's my guess.

I thought this had already been explained by the club, or I could be wrong, or imagining it..! 

I believe that the "initial" allocation will be the same, with the back half of the Atyeo made available. There is scope to sell more (upto the whole stand capacity) I expect, to larger away followings, who can fill it if able. 

On 24/04/2017 at 19:07, Tiree said:

So lets get into some decent maths/averages; and some perspective of how few the blue few are; Take any period you like.

Ok you like the period we have had SL as chairman/owner/super fan etc? say 2002? we averaged 11,889 which included a victorious FLTrophy win in Cardiff beating Carlise. Not a bad year for us...

We beat Carlisle in the Football League Trophy Final in 2003...

If rovers ever reach a 10k average, you'll have no doubt them inbred few bragging about it as if they've pulled double the Barcelona fan support, I mean, dont they try to brag enough today having matching it? Yet being clearly 10's of thousands behind?... deluded that lot, no wonder they all have six fingers, brain damage must also be an effect.

Don't know if this has been touched on, and I usually enjoy our big gates and smile at theirs without crowing too much but ....

Am I right in thinking that we could possibly get the same attendance at the Gate, as the Squatters took to Wembley for their Playoff celebration?
Or was that another invasion?  They took 26k didn't they , and the Birmingham gate looks to be approaching 22/23 with over a week to go. 

Embarrassing :D

On 4/23/2017 at 00:00, JHAGa said:

Bit of a meaningless stat but interesting nonetheless. It's our highest average attendance since 1979 according to http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/bric.htm.

Thought so for a while, we are definitely growing, have been growing the fanbase. 

I believe the last seasons we had like this- when we were not restricted capacity- were in 10/11 and 11/12. We have increased it significantly on those! Which is an excellent sign.

Indeed, had a quick scan through the list...11th highest in our history this season apparently!

9 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

You have to go back to 1961 for a season they beat us. 

I think you mean 1965 Robbo.

They also beat our attendances in 1983.

So they've had higher crowds than us ONCE in 52 years. That must be a particularly bitter pill to swallow for a fanbase who are so obsessed with attendances.

They claim it's because they've had smaller grounds than us...which would be a valid point if they actually filled those smaller grounds week after week instead of once or twice a decade.

12 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I thought this had already been explained by the club, or I could be wrong, or imagining it..! 

I believe that the "initial" allocation will be the same, with the back half of the Atyeo made available. There is scope to sell more (upto the whole stand capacity) I expect, to larger away followings, who can fill it if able. 

Haven't heard that at all but hope it's not correct.

As I've said above City already give plenty of tickets to away fans - more than required - and giving yet more would do nothing but dilute home advantage.

The clubs who 'might' want more - if they're doing well - are the likes of Cardiff, Wolves, Aston Villa, Birmingham and Leeds, exactly the sort of clubs where larger allocations will only lead to increased problems.

I don't see the fixation with some on OTIB either for 'filling the ground' (if it takes giving away clubs huge allocations to do it) or preferring to see thousands of away fans in attendance.

The club may make a bit more money - offset by increased stewarding and police costs - but it's not to our advantage overall, and will almost certainly increase trouble outside the ground.

It's not all about money, a home match at Ashton Gate should be all about being in a crowd full of like minded Bristolians supporting their local team, not an outsized and vociferous away following filling a quarter of the ground and making themselves the centre of attention.

Just now, Nogbad the Bad said:

As I've said above City already give plenty of tickets to away fans - more than required - and giving yet more would do nothing but dilute home advantage.

The clubs who 'might' want more - if they're doing well - are the likes of Cardiff, Wolves, Aston Villa, Birmingham and Leeds, exactly the sort of clubs where larger allocations will only lead to increased problems.

I don't see the fixation with some on OTIB either for 'filling the ground' (if it takes giving away clubs huge allocations to do it) or preferring to see thousands of away fans in attendance.

The club may make a bit more money - offset by increased stewarding and police costs - but it's not to our advantage overall, and will almost certainly increase trouble outside the ground.

It's not all about money, a home match at Ashton Gate should be all about being in a crowd full of like minded Bristolians supporting their local team, not an outsized and vociferous away following filling a quarter of the ground and making themselves the centre of attention.

I don't personally see the problem and think we should maximise revenue (& attendances) wherever possible. In reality, none of the huge supports have often been that loud. In fact, probably the noisiest away following this season have been the 2/300 from Fleetwood! 

In theory, the bigger away support, the more "up for it" home fans seem to be, so let them in and bring it on, I say!! 

