IGNORED

Nice Touch

SedRA

3 hours ago, RedSA said:

No, not my ability to kill a long ball instantly whilst sprinting full speed. 

Call it corporate PR or whatever but thought this was a nice little message from the club and LJ for those receiving their GCSE results today. 

And for any young'uns reading I very much agree that if you doesn't get the results you want, it doesn't mean the end of the road by any stretch! I have plenty of evidence for that :)

Really nice touch that. Well done BCFC and well done LJ. And good luck to all of you and your kids that are getting results today! 

1 hour ago, Septic Peg said:

I have 9 gcses A - C and 3 a levels. Never once had to show my certificates. No idea where they are either. May have been binned!

23 minutes ago, RedM said:

I'm old enough to have O Levels and CSE's, worked bloody hard and got a clean sweep of excellent grades ( before anyone jumps in and says I'm bragging carry on reading....) My point is that I pretty much never used them. It was a means to getting to college and from there I got other qualifications and experience which enabled me to get a career.

All you have to prove Is your ability to learn. Showing you can be reliable in holding down a 'pocket money' job whilst at school is another thing that got me infront of many. I've noticed that counted for a lot when my own children were going through their first steps from education to work too. 

Good of the club to do this, I know many kids will think it's the end of the world today despite what their parents tell them, but they might listen to someone like a football manager or player. Many people have failed at school and gone on to do well at a different college or as Lee mentions Bristol City do education courses and retakes etc, sometimes it just needs a different teacher and different surroundings. Best of luck all. 

I was a could try harder pupil (i.e could try) never used my results once until the age of 47(not even the meaning of life the universe and everything) my mother GRHS gave me every bit of  c r a p she ever had about me and told me to put it safe place

when asked to show exam results I knew exactly where too look but whole house and attic didn't help much.

and for any youngsters out there as a person you are better than an exam result and achieve your dreams

Reading through this thread about importance of exam results. Moreso now than the past I reckon.

Also suspect that certain industries are hotter on it than others. As Phileas said you could fake exam results. Of course you could, easiest thing in the world to change it on CV.

They may well tend to check with the school/college though so you could soon be found out!

On that theme of exams, importance and the like. Masters degrees? Fantastic. Broaden horizons intellectually? Lovely. Or skill base for higher salary, job role? Terrific.

Always held the instinctive view though that experience or experience plus degree- unless it's specific or niche or similar Masters can be more useful than degree plus masters.

Who knows though, employers seem to keep changing their views. Main point is that though important for sure, failing at 16 need not be disaster or doom!

2 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Absolutely! I have never once had to prove my GCSE results, so if any youngsters reading, didn't quite get the results they had hoped for, don't worry. When you fill out a job application, just put the results that you would liked to have a achieved and the jobs a good 'un!

Just a warning , before you influence too many

.....it does happen  to  a criminal offence 

Not judging , just pointing out

People should at least be aware of the possible consequences .....

2 minutes ago, Mad Cyril said:

Contrary to what it says on my CV, I dont actually have 11 GCSEs, 4 A-levels, a 1st class degree in medical science and i certainly dont have a real PhD in gynaecology.

Nevertheless I bloody love my job....

Deliveroo?

8 minutes ago, iamalagerdrinker said:

Apolgiges, thought it was just one. Will sort out later!

Yeah you have a massive copy & paste of a Magnússon tweet, and then for some reason a copy of paste of the Bristol Post blocking you on twitter both quite irrelevant. 

Don't mean to be a spoil sport, but just one post from yourself, takes up a page of a computer screen.

24 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

That's right. Jobs with particularly tough competition do their due diligence. Far better to be safe than sorry.

14 minutes ago, Mad Cyril said:

Contrary to what it says on my CV, I dont actually have 11 GCSEs, 4 A-levels, a 1st class degree in medical science and i certainly dont have a real PhD in gynaecology.

Nevertheless I bloody love my job....

You just like poking your nose in other people's business don't you Cyril? :shocking:

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Surprised to see so many downplaying their importance - both GCSEs and A-Levels are important exams.

Granted, you can do very well without them - but it's always going to be an advantage to do well in them.

Also unwise to lie about them, these days schools will naturally be far better at collating information digitally so an employer can verify though that, they won't ask for certificates.  

Jut finished series 5 of Suits....I bet there's a few out there who lie on their cv who are worried now!

