IGNORED

Sound of the City - LJ on the show on Monday night

Jacki

2 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

This is the thing with LJ at the moment: he holds the club record for consecutive league defeats (fact) with probably the biggest budget of any City coach/manager but he is not the worst head coach/manager we have ever had (he brought in our finest ever loan signing, kept us up last season, we went forward, just about, this season). We don't really know what he is or what we will get next season.

Which is unsettling. Uncertainty is unsettling, uncomfortable. Some people (Thatch?) find uncertainty so uncomfortable that they make their mind up and won't be budged. At least they are certain of one thing.

I think this is a very good point. Personally, I'm not saying LJ is the man. My opinion is if we show any kind of consistent relegation form next season before Christmas, especially if we spend well in the summer, the shit will really stick and he will have to go.

As for next season? I wouldn't say I'm uncomfortable personally, but that's just me. The reality is there are no guarantees in football, part of being a fan is living with the uncertainty. City have yo-yo'd between leagues at times in my supporting life time. I won't let it get me down because I know I have no control in the situation.

I also take the view that the form showed towards the end of the season is more the 'real' level of where we can hope to be more consistently next season.

I also believe in the philosophy of developing players and coaches, in doing so, sometimes you take two steps back before going forwards, which is something we did this season.

As for LJ being the best funded manager, on the face of it, in cold hard cash he must be. Although relative to revenue and division, I wonder if SC had a better % in wages during the L1 season? Or Gary Johnson in his final championship season? I'd guess wages were relatively higher back then.

One further point about the transfers, as I've said before, I'd argue a large % was spent on players we are adding value to and will see improve this next few seasons as they grow or settle into the division. The only real 'flop' you could argue was Tomlin, but he always seemed a gamble because of his history.

But this last point only makes sense if these players actually do start delivering more along with the manager, which backs up my first point, that a lack of early improvement means he surely has to be in danger.

54 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I prefer points per game.  It doesn't change your stats, but allows for the variations of manager's who either draw a lot or draw a little.

If Johnson carries on at this rate, that's 60.7 points per 46 game season.  That should be a no relegation drama points total.  If he can improve that, then you start knocking on the door of top 10.

Sorry to wreck the stats but those 69 games include a fair few cup games, the majority of which we won so LJ's ppg will be lower than 1.32. I don't know how it effects the others.

Agree ppg > win % though.

4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Sorry to wreck the stats but those 69 games include a fair few cup games, the majority of which we won so LJ's ppg will be lower than 1.32. I don't know how it effects the others.

It includes 7 cup games I think which also includes 2 defeats and 1 draw so it will still be around 1.3 ppg 

40 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

I thought he came across as very awkward during the interview. 

I think he was scared of giving away things he shouldn't.

I agree with you on that. I had a listen earlier and thought the same. As is often the case with LJ, he said quite a lot without really saying very much. I don't think it was helped by the fact that time was short, which meant that GT couldn't follow up questions in the way he did in the SL interview a while back. 

I have no problem with LJ saying that he's a good manager in the context that he did during the interview, I'm not sure why anyone would expect any different really.

I came away from it thinking fair play to him for going on, but none the wiser as to what next season and the summer will bring. My position in him is unchanged really. I don't think it's fair to hammer him for the terrible run without also giving him credit for the beginning and end to the season. Yes it was an avoidable relegation battle which he got us into, but he also managed to get us out of it. I think it's right to stick with him for the start of next season, and we'll see where that takes us.

One thing is for sure though. This is his long talked-about 3rd window and he'll no doubt be well backed in the market by SL. He has no excuse now for us not to make significant progress next season, and if we start poorly in the first 15 games or so he can have no complaints if he is replaced. 

1 hour ago, Thatch35 said:

Far from it. ha

What do the other managers have in common - shite like LJ. How can anyone back up LJ as manager I have no idea.

I was right LJ would be a disaster. I was right the board made a terrible choice. 3 points from relegation - Some of you need to wake up.

Not the best manager we've ever had, granted, but certainly not a disaster.

The board and owner have faith that he is on the right track, and with no evidence to the contrary I feel inclined to share that faith as well for the time being.

He has certainly spent the last 3-4 months moving in the right direction.

You go ahead and spend your matches booing though, I will choose to support the team and whoever happens to be in charge at the time.

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I was gonna add a caveat, but they weren't my stats....I'm so lazy ;)

1 hour ago, richwwtk said:

Not the best manager we've ever had, granted, but certainly not a disaster.