1 hour ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

I think you mean 1965 Robbo.

They also beat our attendances in 1983.

So they've had higher crowds than us ONCE in 52 years. That must be a particularly bitter pill to swallow for a fanbase who are so obsessed with attendances.

They claim it's because they've had smaller grounds than us...which would be a valid point if they actually filled those smaller grounds week after week instead of once or twice a decade.

Although, to be fair, I suspect our increased attendances this season are due, mainly, to the new (large and improved) stadium, rather than performances.

I must say, though, that both City and Rovers' attendances in the immediate post-war years (late 1940s/1950s) were pretty impressive. 

9 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Away fans always seem to make more noise and the extra revenue might be offset by the visitors playing like they are at home. Think of us at MK, Coventry, Fulham.

The Atyeo represents just over 15% of our capacity. I don't see the problem with giving it all to away teams who require it, maybe when offering it to the clubs who could fill it we do so with the proviso they offer us 15%, not the minimum 10% required (if they can) in the return fixture. It will increase both teams gates for their fixtures. Win-win for both clubs, will enhance atmosphere, revenue and our reputation, should we then take up our full 15% in the corresponding fixture. Reciprocal agreements could benefit all.

11 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I don't personally see the problem and think we should maximise revenue (& attendances) wherever possible. In reality, none of the huge supports have often been that loud. In fact, probably the noisiest away following this season have been the 2/300 from Fleetwood! 

In theory, the bigger away support, the more "up for it" home fans seem to be, so let them in and bring it on, I say!! 

The problem is: More away support = less of a home game feel outside the ground before the match, more visible and very likely noisier support for the away team, and a greater likelihood of trouble afterwards. If visible and vocal away support counts for anything It's obviously quite possible it will lead to less home home points too, with away fans almost always being very 'up for it' and often noisier as individuals and collectively than they would be in their own stadium.

Much hard to create this fabled fortress AG when 20% inside it are against you.

We're not in the minority like MK Dons, Fulham and even PNE who have large numbers of home tickets unsold every week if they don't increase the away allocation, nor do we have 'unpassionate' support like the first 2 whose fans don't mind their ground filling up with almost unlimited away fans.

The point is Bristol City don't need to create these added problems for financial reasons (not sure how much gain anyway with added police costs) so why do it at all when it all it does is increase the support for the away team and likelihood of bother, and would be proactively doing something that may reduce home advantage?

There's nothing to be proud of saying, 'City's gates are going up' if the increase is down to to giving away fans far more than the required amount in order to bump it up.

Btw, why do you think most clubs do not exceed the required amount, and one who previously did - Huddersfield - reacted to fan pressure and made a conscious decision to return to giving only what they had to? 

7 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

The problem is: More away support = less of a home game feel outside the ground before the match, more visible and very likely noisier support for the away team, and a greater likelihood of trouble afterwards. If visible and vocal away support counts for anything It's obviously quite possible it will lead to less home home points too, with away fans almost always being very 'up for it' and often noisier as individuals and collectively than they would be in their own stadium.

Much hard to create this fabled fortress AG when 20% inside it are against you.

We're not in the minority like MK Dons, Fulham and even PNE who have large numbers of home tickets unsold every week if they don't increase the away allocation, nor do we have 'unpassionate' support like the first 2 whose fans don't mind their ground filling up with almost unlimited away fans.

The point is Bristol City don't need to create these added problems for financial reasons (not sure how much gain anyway with added police costs) so why do it at all when it all it does is increase the support for the away team and likelihood of bother, and would be proactively doing something that may reduce home advantage?

There's nothing to be proud of saying, 'City's gates are going up' if the increase is down to to giving away fans far more than the required amount in order to bump it up.

Btw, why do you think most clubs do not exceed the required amount, and one who previously did - Huddersfield - reacted to fan pressure and made a conscious decision to return to giving only what they had to? 

I always think that more away fans adds to the "occasion" of a match and improves the atmosphere. 

It wouldn't bother me in the slightest. 

22 minutes ago, zombie said:

The Atyeo represents just over 15% of our capacity. I don't see the problem with giving it all to away teams who require it, maybe when offering it to the clubs who could fill it we do so with the proviso they offer us 15%, not the minimum 10% required (if they can) in the return fixture. It will increase both teams gates for their fixtures. Win-win for both clubs, will enhance atmosphere, revenue and our reputation, should we then take up our full 15% in the corresponding fixture. Reciprocal agreements could benefit all.

