IGNORED

We are the best club for a foreign owner takeover

Major Isewater

So ,surprisingly, Reading have been taken over by rich Chinese investors . I can only imagine the club was sold to them on the back of a spell in the Prem and the proximity to London and her international airports which make visiting the club that much easier than to a  provincial town .

I got thinking about who could be the next and best investment and here is my conclusion ;

It is us.

Our catchment area is vast, easy-ish access to London's international airport and an infrastructure in place to mount an attack on the prem with the right investment.

So ,if Mr El Changovich comes calling do we want his filthy lucre and a genuine tilt at the Prem or do we just say  'niet ' ?

How likely is it that Lansdown would sell out ?

I don't think right now is the moment but if things get tasty again this season perhaps he'll just decide he doesn't need the hassle anymore ?

19 minutes ago, JustinCider said:

One thing is for certain, whatever your personal views on the ownership of our club, there will come a change as SL isn't getting any younger. The only uncertainty is when?

JL is groomed for that day. 

Nevertheless SL has stated if it's for the good of the club he will sell.  It's difficult to see what buyer would be for the good of the club or what circumstances but strange things happen. 

4 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

JL is groomed for that day. 

Nevertheless SL has stated if it's for the good of the club he will sell.  It's difficult to see what buyer would be for the good of the club or what circumstances but strange things happen. 

JL or LJ ?  :laugh:

39 minutes ago, JustinCider said:

One thing is for certain, whatever your personal views on the ownership of our club, there will come a change as SL isn't getting any younger. The only uncertainty is when?

It'll be passed onto the boy I would think 

59 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

So ,surprisingly, Reading have been taken over by rich Chinese investors . I can only imagine the club was sold to them on the back of a spell in the Prem and the proximity to London and her international airports which make visiting the club that much easier than to a  provincial town .

I got thinking about who could be the next and best investment and here is my conclusion ;

It is us.

Our catchment area is vast, easy-ish access to London's international airport and an infrastructure in place to mount an attack on the prem with the right investment.

So ,if Mr El Changovich comes calling do we want his filthy lucre and a genuine tilt at the Prem or do we just say  'niet ' ?

How likely is it that Lansdown would sell out ?

I don't think right now is the moment but if things get tasty again this season perhaps he'll just decide he doesn't need the hassle anymore ?

No. Never. (To a rich owner buying us)

id rather we never make the premier league in my lifetime than be some foreign owners play thing.

the premier league really isn't the be all and end all of football.

Listening to Richard Scudamore on radio this morning saying how many owners are turned down by the prem from buying English clubs.

Also got me thinking that we should look to get him involved with the club when he finishes his job with the premier league - he is just the type of football man we need.

24 minutes ago, Robbored said:

If SL retires Jon Lansdown would take over.

I know that's the long term plan of SL but that's not to say he wouldn't sell if he felt someone genuine was willing to take the club to a financial level that even he couldn't. Clearly in this scenario JL couldn't even match SL's input- there are other siblings.

JL worries me greatly, yes he's a fan but he hasn't ever run a business and when he was pushed into a more prominent role as MD he didn't do well and SL had to pull him out and you rarely hear him or read about anything he's managing. The odd tweet and that's it

2 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

I know that's the long term plan of SL but that's not to say he wouldn't sell if he felt someone genuine was willing to take the club to a financial level that even he couldn't. Clearly in this scenario JL couldn't even match SL's input- there are other siblings.

JL worries me greatly, yes he's a fan but he hasn't ever run a business and when he was pushed into a more prominent role as MD he didn't do well and SL had to pull him out and you rarely hear him or read about anything he's managing. The odd tweet and that's it

Not many fans know what Jon L actually does and I'm sure that many think there's an element of nepotism here.

As you say we hear very little from him or Keith Dawe for that matter.

I can see the almost inevitability of JL taking over from his father but there is no guarantee that this would be any better for the club than a takeover from someone as yet unknown. I appreciate the club means more to JL than a foreign oligarch, let's say, but all of us love our club yet that doesn't mean we would make a good job of running it. I'm sure JL is a very smart young man, but it's his fathers billions he'll inherit, not billions he's generated by his own efforts. One thing I do ponder on, how many billionaires must SL be on good terms with as he must come into contact with a fair few through his business activities? Perhaps SL will sell it to one of these, someone he feels he can trust to continue his legacy and fulfill his vision of top flight football if he doesn't achieve it first.

25 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Listening to Richard Scudamore on radio this morning saying how many owners are turned down by the prem from buying English clubs.

Also got me thinking that we should look to get him involved with the club when he finishes his job with the premier league - he is just the type of football man we need.

Particularly as he is a city fan. He has made such a good job with the premier league going from strength to strength,, always quips that as a city fan he can remain impartial . His experience would be invaluable should we ever make it to the premier league.

Just now, Red Right Hand said:

Right, they must have been just before it came in then when they had their two seasons up

Yep, City, PNE, Burton, Millwall and Brentford. You could argue who the biggest club on that list is.

Probably also worth saying - approx years since last in premier league:

Forest - 19

Barnsley - 19

Wednesday - 17.

Ipswich - 15

Leeds - 12

Derby - 10

Birmingham - 6

Bolton - 6

You could argue that some of those clubs not returning to the premier league in that time, like Forest, Wednesday or Leeds, is a bigger failure than us not getting there at all yet.

If and when JL takes over from his old man, he's not only been involved in the running of the club since day 1 but more than likely, he'll still have surrounding football people on the board. Like @downendcity said, I'd love it If Scuds came aboard. Also I know he's a commentator but Jonathan Pearce too as a potential scout. As a commentator, it's his job to see things we might miss.

8 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Yep, City, PNE, Burton, Millwall and Brentford. You could argue who the biggest club on that list is.

Probably also worth saying - approx years since last in premier league:

Forest - 19

Barnsley - 19

Wednesday - 17.

Ipswich - 15

Leeds - 12

Derby - 10

Birmingham - 6

Bolton - 6

You could argue that some of those clubs not returning to the premier league in that time, like Forest, Wednesday or Leeds, is a bigger failure than us not getting there at all yet.

Forest isn't 19 years 

29 minutes ago, E.G.Red said:

Particularly as he is a city fan. He has made such a good job with the premier league going from strength to strength,, always quips that as a city fan he can remain impartial . His experience would be invaluable should we ever make it to the premier league.

His being a City fan is the reason I mentioned it.

52 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Not many fans know what Jon L actually does and I'm sure that many think there's an element of nepotism here.

As you say we hear very little from him or Keith Dawe for that matter.

Nepotism? Obviously! He'd hardly be on the board for his financial input, or his management experience

The input from JL or any board member is zero. SL's remark that LJ would be manager " as long as I want him to be" ........no trace of any board discussion there......same when Wilson went, SL sacked him during a phone call without any consulting with others. So it's hard to see what the. Board do other than rubber stamping

We've all fallen into the Sky marketing bollocks that football record before 1992 don't matter, which in this instance is particularly injurious to PNE who have done a league and cup double,

Suffuce to say the only club in the championship next season who haven't played in the top flight is Burton.

Archived