The board and owner have faith that he is on the right track, and with no evidence to the contrary I feel inclined to share that faith as well for the time being.

He has certainly spent the last 3-4 months moving in the right direction.

You go ahead and spend your matches booing though, I will choose to support the team and whoever happens to be in charge at the time.

I fear you're wasting your breath.  I'd like to think that Thatch is a glass half empty kind of a guy, but I suspect anything close to half a glass would completely freak him out.  I suspect that Thatch is more glass completely empty, smashed into pieces, wrapped in newspaper and left out for the binmen.

3 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I fear you're wasting your breath.  I'd like to think that Thatch is a glass half empty kind of a guy, but I suspect anything close to half a glass would completely freak him out.  I suspect that Thatch is more glass completely empty, smashed into pieces, wrapped in newspaper and left out for the binmen.

Thatch must be a plastic beaker type of chap, as a real glass could put him in danger of causing himself harm with the broken shards when the receptacle is empty and dashed on the ground.

2 hours ago, Alessandro said:

I think this is a very good point. Personally, I'm not saying LJ is the man. My opinion is if we show any kind of consistent relegation form next season before Christmas, especially if we spend well in the summer, the shit will really stick and he will have to go.

As for next season? I wouldn't say I'm uncomfortable personally, but that's just me. The reality is there are no guarantees in football, part of being a fan is living with the uncertainty. City have yo-yo'd between leagues at times in my supporting life time. I won't let it get me down because I know I have no control in the situation.

I also take the view that the form showed towards the end of the season is more the 'real' level of where we can hope to be more consistently next season.

I also believe in the philosophy of developing players and coaches, in doing so, sometimes you take two steps back before going forwards, which is something we did this season.

As for LJ being the best funded manager, on the face of it, in cold hard cash he must be. Although relative to revenue and division, I wonder if SC had a better % in wages during the L1 season? Or Gary Johnson in his final championship season? I'd guess wages were relatively higher back then.

One further point about the transfers, as I've said before, I'd argue a large % was spent on players we are adding value to and will see improve this next few seasons as they grow or settle into the division. The only real 'flop' you could argue was Tomlin, but he always seemed a gamble because of his history.

But this last point only makes sense if these players actually do start delivering more along with the manager, which backs up my first point, that a lack of early improvement means he surely has to be in danger.

You're not on that bus to Scunny as well are you Alessandro?

8 hours ago, Thatch35 said:

LJ talked a lot but said nothing.

The 1st Twitter question was good and completely dodged.

The question about team and tactic changes proved he is still clueless. He talked about simplicity and clarity......that was obviously lost on all the players.

People thanking him for 'saving the club'...txts and twitter thanking him. My goodness, happy clapper fans who clearly have no idea. Has everyone forgot about the season? Has everyone forgot he is the worst manager in the clubs history? Has everyone forgot that millions has been given to LJ with no improvement?

This bloke is a complete joke. Hoping for a poor start to the season so City can finally get rid.

Why were people celebrating at the gate after the Birmingham game? Get a grip people - the club has gone backwards this season. Fickle City fans. 

go and support those horse punching ***** please

15 hours ago, Alessandro said:

Regarding the line up - GT asked LJ about all the changes to the line ups.

His answer was something along the lines of yes, there were changes, but because we kept losing. When we found what worked, we stuck with it. Had he written down what he would have said was his first 11 at the start of the season, it wouldn't have looked like the team we ended the season with. He cited injuries, Korey Smith, for example.

For me this has to be one of the lessons he needs to learn. Of course, you need to change a losing side sometimes, but results often come with some stability and continuity. Changes can compound the problem, I think he should have seen that earlier in the season.

I think I'd echo what others have said about the good manager comment. You need that self belief as a manager, that little streak of arrogance. You can't lead a group of men if you have no confidence in what you're doing. Whether they have confidence in you....we'll that's another debate. In my opinion, it also does actually take a 'good' manager to keep a team in this league, given how competetive it is, the weak or ill prepared are quickly weeded out. So LJ is right. He is a good manager. He didn't say 'great' or 'one of the best young managers around', 'the best man for the job' or 'the person who is best qualified to take the club forwards for the near future' or something like that. Had he said that, I'd have a problem with it.

Fair comment Alessandro, just how good he is we will see. Just for the record I hope he turns out to the best manager we've ever had.

Once again :fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:

Archived