IGNORED

When Flinty goes....

Eddie Notgetinya

I really hope he goes to a Premier League club, and I will hope he does fantastic and will look forward to his highlights. Going to another Championship club will be disappointing but I hope he does well again, except against us. As THE player of our double winning season he leave here as a bit of a legend that we will talk about in decades to come.

Just now, bissellredhead said:

I've never known anyone cheer an opposition player - applause if they're subbed off and have previously played for us don't see any problem with that tbh

Before this gets out of hand, no-one is saying they'd 'support' or 'cheer' an ex-player, this has merely developed into a debate about where you stand on ex-players returning. Either a) you ignore the lot of them or b) you'd clap some off/on the pitch for their time with us. Quite a simple binary choice.

2 minutes ago, bissellredhead said:

I've never known anyone cheer an opposition player - applause if they're subbed off and have previously played for us don't see any problem with that tbh

Not what the member for Norwich was alluding too, polite applause, etc is fine, for some I guess.

13 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

Scoring against us would be a distinct possibility.... what's laughable about that? 

Where on earth have I said that I'll cheer a goal against us? i would applaud the player for his service to our club, not during the game. 

I don't see the problem TBH.

3 minutes ago, EnclosureSurge said:

Before this gets out of hand, no-one is saying they'd 'support' or 'cheer' an ex-player, this has merely developed into a debate about where you stand on ex-players returning. Either a) you ignore the lot of them or b) you'd clap some off/on the pitch for their time with us. Quite a simple binary choice.

That sort of attitude is probably why this club has never played in the Prem....not saying you are wrong, just that I guess we are just too nice, and when we do try and be 'hard' we just look stupid :P  

2 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Where on earth have I said that I'll cheer a goal against us? i would applaud the player for his service to our club, not during the game. 

I don't see the problem TBH.

Look it's football, players move around, it's dynamic, no time for sentiment at all. I get your drift though, but some on here even advocate booing the Head Coach BEFORE a match...

Any speculation about how we will get on without Flint in our starting XI is just speculation.

Speculation on the basis we have only started 2 games in the last 170 without him. Phenominal record, he must be doing something right....

58 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

That sort of attitude is probably why this club has never played in the Prem....not saying you are wrong, just that I guess we are just too nice, and when we do try and be 'hard' we just look stupid :P  

There's a thousand and one reasons we haven't played in the top flight since 1980 (not to be ageist, and I'm no better than anyone cos I'm a bit older, but you're giving yourself away, there, a bit, mate, by saying we haven't played 'in the Prem' - no doubt you know we've been in the top division more than once, but no-one I know thinks of us as 'never played in the Prem'; what does that even mean, anyway? Is it preferable to playing in the First Division?) - but applauding an ex-player, or the attitude held therewithin (if there is one), sure ain't one of them.

To confuse matters - what about the teams in the Prem who applaud ex-players (and they all do it, we all do it)? How did they get there?

56 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

Look it's football, players move around, it's dynamic, no time for sentiment at all. I get your drift though, but some on here even advocate booing the Head Coach BEFORE a match...

All I want to do is give the big bloke polite applause in recognition of his efforts during a successful period for our club. He will always be a big part of that promotion side and we did it for Ayling last season so I don't really see the issue.

Booing the head coach before the game, even though I'm not his biggest fan, is just plain ridiculous!

1 hour ago, 1bristolcity said:

It's a dilemma for those that cheer any opposition player then, just worry about City I say, I am sure the players/ Management would say / do the same, but not some fans? Odd.:shutup:

Your first comment compared giving a "warm welcome" to cheering an opposition winner. If that's not odd, I don't know what is.

I'll give an ex player a clap when they first come out onto the pitch but when the game begins they're just another opponent looking to take points off us. The fans who clapped Freeman each time he took a corner against us last season were just an embarrassment 

3 hours ago, LC_ said:

I'll give an ex player a clap when they first come out onto the pitch but when the game begins they're just another opponent looking to take points off us. The fans who clapped Freeman each time he took a corner against us last season were just an embarrassment 

You get my point LC, well done mate. This isn't complicated TBH or am I missing something?

I really don't get selling players to rival teams in the same league...if he was going to a prem side then that's progress for the player in terms of career and obviously pay but to go to another Championship side doesn't make sense to me...might be getting shed loads for him but sometimes it's not all about money but keeping hold of your best players ...thats assuming the player wanted to stay in the first place ...:yawn:

1 hour ago, Slippin cider said:

I really don't get selling players to rival teams in the same league...if he was going to a prem side then that's progress for the player in terms of career and obviously pay but to go to another Championship side doesn't make sense to me...might be getting shed loads for him but sometimes it's not all about money but keeping hold of your best players ...thats assuming the player wanted to stay in the first place ...:yawn:

We`ve done the same many a time though - just in the last season or so, GON, Pato, Josh B, Bailey Wright, Scott Golbourne and now Baker were all signed from divisional rivals.

1 hour ago, Slippin cider said:

Reading between the lines it sounds like Flint and/or his agent was angling for the move and now he's getting one - doesn't seem like a player wanting to stay....

16 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Reading between the lines it sounds like Flint and/or his agent was angling for the move and now he's getting one - doesn't seem like a player wanting to stay....

Personally (and not ITK by any means) I think he may have asked his agent to see what`s about and might now be slightly regretting it as events perhaps have overtaken him somewhat.

I`ve probably misread things completely wrong though and am talking bollocks as usual!

17 hours ago, Davefevs said:

You don't post much, but you usually post very sensible stuff.

