IGNORED

4 year old 1st game on Saturday

Mrdc

After much asking I have agreed to take my 4 year old to her first game on Saturday this means moving from my great seat on the half way of the Dolman stand,to the new family section in the corner of the Landsdown stand.

Does anybody have any advice on how to surrive this experience and makes sure she has a great time.

We live in Swindon, so it's really important to ensure she supports the right club.

6 minutes ago, boatman said:

After much asking I have agreed to take my 4 year old to her first game on Saturday this means moving from my great seat on the half way of the Dolman stand,to the new family section in the corner of the Landsdown stand.

Does anybody have any advice on how to surrive this experience and makes sure she has a great time.

We live in Swindon, so it's really important to ensure she supports the right club.

I've been taking my (now) 3 year old regularly last season. 

He doesn't really get the game much, but he likes the crowd, the player getting injured and "having a baddie" and he loves being in & around the stadium. 

You need several packets of crisps/sweets to occupy them, without making them sick! That will buy you some time, when they think it's time to get distracted and start pissing you and those around you off. 

They will soon pick up the words to songs and he's always walking around singing "olay olay olay olay, Bristol City" and "come on you Reds" Next season I'll teach him the Warnock & Holloway ditties..! 

It's hard work, but it's great when you see them enjoying it. 

13 minutes ago, boatman said:

Make sure you have plenty of sweets and drinks, toys and books as well as they get bored easily at that age. Oh and def make sure of a visit to the toilet before the game starts! :laugh:

46 minutes ago, boatman said:

I took my then 4 year old daughter to her first game last season and she has been back a fair bit since. Sweets are a must. I also went in the club shop and brought a teddy/robin. She carries that with her. It's not actually bad. Don't expect to discuss tactics or them to even watch 80% of the game but nice thing to do together. 

I am genuinely consideirng taking her to Birmingham next week for her first away day. Do something like slimbridge on the way so I don't feel like a bad dad. Anyone taken little ones to away days? 

55 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

@AdamB are kids going for their 1st time still entitled to a cap?

Done this with my lad for the Birmingham match, last game of the season.

He had a amazing day and got presented a cap on the pitch at half time, i made sure he knew how lucky he was being on the hallowed turf of Ashton Gate.

It was a great day and he loved every minute and he has been asking me if he can go again, chuffed to bits :)

@boatman if they still do this i recommend it for your daughter, its a nice touch from the club and it makes them feel special. Also a trip to Grenville park before the game, visit the club shop to buy her some City goodies and like others have said take sweets.

9 hours ago, Xspence said:

Do something like slimbridge on the way so I don't feel like a bad dad.

I'm lying here in a room with my wife asleep on the other side of the room And our 1 year old lad in a cot between us. It's 30 degrees at 2300hrs and I'm on the verge of waking them because I'm laughing my tits off at the above. 

Thanks a lot. 

I'm in the same boat, leaving everyone behind in the Dolman to sit up in the gods with my 4 year old in the family stand. I was running out of excuses whenever I went to the football so decided to get him and myself a season. I'm more worried about sitting on my jack in the family stand on evening games when I won't be taking him- he's in bed for 1930, there's no way he'll make ft. 

8 hours ago, Simez said:

I'm in the same boat, leaving everyone behind in the Dolman to sit up in the gods with my 4 year old in the family stand. I was running out of excuses whenever I went to the football so decided to get him and myself a season. I'm more worried about sitting on my jack in the family stand on evening games when I won't be taking him- he's in bed for 1930, there's no way he'll make ft. 

I wouldn't worry about sitting on your own, they're generally a friendly bunch in the family stand as everyone has kids in common!

Having said that, I've moved out of it this year just because I didn't fancy being perched up in the corner of the West Stand.

18 hours ago, Simez said:

For night matches once you`re in you can sit where you like - there`s always loads of empty seats in the lower bowl with folks that can`t make them for whatever reason. Have a look and see if your old Dolman seat is still available for sale and just sit in it if you`re on your own - sorted.

Archived