IGNORED

Slovenia and Lithuania

wendyredredrobin

With no propper footy for a couple of weeks, I am now thinking about the national team's forthcoming fixtures.

I'm afraid that I am still rather underwhelmed by the way England are playing against second rate teams and tactically Gareth Southgate must be one of the most boring managers we have had.

We should easily win our group unless there are any stupid slip ups, but I can't seem to get excited about watching England thesr days.

I shudder to think about how well we will fare against the likes of Germany, Spain, Brazil, Argentina, etc. when the real thing comes along next year.

Still, I will get the tinnies ready and enjoy the games as much as I can.

8 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

With no propper footy for a couple of weeks, I am now thinking about the national team's forthcoming fixtures.

I'm afraid that I am still rather underwhelmed by the way England are playing against second rate teams and tactically Gareth Southgate must be one of the most boring managers we have had.

I hate to say it but England are a second rate team and have been since 1970 with one or two periods of mediocrity between then and now.

Depressing to watch, but I as usual will go into the tournament full of hope yet again, only to be dashed in the early group stage. Oh well, onwards and downwards!!

Since 1970, other than 1982, when we finished the tournament unbeaten, & of course 1990, England's other best chances in World Cup Finals were in 1998 & 2002. In 1998, we should have beaten Argentina, but for Beckham's red card & Sol Campbell's perfectly taken but disallowed header, before losing in penalties. In 2002, after beating Germany 5:1 in Munich in the qualifiers, we came up against the best team in the tournament in the quarter finals, and proceeded to concede a flukey free kick by Ronaldinho that helped to turn the match Brazil's way.

2006 was disappointing, losing on penalties again to Portugal in the quarter finals, 2010 was distressing being outclassed by the Germans and for the clear goal by Lampard that wasn't given that would have levelled the scores at half time, while 2014 was just plainly disastrous, but at least we left quietly and early without losing to Iceland!

I've gone from going england away to sometimes forgetting to check the team's score online. It's not just the dire football, it's the whole stupidity that surrounds the team: the daft money, the avarice, the dim-witted wags, the arrogance, the crap hairstyles and bling washbags, the bravado and general bollocks. It's really hard to support such an unlikable bunch. I'm assuming there's a few exceptions, but I doubt there's more than five players in the squad who see international duty as anything more than a chore. And then there's the change in the away support to reckon with. Lost my enthusiasm entirely for the international game. 

Part of me wishes we don't go in protest followed by all the other big teams. I have no desire to see England fans being systematically set upon by Putin's thugs only to find the media finding a single England fan retaliating and have the headline plastered across the press... ENGLAND THE SCOURGE OF EUROPE .. AGAIN. 

We all know it is inevitable.

10 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

I shudder to think about how well we will fare against the likes of Germany, Spain, Brazil, Argentina, etc. when the real thing comes along next year.

We need to worry about keeping up with the likes of Iceland, before we start concerning ourselves with this lot..! 

Gareth Southgate should be nowhere near the national team, but in all honesty I can't think of many English managers that would do a better job than him, AND would be available.

It's far too early for Eddie Howe. He's enjoying success with Bournemouth, and he needs more time to establish himself. Dyche probably wouldn't want anything to do with the job, and would probably struggle to adapt.

I really like the idea of Paul Clement getting the top job, not because he's ready or good enough for it, but because he took himself from being a PE teacher to being a manager in the top-flight of football, with experience coaching at some of the greatest clubs of four different countries. He knows how football works abroad, and will probably have ideas that neither the FA or many of the ex-pros will have.

7 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Part of me wishes we don't go in protest followed by all the other big teams. I have no desire to see England fans being systematically set upon by Putin's thugs only to find the media finding a single England fan retaliating and have the headline plastered across the press... ENGLAND THE SCOURGE OF EUROPE .. AGAIN. 

I certainly feel the same way about going to Qatar.

31 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

I really like the idea of Paul Clement getting the top job, not because he's ready or good enough for it, but because he took himself from being a PE teacher to being a manager in the top-flight of football, with experience coaching at some of the greatest clubs of four different countries. He knows how football works abroad, and will probably have ideas that neither the FA or many of the ex-pros will have.

A student of the game, plus his Dad played for England of course.

4 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I can't wait for the Qatar party.

It's going to be one long beer and football festival, only topped off by hot women and fantastic rhythmic music. 

What more could any football loving bloke want ? 

I am sure you are joking/being facetious, but some years ago I worked in the Middle East and went to Qatar (Doha) on quite a few occasions.