A generally good post, but looking at the detail would anybody seriously say Magnússon is currently a more effective defender than Flint, or Hegeler? Both deemed "upgrades" and both elegant players I'll grant you, but I know which if the three I'd rather have there. Fortunately Baker is a fair Flint clone - possibly better on the floor, not so strong in the sir.

1 minute ago, Leveller said:

A generally good post, but looking at the detail would anybody seriously say Magnússon is currently a more effective defender than Flint, or Hegeler? Both deemed "upgrades" and both elegant players I'll grant you, but I know which if the three I'd rather have there. Fortunately Baker is a fair Flint clone - possibly better on the floor, not so strong in the sir.

Not saying I agree with it all, but it's sensibly , thoughtfully written , as are most of his posts.

I think Flint is over-hyped, but he's still been great, it's just he has his deficiencies.  I haven't seen any if the pre-season friendlies this summer so can't comment on Hegeler in a 2.  I really liked Magnússon last season, thought he learned very quickly, and has a lot to offer. And I really liked Hegeler as the RCB in a three.  I was one of those touting to see him further forward where he could influence the game more, but alas, that didn't work.  I hope it was because it was new and a shock, because I could tell he is a fine footballer. We will have to wait and see.

Baker is different in some ways to Flint, but I agree with "possibly better on the floor, not so strong in the air".  Baker wants to make a tackle, Flint doesn't make many.  Baker is a leader, organiser, I think Flint leads by example.  Both good though.  I don't think we'll miss Flint as much as people think, but we will of course miss him, there are bound to be things he brings us that we'll all be saying 'Flint wouldn't have let that happen'.

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

Personally (and not ITK by any means) I think he may have asked his agent to see what`s about and might now be slightly regretting it as events perhaps have overtaken him somewhat.

I`ve probably misread things completely wrong though and am talking bollocks as usual!

I think you might not be far adrift RHR.

My feeling is that Flint's agent made him aware of another club's interest - perhaps Leeds - a bigger club offering him a big hike in wages.

I'm guessing he/agent told us and we have been getting interest and won;t want an unsettled player staying at the club, however, because he's on a long term contract we will want best price. It might now be the case that his chosen club won't match what we want and another club, say Birmingham, will, but are not a club to which he wants to move. With us bringing in Baker, almost certainly as Flint's replacement, it looks like Flint has made his bed and now has to lie in it, as there might not now be a way back.

It would also explain his comment to RedM, when asked about his moving  he said  "it's out of my hands", not because the club are forcing him out, but because he wanted a move but that he now finds himself no longer in total control of his destiny.

Ive no animosity towards Flint, and I don't begrudge him a move to improve his earnings and his career, but if this is the way things have unfolded, I bet his agent didn't tell him this could be the outcome. 

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Not saying I agree with it all, but it's sensibly , thoughtfully written , as are most of his posts.

I think Flint is over-hyped, but he's still been great, it's just he has his deficiencies.  I haven't seen any if the pre-season friendlies this summer so can't comment on Hegeler in a 2.  I really liked Magnússon last season, thought he learned very quickly, and has a lot to offer. And I really liked Hegeler as the RCB in a three.  I was one of those touting to see him further forward where he could influence the game more, but alas, that didn't work.  I hope it was because it was new and a shock, because I could tell he is a fine footballer. We will have to wait and see.

Baker is different in some ways to Flint, but I agree with "possibly better on the floor, not so strong in the air".  Baker wants to make a tackle, Flint doesn't make many.  Baker is a leader, organiser, I think Flint leads by example.  Both good though.  I don't think we'll miss Flint as much as people think, but we will of course miss him, there are bound to be things he brings us that we'll all be saying 'Flint wouldn't have let that happen'.

It's  a case of pros and cons Dave.

Tomlin was the most ta;rented player on our books but we became a better team when he was not playing.

Most fans see Flint as our best defender, and understandably so,  but who is to say that we won't become a better and stronger defence without him but with a different central defensive partnership?

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

Certainly sounds that way based on what @RedM was saying after the Twente game. Sounds like the club have now called his bluff and he's having second thoughts. 

16 hours ago, 1bristolcity said:

If you look at modern life most things are binary or if you don't get that they are 1 or 0 or off and on and we have played in division one which was the prem before some Aussie bar steward took over football.

• Admin
18 hours ago, 1bristolcity said:

Fans at Old Trafford gave Beckham and Ronaldo warm welcomes on their return. With that sort of attitude I bet they never won anything. 

On 29/07/2017 at 13:24, MarkRed! said:

Flint has been brilliant for us and for 200k, great value for money. If the club can get 4 million plus then that is good business. He is 28 and his value will only go down. Great business. That said, for me Flint will always go down as a legend of the club and he deserves to be. Majestic in our promotion season. I have his shirt from the Preston away game (1-1), and it is torn to pieces. Put his body on the line and should always be welcomed back to City.

However, the presentation of him as a top centre back in the media and from some fans does make me smile; he has no pace, gets done on the turn and is culpable for some horrific defensive displays over the past 2 seasons and when he first joined us. In fact, I remember a 5-4 showing at Coventry (northampton) when he and Fontaine were hopelessly done by one ball over the top, time and time again!. If we are to get to the PL then we need better players. Baker is an upgrade, Mags is an upgrade and Hegeler could be a dark horse in this position from what i have seen. I expect Hegeler and Wright to be the CB pairing at least for the first couple of games....

I dont think Flint's departure will weaken us. So let's just say thank you to Aiden and wish him well.

Some players deserve a lot of praise for what they have done for Bristol City, Flint is one of them and if he goes he should be thanked for his service with a warm welcome when he returns to the Gate.

Archived