IGNORED

Barnsley fans starting to arrive in Bristol

Major Isewater

25 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

IMG_1784.JPG

Not from Barnsley - not a whippet or flat cap in sight, bah gum!

Mind you this is a bit rich coming from a West Country yokel isn't it me babbers?

For those of my generation (and older);

image.png.dcda1ece10b6cd7a9d0f7c606d9569f3.png

Barnsley bitter was so appreciated by the locals, Barnsley FC used to kick off at 3.15pm, not 3.00 so that miners could have a pint after their shift before getting to the game at Oakwell. I believe Bass bought them up and closed the brewery. As a result there were protest marches through the streets and the kick off time was amended to 3.00pm as the replacement beer wasn't so good.

41 minutes ago, Taxi for Johnson said:

......... can I assume the OTIB mods are turning a blind eye to regional stereotyping this week then?

tfj

Yeah along with returning banned members

37 minutes ago, 22A said:

For those of my generation (and older);

image.png.dcda1ece10b6cd7a9d0f7c606d9569f3.png

Barnsley bitter was so appreciated by the locals, Barnsley FC used to kick off at 3.15pm, not 3.00 so that miners could have a pint after their shift before getting to the game at Oakwell. I believe Bass bought them up and closed the brewery. As a result there were protest marches through the streets and the kick off time was amended to 3.00pm as the replacement beer wasn't so good.

The Brewery was in Oakwell not far from the ground and was bought by John Smiths of the most shocking beer one can now find these days. Barnsley Bitter is now brewed by Acorn Brewery in Barnsley owned by Dave Hughes who actually supports Blackpool!

16 minutes ago, cheshire_red said:

The Brewery was in Oakwell not far from the ground and was bought by John Smiths of the most shocking beer one can now find these days.

Thanks for the correction. It says everything that last Christmas my manager gave me 12 cans of John Smiths Bitter. It was March before i drank the 12th! 

5 hours ago, cheshire_red said:

The Brewery was in Oakwell not far from the ground and was bought by John Smiths of the most shocking beer one can now find these days. Barnsley Bitter is now brewed by Acorn Brewery in Barnsley owned by Dave Hughes who actually supports Blackpool!

I agree entirely, although there used to be a Sam Smiths - there might still be - and that was a lovely pint.

Yes, Sam Smiths still going strong although old Humphrey is a right old downer, no swearing in his pubs or you are barred and managers sacked for playing music or not getting 78 pints out of a 72 pint firkin, I kid you not, nice big heads to get 78 from a barrel with at most 69 drinkable pints.

Archived