IGNORED

Barriers in the Winterstoke Rd car park

Robbored

Anyone know why they're necessary? Seems a bit pointless to me  unless it's more revenue fir the club.......:facepalm:

Long delays after the Senior Reds lunch last week. People getting irate with the time it was taking to exit the car park.

One bloke operating the barrier...........just trying to help I guess.

The official line is that they wanted to stop people parking in the car park who then commute into town, or to places nearby for work. They apparently had people parking in the car park at the ground because there were no restrictions and they could park there all day for free. 

Car park is noticeably more quiet whenever I've gone down there in the week since the barriers were installed. Can't help but think that most of the spaces were used by club employees though, who are now just parking on local roads. 

You do get an hour free, or it's free if you spend £5 in the club shop, coffee shop, or pizzeria. 

19 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

The official line is that they wanted to stop people parking in the car park who then commute into town, or to places nearby for work. They apparently had people parking in the car park at the ground because there were no restrictions and they could park there all day for free. 

Car park is noticeably more quiet whenever I've gone down there in the week since the barriers were installed. Can't help but think that most of the spaces were used by club employees though, who are now just parking on local roads. 

You do get an hour free, or it's free if you spend £5 in the club shop, coffee shop, or pizzeria. 

What - club employees can't even park there? 

14 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It is annoying. Many times last season they forgot to open them and a bottleneck forms.

I think you're on about something else, this is a barrier on the Winterstoke Road entrance/exit, that you need a ticket to get in and out of.  

7 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

What - club employees can't even park there? 

Not without paying. Although I suspect those higher than most of the minions there will have a way round it ;) 

29 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

The official line is that they wanted to stop people parking in the car park who then commute into town, or to places nearby for work. They apparently had people parking in the car park at the ground because there were no restrictions and they could park there all day for free

Reasonable enough I guess. Those barriers must have been expensive to install so why not just employ a traffic warden part time to dish out tickets if people aren't using the club facilities.

Anyone staying over and hour gets a ticket.

It'll probably deter casual cafe users tho.

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

Reasonable enough I guess. Those barriers must have been expensive to install so why not just employ a traffic warden part time to dish out tickets if people aren't using the club facilities.

Anyone staying over and hour gets a ticket.

It'll probably deter casual cafe users tho.

I know the senior reds are, well, senior but why on earth would anybody hire a full time employee to look after a couple of hundred car parking spaces in this day and age?  What a waste of money.  Surely everyone driving a car has used a ticket machine before?

It won't deter anyone using the cafe as they'll just get their ticket endorsed.

15 minutes ago, Nibor said:

I know the senior reds are, well, senior but why on earth would anybody hire a full time employee to look after a couple of hundred car parking spaces in this day and age?  What a waste of money.  Surely everyone driving a car has used a ticket machine before?

It won't deter anyone using the cafe as they'll just get their ticket endorsed.

Senior Reds get free tickets. It's the time it takes to exit the car park that irritates.

Rather than spending money on barriers to stop people parking free all day but not using the AG facilities a traffic warden two or three hours every morning weekday to dish out parking tickets might well have been more prudent.

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Senior Reds get free tickets. It's the time it takes to exit the car park that irritates.

Rather than spending money on barriers to stop people parking free all day but not using the AG facilities a traffic warden two or three hours every morning weekday to dish out parking tickets might well have been more prudent.

Seems rather a churlish thing to whine about when you're getting free tickets.  I doubt very much paying an employee is cheaper than putting barriers in, as evidenced by just about every other car park in the entire world.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

How would a traffic warden have any powers in a privately owned car park ?

6 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

How would a traffic warden have any powers in a privately owned car park ?

I'm sure other privately owned car parks have the powers to issue fines. That said I don't actually know what the legislation is but had the powers in AG thought of it they'd have researched the matter.

36 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I'm sure other privately owned car parks have the powers to issue fines. That said I don't actually know what the legislation is but had the powers in AG thought of it they'd have researched the matter.

If you get a parking ticket in a private car park, you can just ignore it. They will send you a fine and warning letters, but it's massively unlikely that they will take it to court. They just rely on people not having the nerve not to pay the fine. 

The key is that nobody except the police and the council can issue fines.  Traffic wardens are police employees and can issue fines but don't deal with private car parks.  I assumed Robbored meant parking attendant.  Private companies cannot impose fines or penalties. 

All a private company running a car park can do is send you a bill for parking charges.  They will try and make it look threatening and like a penalty, in particular by telling you it will double if you do not pay up quickly.  If there was very clear signage you could be deemed to have entered into a contract by parking there if taken to court for it.  They almost never do that though as it is not economical and extremely easy to defend.

9 hours ago, Robbored said:

Why have all you Senior Reds got to exit at the same time? Gradually drift away, go to the shop or something. As mentioned if you get free tickets to park, something that only senior staff get by the way, you can't complain if you all race to your cars to get out at the same time!

31 minutes ago, RedM said:

Why have all you Senior Reds got to exit at the same time? Gradually drift away, go to the shop or something. As mentioned if you get free tickets to park, something that only senior staff get by the way, you can't complain if you all race to your cars to get out at the same time!

