IGNORED

Sky Sports next year - Live Championship games

elhombrecito

25 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Heard it on 5 live. Was a little short on details but will require subscription.

Wasn't that for the EFL service that they are expanding to allow streaming of all games outside the 3pm saturday window on club websites to UK residents, so basically Ifollow for non ex-pats but you don't get the saturday games is the way I understood what I heard on 5 live this morning.

I assume the Sky coverage will come with your Sky sports football subscription.

12 minutes ago, Spud55 said:

Wasn't that for the EFL service that they are expanding to allow streaming of all games outside the 3pm saturday window on club websites to UK residents, so basically Ifollow for non ex-pats but you don't get the saturday games is the way I understood what I heard on 5 live this morning.

I assume the Sky coverage will come with your Sky sports football subscription.

I was only half listening so stand to be corrected by your good self Spud but got the impression that subscription was needed. 

23 minutes ago, Nomad said:

I was only half listening so stand to be corrected by your good self Spud but got the impression that subscription was needed. 

Yea I can't say I was giving it full attention on my drive to work either, but I believe subscription was only mentioned after the information about the streaming of games on club websites, which followed on from the talk about sky, as they weren't sure how clubs could make money off it.

1 hour ago, Never to the dark side said:

The EFL has successfully concluded negotiations with Sky Sports for live domestic broadcasting rights in a deal that will run for a further five seasons from 2019/20.

The new agreement, worth £600m, represents a 36% year-on-year increase on the current arrangement and will continue to see Sky Sports exclusively broadcast the Sky Bet EFL, Carabao Cup, Checkatrade Trophy and Sky Bet Play-Offs live through until May 2024. 

This arrangement has been finalised following an open tender process that was designed to maximise both the financial return and exposure for all 72 member Clubs, the EFL and its competitions. 

Under the new agreement, Sky Sports in each season from 2019/20 will broadcast:

· A maximum of 150 exclusive Sky Bet EFL League matches, which include:
· 16 Sky Bet Championship games on Tuesday and Wednesday evenings;
· A minimum of 20 Sky Bet League One and League Two matches;
· The 15 Sky Bet EFL Play-Off matches including all three Finals; 
· 15 matches from the Carabao Cup including the Final;
· The Semi-Final and Final of the Checkatrade Trophy. 

In addition, and in what is another first for English football, the EFL will be offering its Clubs the opportunity to live-stream in the UK and Ireland any league match via their respective iFollow (or equivalent) service that takes place outside the blocked hours of 14.45-17.15 on Saturday afternoons and that is not broadcast live on Sky Sports.  Sky Sports will have the right to stream the same Championship fixtures to subscribers across their interactive and digital services. 

Games in the Checkatrade Trophy will also be available for live-streaming in the UK and Ireland via iFollow (or equivalent service). iFollow was launched earlier this year and gives supporters overseas the ability to watch their team on match days alongside providing thousands of fans based in the UK the opportunity to listen to audio commentary. 

EFL Chief Executive Shaun Harvey said: “Sky Sports has for many years been a hugely important and valued partner of the EFL and we are delighted to extend our relationship by a further five years.  I would like to thank all those who submitted bids and we now look forward to working with the Sky Sports team as they cement their position as the broadcast home of live EFL matches. 

“These negotiations came at what was an incredibly challenging period in the sale and acquisition of sports rights in the UK and, having fully tested the market, we believe that not only has a significant increase in value for our Clubs been achieved, but also the very best deal, with the best partner has been delivered.  

“In agreeing a deal over five seasons, it delivers a guaranteed increase in the level of income distributed to EFL Clubs from 2019/20 and long-term financial certainty was an absolute priority throughout this process.  It is a partnership that as well as having mutual tangible benefits, allows the EFL to maximise reach and exposure for its competitions, alongside providing further opportunities for Clubs to generate additional incremental revenues through iFollow. 

“The new opportunity for EFL Clubs to live-stream their matches through a direct to consumer service in the UK is a revolutionary and exciting step forward for football broadcasting rights in the UK and we will monitor its progress closely to determine how this model can be considered for future EFL rights cycles.”