As you say the rule is Championship clubs are required to give 10%, up to a 20k capacity, but that 2k is the maximum required whatever the total capacity.

Clubs with a capacity over 20k do not have to give 10% of capacity, they can keep to 2k.

For example Aston Villa, with a 43k. capacity gave Birmingham the required 2k., and no more, last weekend.

As things stand City already give 10% of total capacity, 2.7k, so already give far more than required.

As for a reciprocal 15% arrangement some clubs with a lower capacity than City do not have the capability to match our present away allocation in the return fixture e.g. QPR, Brentford, Burton - let alone a further increased one.

Bristol City are not in the top half in terms of Championship capacities, yet we're apparently happy to make a point of giving one of the largest away allocations?

Senseless, and smacks of a small club mentality. Bad move.

29 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I always think that more away fans adds to the "occasion" of a match and improves the atmosphere. 

It wouldn't bother me in the slightest. 

Yes, gathered that.

To answer my own question about Huddersfield.

Their fans complained they were being intimidated inside and outside the ground by excessive away followings and their enjoyment of going to support their team in their own ground was being diminished.

The club reacted to their concerns by cutting the away allocation to that required, and coincidentally, or not, their results and league standing have markedly improved and their total gates increased.

With home fans. Good for them. 

2 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Yes, gathered that.

Their fans complained they were being intimidated inside and outside the ground by excessive away followings and their enjoyment of going to support their team in their own ground was being diminished.

The club reacted to their concerns by cutting the away allocation to that required, and coincidentally, or not, their results and league standing have markedly improved and their total gates increased.

I don't see that as a problem. 

Most teams haven't filled the 2,700 allocation. 

Those that might will only be bringing an extra 1,300 than they currently would be. 

Just now, Nogbad the Bad said:

Yes, gathered that.

Good example of what happens to the atmosphere in the stadium, when the numbers are increased of the more fanatical away followings. It happens when City are on their travels. Unfortunately, some of our more vociferous supporters don't actually hear the effect on the rest of the stadium, because they're trying to out sing the opposition.

Our ground and the whole experience has improved as a result of the redevelopment, we don't want to discourage more home support by, allowing those noisy northerners more tickets, or south coasters.

On 23/04/2017 at 06:40, Red Right Hand said:

The fact remains that despite the season we`ve had and if you add in the two home cup games by the end of this season we will have had close to half a million people attending matches at AG.

I get the point you are making but we havent had half a million people watch City, as they arent unique visits

39 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

As you say the rule is Championship clubs are required to give 10%, up to a 20k capacity, but that 2k is the maximum required whatever the total capacity.

Clubs with a capacity over 20k do not have to give 10% of capacity, they can keep to 2k.

For example Aston Villa, with a 43k. capacity gave Birmingham the required 2k., and no more, last weekend.

As things stand City already give 10% of total capacity, 2.7k, so already give far more than required.

As for a reciprocal 15% arrangement some clubs with a lower capacity than City do not have the capability to match our present away allocation in the return fixture e.g. QPR, Brentford, Burton - let alone a further increased one.

Bristol City are not in the top half in terms of Championship capacities, yet we're apparently happy to make a point of giving one of the largest away allocations?

Senseless, and smacks of a small club mentality. Bad move.

Villa limited our allocation to 2.4k due to police restrictions.  I'm fairly sure a similar restriction would have applied for the Birmingham game, a much more significant rivalry of course.  The other huge difference with the Birmingham game is that Villa Park was almost sold out (40k), whereas there were only 28k there for our game.  That meant there were over 10,000 empty seats when we played Villa, yet some of our own fans who wanted a ticket couldn't get one.

I would prefer clubs - including ours - to simply adopt the policy that if they are able to give away fans more tickets, then they do so up to a reasonable maximum.  The overall impact would be that more fans watch more football, and the marginal loss of home advantage on occasions when the away fans get more tickets would be counteracted by the additional away advantage on occasions when you take more fans.  Therefore the net impact would be negligible.  It also means that all clubs generate more revenue.

I am also dubious in our case that giving the away fans more tickets does diminish home advantage.  I think it tends to spur on home support and makes for an overall better atmosphere that benefits our own players as much as it does the away team.

26 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I would prefer clubs - including ours - to simply adopt the policy that if they are able to give away fans more tickets, then they do so up to a reasonable maximum. 

I would argue that City already do precisely that by giving 2,700.

That seems a very reasonable and generous maximum to me.

Archived