Because once the lunch is over everyone departs AG around the same time and until last week it was never a problem exiting the car park.

Last week the barriers caused a long delay and people were complaining about it. The guy operating the barrier was decidedly flustered! 

35 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Because once the lunch is over everyone departs AG around the same time and until last week it was never a problem exiting the car park.

Last week the barriers caused a long delay and people were complaining about it. The guy operating the barrier was decidedly flustered! 

Try going down there once if not twice a week for various things over the summer break and into last week, (meetings, sorting out the supporters club etc) never getting a free lunch, and either having to pay for parking, or being there so long, I've had to buy my own lunch to get the parking free! ;) 

40 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Then maybe the parking should have some sort of restriction? Maybe only Senior Reds with disability Blue Badges (is that still the correct pass?), should be able to park for free. The rest can pay or park on the street, this surely would cut down the queues. How many cars are we talking about by the way?

I hope when I'm eventually retired that I will stop rushing around, do enough of that whilst working. I intend living life at a slower pace, i certainly won't be chomping at the bit to exit a car park.

11 hours ago, One hair on my chin said:

Why does it take so long to get out of the ground after final whistle from the South Stand, I was waiting ages in my seat as nothing was moving?

I suspect, like me, you are well above the vomitory, where everyone congregates at the final whistle applauding the players, blocking anyone going out. Once they start moving, those below the vomitory seem to go (be allowed?) out first. 

They clear 80,000+ out of the Nou Camp quicker than you can leave Ashton Gate. 

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Was he raising and lowering the barrier each time someone went through? Why not just open it until all has passed through? Non-senior reds just need to show their ticket… Senior Reds show what they needed to get in… 

15 hours ago, Dollymarie said:

I think you're on about something else, this is a barrier on the Winterstoke Road entrance/exit, that you need a ticket to get in and out of.  

Not without paying. Although I suspect those higher than most of the minions there will have a way round it ;) 

So people who actually work at the ground cannot park in the ground car park for free? They have to pay to park at work? That is disgusting! 

9 hours ago, Nibor said:

The key is that nobody except the police and the council can issue fines.  Traffic wardens are police employees and can issue fines but don't deal with private car parks.  I assumed Robbored meant parking attendant.  Private companies cannot impose fines or penalties. 

All a private company running a car park can do is send you a bill for parking charges.  They will try and make it look threatening and like a penalty, in particular by telling you it will double if you do not pay up quickly.  If there was very clear signage you could be deemed to have entered into a contract by parking there if taken to court for it.  They almost never do that though as it is not economical and extremely easy to defend.

This has shifted slightly after the courts found in favour of a parking company where there was limited time parking that had been outstayed (Parkingeye v Beavis):

Prior to the Beavis case, only around 2-5% of cases went to court per year. This is likely to have risen, with parking firms being emboldened by the decision in Beavis.

Full detail here:

http://www.devonlive.com/news/motoring/you-pay-parking-charge-notice-326724

If the signage is unclear or obscured, which you can evidence by photographs, then they won't win and won't take you to court.  I saved a friend a £60 charge on this basis.

1 minute ago, Eddie Hitler said:

This has shifted slightly after the courts found in favour of a parking company where there was limited time parking that had been outstayed (Parkingeye v Beavis):

Full detail here:

http://www.devonlive.com/news/motoring/you-pay-parking-charge-notice-326724

If the signage is unclear or obscured, which you can evidence by photographs, then they won't win and won't take you to court.  I saved a friend a £60 charge on this basis.

Is this an assault on our civil liberties??

This country becomes more like North Korea every day.

tfj  :laughcont:

6 minutes ago, Red white and red said:

So people who actually work at the ground cannot park in the ground car park for free? They have to pay to park at work? That is disgusting! 

NHS staff have to pay at most hospitals and as part of general "eco" (= taxation and control) it has been mooted that all employers will be "encouraged" to follow suit.

Up to £80 a month:

https://www.unison.org.uk/news/press-release/2017/04/hospital-staff-paying-extortionate-charges-to-park-at-work-says-unison/

6 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

NHS staff have to pay at most hospitals and as part of general "eco" (= taxation and control) it has been mooted that all employers will be "encouraged" to follow suit.

Up to £80 a month:

https://www.unison.org.uk/news/press-release/2017/04/hospital-staff-paying-extortionate-charges-to-park-at-work-says-unison/

Not that it's an excuse - but .............

Small island - ever increasing population - it's only going to get worse ...............

tfj 

The problem with City not letting staff park there during the week is that they still drive to work but just park on Gerald, Raynes, Smyth etc roads at a time when there is an awful lot of resentment  within the local community at the problems that poor parking cause on matchdays. There'd be a lot more criticism if it was common knowledge that even staff can't park in the place!

4 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

The problem with City not letting staff park there during the week is that they still drive to work but just park on Gerald, Raynes, Smyth etc roads at a time when there is an awful lot of resentment  within the local community at the problems that poor parking cause on matchdays. There'd be a lot more criticism if it was common knowledge that even staff can't park in the place!

Surely they could be given a pass to get in, they don't have to pay for it? I had a free pass at WSM College, you couldn't get in without one.

Archived