IGNORED

Social Media v The Club

SARJ

For those unaware, the Derby fan who posted Twitter abuse about Billy Sharp's son has received a lifetime ban from the club, and rightly so:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-41093804

However, this case does raise an interesting scenario: should what you post about your club/potential opponents on the internet deserve to get you banned by the club itself?

Obviously the above link is an abhorrent case where the perpetrator was rightly banned IMO, but does this open the floodgates for other cases that are not so severe? I.e. in City's example, a disgruntled City fan savagely mocks Lee Johnson on his own personal Facebook account. This is picked up by the club who decide to ban him.

Good! 

People think they are all too free to be vile, without comeback on social media. 

Why should anyone be attacked by someone who doesn't know them, on Facebook, Twitter or anywhere else..? 

It's a form of bullying and I think most people detest bullying. 

• Admin

People that live their lives on social media will always get hassle

Look at Somerset's Pete Trego as an example, he is on twitter all the time, loving the adulation when things are going well and reminding us all how great things are. As soon as it goes bad he is up in arms people are picking holes in his performance

BUT, this example went far past any lines of decency, abusing someone about the death of their child has to be one of the lowest things someone can do, as much as many City fans no doubt still detest Billy Sharp I'd like to think none of our supporters were so badly educated that they thought it was acceptable to post anything like that - I can remember at the time seeing many messages of support for Sharp for supporters of all clubs.

Getting banned by a club is an interesting one though, I could understand criminal action being taking against the poster, and guess like many football bans one just follows the other - but agree with the OP it does potentially open a can of worms of where does this all stop

About time. I saw something the other day (think it was from Korey Smith's partner) that had a picture of racist abuse he had received over social media and it baffles me the way people act. Really think clubs should set an example and show these guys for what they are and deliver the relevant punishment. Majority of people who do this tend to be younger guys who think it means nothing and they can get away with it. 

Social media? I suspect it will become a markedly bigger problem across society in the future.

This individual was rightly banned but it opens up a can of worms.

Criminal action...again, an interesting area. The laws on it generally speaking are not tough enough, not considering the potential for mayhem. Never mind abuse for a second, that's bad enough but mayhem that can be caused via it.

• Admin
20 minutes ago, WRERE said:

About time. I saw something the other day (think it was from Korey Smith's partner) that had a picture of racist abuse he had received over social media and it baffles me the way people act. Really think clubs should set an example and show these guys for what they are and deliver the relevant punishment. Majority of people who do this tend to be younger guys who think it means nothing and they can get away with it. 

Why would someone be following a players partner on social media?

12 minutes ago, phantom said:

Why would someone be following a players partner on social media?

It was from that FB group so that should explain it. I tried to find the screenshot I saw but I can't atm. On a side note, she has a much bigger following on social media than Korey does as she runs some sort of fashion blog. 

If you think abuse and in some cases, threats, is bad, you should look up a whole new phenomenon which is much worse- it may have started in the States.

Regardless, it is called "Impersonation Accounts". This is as distinct from an amusing parody account, for example.

http://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to/social-networks/how-report-someone-impersonating-you-on-facebook-or-twitter-3657210/

24 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Assume you are talking about LJ and the calls for his head in Jan-April?

Technically yes...but it comes with the territory. We all know this, he would surely get a decent payoff, some other club would probably hire him.

I wanted him gone . Posters around Bristol personally attacking the guy . It's not part of the game , we like to think it is as it's easier to pass off. Hiding behind a keyboard while posting vitriol. Today's society for you , cowards 

6 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

If you think abuse and in some cases, threats, is bad, you should look up a whole new phenomenon which is much worse- it may have started in the States.

Regardless, it is called "Impersonation Accounts". This is as distinct from an amusing parody account, for example.

http://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to/social-networks/how-report-someone-impersonating-you-on-facebook-or-twitter-3657210/

Wasnt it Bill Bailey who only signed up to Twitter because there was someone pretending to be him?

10 minutes ago, shelts said:

I wanted him gone . Posters around Bristol personally attacking the guy . It's not part of the game , we like to think it is as it's easier to pass off. Hiding behind a keyboard while posting vitriol. Today's society for you , cowards 

I don't agree with personal attacks no. However it's just superseded chanting at a ground in some ways. Depends on the nature of the Tweets too- don't really use Twitter so much myself, but..."You're crap, Johnson out" is one example of a theoretical tweet? Well it's not great but...

@JamesBCFC It sounds vaguely familiar.

18 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I don't agree with personal attacks no. However it's just superseded chanting at a ground in some ways. Depends on the nature of the Tweets too- don't really use Twitter so much myself, but..."You're crap, Johnson out" is one example of a theoretical tweet? Well it's not great but...

I get what your saying and yes that don't seem too bad . ' you don't know what your doing' again isn't massively over the top. You've made a good point 

8 hours ago, phantom said:

As soon as it goes bad he is up in arms people are picking holes in his performance

He did get abuse telling him he was worthless after a close T20 defeat, though, telling (not advising) him to give up the game when he's one of Somerset's finest pros of the past decade... he may have got upset at other times, too, Phants, I dunno, I don't do twit.

12 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Well said mate. Take last season r.e. Johnson. I'm all for voicing your criticism over a manager that wasn't up to scratch. Attack his tactics, choice of substitutions etc, but no need to make it personal with the midget/dwarf stuff. Football fans seem incapable of keeping football and personal criticisms separate.

38 minutes ago, SARJ said:

Well said mate. Take last season r.e. Johnson. I'm all for voicing your criticism over a manager that wasn't up to scratch. Attack his tactics, choice of substitutions etc, but no need to make it personal with the midget/dwarf stuff. Football fans seem incapable of keeping football and personal criticisms separate.

Great post . 

21 hours ago, SARJ said:

For those unaware, the Derby fan who posted Twitter abuse about Billy Sharp's son has received a lifetime ban from the club, and rightly so:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-41093804

However, this case does raise an interesting scenario: should what you post about your club/potential opponents on the internet deserve to get you banned by the club itself?

Obviously the above link is an abhorrent case where the perpetrator was rightly banned IMO, but does this open the floodgates for other cases that are not so severe? I.e. in City's example, a disgruntled City fan savagely mocks Lee Johnson on his own personal Facebook account. This is picked up by the club who decide to ban him.

Someone - often on twitter, but not in this instance - made a direct, physical threat of violence to our head coach last season, to his face, witnessed by many bystanders, and he was not banned by the club; or, put it this way, not immediately, as he was still seen every week for another 5 or 6 months around the place. However, it is unlikely the agressor in question will be seen at AG more than once a season from now on. 

Archived