IGNORED

Supports City and Rovers

Top Robin

Just now, Top Robin said:

I was wondering if anybody know anyone who supports City and Rover with equal passion, goes to home games of each and wants them both to succeed? 

One guy I know just loves the game and goes to AG one week and the Mem the next. 

He reckoned it was because he enjoys live football.

10 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Each to their own I say.  Used to happen a lot.  

Used to happen a lot, but I get the impression from both of my grandfathers that you would go to watch your team one week and the other team the next, just to go with your mates, but would be rooting for the opposition.  One of my grandads is a dyed in the wool City fan (the reason why, when asked how long I've been a City fan I tend to say about 80 years!) and the other has a very passive interest, with a leaning towards Rovers but both used to do this and the mindset seems to have been a common thing.

Part of "loving" a team is taking on the rivalries as well (though I bloody hate derbies!).  I can't imagine it being possible to be wired in such a way as to "love" both teams, as the OP suggested.

In the 1950's and early sixties, I went to both wen I could. City because I supported them and Rovers just to see a game. Some notable one's at Eastville were Newcastle 1951 6th round replay. Everton in their only season out of the top tier since the war. And also Workington and Barrow in 3rd Division!

I always wanted the other team to win.

1 hour ago, Top Robin said:

I was wondering if anybody know anyone who supports City and Rover with equal passion, goes to home games of each and wants them both to succeed? 

Robbored?

2 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

In the 1950's and early sixties, I went to both wen I could. City because I supported them and Rovers just to see a game. Some notable one's at Eastville were Newcastle 1951 6th round replay. Everton in their only season out of the top tier since the war. And also Workington and Barrow in 3rd Division!

I always wanted the other team to win.

Out of interest, how did Rovers get on against Barrow, on that occasion..? 

:whistle:

I often watched Rovers in the 1950s and early 1960s 

In the 50s because of school chums supporting Rovers.

Can remember watching them play at Bolton in the late 50s 

The highlight was we had a night out in Blackpool 

Must admit they had decent teams at times.

My first City match was in the early 50s with my dad,had to be lifted over railings

As it was quite a crush.

Anyone remember the guy with the Robin on a stick and WW2 Helmet 

Anything Bristol gets my support but City have my heart

17 minutes ago, Victor Meldrew said:

**Must admit they had decent teams at times.**

My first City match was in the early 50s with my dad,had to be lifted over railings

As it was quite a crush.

** aww, come on, - surely you don't bloody believe that!

Back when football was cheap, and entertainment opportunities sparse, my Grandad used to go and watch both.  Mind you, he was from Cardiff originally, so no real allegiances either way.

Now, can't really imagine it, although surely those vile half-and-half scarves must have a market?

I wouldn't go as far as to say they support both teams, but it's quite common for students that are football fans to attend a few City and Rovers games. I went to uni with a Swansea City fan and he went to at least 10 City and Rovers games each year.

It's probably one of the main reasons why UWE and Bristol Rovers are so keen on the stadium on their land. Rovers get an influx of students attending their matches, and UWE get a stadium to host their own sporting events.

1 hour ago, Victor Meldrew said:

Must admit they had decent teams at times.

As it was quite a crush.

Ashton Alf, as opposed to Eastville Ernie.

My father went to both team's matches but was a City fan and started me off at the age of 7. As I played on Saturday afternoons from the age of 12 I used to watch as many matches as I could at both Ashton and Eastville as I enjoyed watching football. Only games on telly then was the Cup Final and Home Internationals many of which were played on a Wednesday afternoon.

As a nipper I went to both (mid 70's). City with my dad one week and the gas with my uncle the next. My old man wanted me to make my own mind up but it was always City for me as dad supported them plus the '76 side was building to it's eventual success.

Fair play for giving me the choice I guess although I wouldn't let my kids watch that crap! 

When I was at primary school (1980s) there was one kid I knew who went to Ashton Gate one week and Eastville the next, although he didn't really come across as a "fan" of either team - just someone who enjoyed going to matches.

Personally I can't imagine going to watch the blue few unless City are playing against them, and even then the sight of those silly quartered shirts make me feel a little bit sick.

There was a guy from Eastville in the late 80s who had a season ticket at both City and Rovers. When both teams were away on the same night or if only City were away and Rovers not playing he would travel on CATS to watch the City. He used to get some dreadful stick but took it in good heart.

10 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

Years ago . Some People went City one week . Gas the next . But I don't know of any today . 

Although a diehard City fan I can put my hand up for that. It was quite common back in the day.

16 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Although a diehard City fan I can put my hand up for that. It was quite common back in the day.

My old man is City through and through as yourself. His best mates were staunch gas . Cadbury Heath boys . His best man was one of rovers top lads back in the 70s . He went away with rovers to wolves I think it was . And other away games. Not so much at eastvile . But he's red and white. Very different back in those days. I would rather chop my bollocks off then watch they ******* . :laughcont:

Archived