Barney Francis, Sky Sports Managing Director, commented: “This is great news for EFL fans and our viewers, with more live games than ever before and more opportunities for fans to watch their teams live. With a new dedicated football channel, newly enhanced digital platforms, adding more games means Sky Sports is getting even better for football fans. 

“Securing the EFL strengthens the Sky Sports service even further with the rights that matter most to our customers. This follows similar enhanced deals with Sky Sports becoming the exclusive home of F1 from 2019 for five years, and the only place to see England home cricket and the new domestic T20 competition live through to 2024.

“Viewing of live EFL games grew by 12% year-on-year last season, and is up a further 7% so far this season. Fans value our live EFL coverage and we are delighted to be able to offer even more in the coming years.”

1 hour ago, hodge said:

So any non Saturday 3pm kick off can be shown, wonder if those with sky already get it for free or whether an additional subscription is required. 

I read it as if your a Sky subscriber then you will be able to watch the games Sky Broadcast for free. But all other games will be on the club's platform. Could be wrong tho. 

5 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

I read it as if your a Sky subscriber then you will be able to watch the games Sky Broadcast for free. But all other games will be on the club's platform. Could be wrong tho. 

That's how I read it to. That said I often misunderstand this type of tv deal.

Im sure there's someone on here that could explain it in simpler terms

4 minutes ago, El Hombrecito said:

I think I read it that non Saturday 3pm games will be able to be streamed through BCTV in the UK & Ireland. But that Sky retain the rights, so they'll also be able to show the games online and on the red button to their subscribers? I think. Maybe. Not very clear is it! 

It is very poorly worded. First thing that comes to my mind is "Sky have bought the rights to a maximum 150 Football league games", you then read that they have to show X games from League Two and League One and all the playoffs. I don't see how they can show that many games and stay within 150. At 12 fixtures in a typical week, they'd be spent well before Xmas if it was such full coverage. 

Oh god. This is going to be awful.

Whilst the chance of watching midweek City games either on television or online is more than welcome, it will add a whole new world of pain to the ongoing delusions of the blue few.

Let's hope Sky never release viewing figures.

'You might have taken 400 more to Bolton than we did last year, but our viewing of the Cleethorpe game was such that the stream required BUFFERING'..... 'We're coming for you'

7 minutes ago, 29AR said:

It is very poorly worded. First thing that comes to my mind is "Sky have bought the rights to a maximum 150 Football league games", you then read that they have to show X games from League Two and League One and all the playoffs. I don't see how they can show that many games and stay within 150. At 12 fixtures in a typical week, they'd be spent well before Xmas if it was such full coverage. 

Think they've confused things further by putting two stories in one.

Firstly they've announced a new 'traditional' broadcast rights deal, for 150 games to be shown on Sky Sports Football.

Secondly, they've acquired rights to show all non Saturday 3pm games on their interactive service (with clubs being able to show them on their platforms too).

Clear as mud!

It will be interesting to see what the charging structure is for BCFC Streaming.

The risk is that attendances on those cold Tuesday nights in February are likely to plummet as a result of this.

Therefore, I suspect that prices will be set relatively highly to encourage people to get down to the Gate where possible.

This in itself will draw criticism.

I can't say that I'm a big fan of this - and I live almost 200 miles away from the Gate, and would probably benefit most form it!

11 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Glad it wasn't just me! 

17 minutes ago, El Hombrecito said:

I think I read it that non Saturday 3pm games will be able to be streamed through BCTV in the UK & Ireland. But that Sky retain the rights, so they'll also be able to show the games online and on the red button to their subscribers? I think. Maybe. Not very clear is it! 

No it's not clear at all.

NTTDS is usually pretty good at this type of thing. Hopefully he'll post with his usual clarity.

If not I'll be seeing him at Senior Reds next week.

38 minutes ago, El Hombrecito said:

Think they've confused things further by putting two stories in one.

Firstly they've announced a new 'traditional' broadcast rights deal, for 150 games to be shown on Sky Sports Football.

Secondly, they've acquired rights to show all non Saturday 3pm games on their interactive service (with clubs being able to show them on their platforms too).

Clear as mud!

Ah thank you - it now makes sense. So effectively sky have exclusivity for the 150 live games and on top they have first refusal on the non Saturday 3pm's which, if they don't take up, clubs are free to air via their own service. 

Archived