• Admin
18 minutes ago, Coxy27 said:

@iamalagerdrinker - Do you have to have two large images in your tag? - This comes up every time you post, bit annoying, especially on mobile!

7 minutes ago, Cider-Head23 said:

Yeah you have a massive copy & paste of a Magnússon tweet, and then for some reason a copy of paste of the Bristol Post blocking you on twitter both quite irrelevant. 

Don't mean to be a spoil sport, but just one post from yourself, takes up a page of a computer screen.

It's possible to turn off viewing signatures if you want a more streamlined look when browsing threads. 

You can turn turn them off here:

http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/settings/signature/

7 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

That's right. Jobs with particularly tough competition do their due diligence. Far better to be safe than sorry.

Sounds like an easy quick fix solution doesn't it PF 

Then see how a conviction for Obtaining Pecuniary Advantage by Deception  works out from then on

A ex neighbour of mine , no convictions , in his 30s , got six months for amending his A level results to get on a course at Bristol  Uni , and the grant , he (would have been) entitled to

32 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

If they think it's a good idea to be influenced by "careers advice" on here, then they probably need all the "help" they can get..! 

16 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Correct, just accepted a new job offer and all qualifications (GCSEs, A levels, Degree and professional), credit check and a list of assets and liabilities have been requested.

They will be checked too.

Convince them with something else rather than grades but don't lie, it could come back to haunt you in 20 odd years 

38 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Section82 are delighted to announce they got an A* in GCSE smoke bombing.

14 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

If they think it's a good idea to be influenced by "careers advice" on here, then they probably need all the "help" they can get..! 

Accept you weren't trying to influence or seriously suggest but there will always be the odd one who reads something and thinks , ' actually that's a good idea'

Just wanted to point out the potential consequences if anyone did

One of those things that seems like a good idea at the time until it goes ***** up

;)

1 hour ago, WTFiGO!?! said:

The message "be the best you can be, work hard and you'll have a great life" grates a bit with me because it's often not true (it is a Tory lie) - there is much, much more to people's life chances than that and it is psychologically damaging for the individual to believe otherwise.

Lee Johnson was blessed with 'athleticism', a very rare opportunity and the chance of being a part of a glamorous, multi-million pound industry.  I'm not suggesting he also didn't work hard or "become the best he could be" but he was dealt a very favourable hand in life.

Still, fair play to him for the sentiment and I wish the best to our 16 y/o's, especially the ones who didn't get what they had hoped for today.

It is a damn right lie and tantamount to child abuse to tell teenagers these exams will dictate their entire future.  It's an absolutely disgusting message!

Your message appears to be: don't try or work hard because it's easier being a victim and blame others for your situation :facepalm:

What's damaging? It is that some people nowadays think that you don't have to work hard for success.

4 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Is a nice message. Well done LJ.

Noticed at the bottom of the tweet, and this is possibly irrelevant but "09:01 - 24 Aug 2017 · South East, England "

Seen it on a couple of others, e.g. FGW tweets and similar. Wondered if anyone knew why?

I believe it is where the IT provider is based.  The video has to go through them to get published.  I had similar as BT Internet are based in Middlesborough and very often I was confused (easily done) when it showed me as being up there - a couple of hundred miles away from my actual location.  I had to contact them about something else, but asked them about this and that was their answer. Hope this helps.

1 hour ago, bcfcfinker said:

Your message appears to be: don't try or work hard because it's easier being a victim and blame others for your situation :facepalm:

What's damaging? It is that some people nowadays think that you don't have to work hard for success.

That is not what I intended to convey, I advocate hard work and personal responsibility.

What's damaging is the belief that life is fair - which it patently is not and that rewards are directly correlated to work rate - which regularly they are not. 

It is certainly more complicated than hard work = guaranteed 'great life' and can be damaging to believe otherwise.  

The message should read "Work hard, become the best you can be and you are more likely to have a great life".  

Although I've over-scrutinised Lee Johnson here who I'm sure was just trying to be encouraging, credit to him for that.

well done LJ, lovely message and so true.

I have 5 kids (3 a bit of a way off doing the exams and 2 have gone past them and now at Uni).

Exams are all well and good, but I did use a bit of "artistic license" with mine in the past (never even passed any O levels or A levels and I am now a company director and have been for 20 years!). This is the best piece of advice I could find for my kids, from young Arnie Schwarzenegger:

https://opisina.wordpress.com/2012/03/01/6-rules-of-success-arnold-schwarzenegger

Archived