As I am sure @BigTone and perhaps others will be able to confirm, if you know where (and with whom) to go, your description is not far off the reality, especially if you are an ex-pat.

2 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I am sure you are joking/being facetious, but some years ago I worked in the Middle East and went to Qatar (Doha) on quite a few occasions.

As I am sure @BigTone and perhaps others will be able to confirm, if you know where (and with whom) to go, your description is not far off the reality, especially if you are an ex-pat.

Mostly in the Hotels. A rough guide below:

It is an offence to drink alcohol or be drunk in public. Alcohol is available at licensed hotel restaurants and bars, and expatriates living in Qatar can obtain alcohol on a permit system. Don’t carry alcohol around with you (except to take it on the day of collection from the warehouse to your home).  

8 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Mostly in the Hotels. A rough guide below:

It is an offence to drink alcohol or be drunk in public. Alcohol is available at licensed hotel restaurants and bars, and expatriates living in Qatar can obtain alcohol on a permit system. Don’t carry alcohol around with you (except to take it on the day of collection from the warehouse to your home).  

Not quite so, Big Tone or, at least it wasn't when I was there.

If you are in with the Embassy 'clique', you will experience some of the best parties ever. 

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Not quite so, Big Tone or, at least it wasn't when I was there.

If you are in with the Embassy 'clique', you will experience some of the best parties ever. 

True, we went to some absolute doozies in Saudi but I doubt too many football fans will get an invite.

21 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

It's the draw. We are the Manu of   the international scene.

When in the last 30 years have us (England) Or Manu ever got a hard qualifying group?

Just doesn't happen. were going to win the group by what 8 points?  It's like Groundhog day.

It's called seeding mate. People would rather watch England vs Holland at the World Cup than Namibia vs Sao Tome and the Principe.

3 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

It's called seeding mate. People would rather watch England vs Holland at the World Cup than Namibia vs Sao Tome and the Principe.

Yeah I know that  weve got Italy v Spain in the group stage. The pick of your African teams is quite  pathetic. Or are you just looking for confrontation ?

25 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

It's the draw. We are the Manu of   the international scene.

When in the last 30 years have us (England) Or Manu ever got a hard qualifying group?

Just doesn't happen. were going to win the group by what 8 points?  It's like Groundhog day.

We had Italy in our qualifying group for the 1998 world cup, and won the group, sending Italy into the play offs.

We had Germany in our qualifying group for the 2002 world cup, and won the group, sending Germany into the play offs.

6 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

Yeah I know that  weve got Italy v Spain in the group stage. The pick of your African teams is quite  pathetic. Or are you just looking for confrontation ?

My life has very little meaning so a lot of the time, yes. I just picked two shit sides mate, interesting that them being African has made you so angry. If I'd said Kiribati vs the BVI would that make you happier?

4 minutes ago, North London Red said:

We had Italy in our qualifying group for the 1998 world cup, and won the group, sending Italy into the play offs.

We had Germany in our qualifying group for the 2002 world cup, and won the group, sending Germany into the play offs.

Yeah ok. But would you not agree that over the years we have had a pretty good time of it for the Euros and World cup qualifiers ?

6 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

Yeah ok. But would you not agree that over the years we have had a pretty good time of it for the Euros and World cup qualifiers ?

Undoubtedly yes.

That said, we have been very good at finishing ahead of the second and third seeds, including some teams who the true heavyweights of Europe have slipped up against. Teams like Poland (who beat Germany in Euro 2016 qualifying)...we took 4 points off them a couple of campaigns ago. And Slovakia, who beat Spain in Euro 2016 qualifying - we've beaten them home and away. Switzerland can be dangerous too - we've taken 10 points off them in 4 qualifiers in recent times. You only need to look at France drawing against Luxembourg, or Holland losing home and away against Iceland, to see that 'easy on paper' qualifiers can sometimes be anything but.

19 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Just knowing the whole thing is run by FIFA is enough to stop me watching or following in any way these days.  But if even the slightest temptation arises, I just have to remind myself whom the next two host nations are.

9 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

My life has very little meaning so a lot of the time, yes. I just picked two shit sides mate, interesting that them being African has made you so angry. If I'd said Kiribati vs the BVI would that make you happier?

Sorry no ideal what your on about. Did you somehow find my comment racist? And angry?

Have a cider zider  Your life has meaning more than you probably think.

Hay I don't know you but I already want you to have a good life.

PM me any time.

13 minutes ago, North London Red said:

Undoubtedly yes.

That said, we have been very good at finishing ahead of the second and third seeds, including some teams who the true heavyweights of Europe have slipped up against. Teams like Poland (who beat Germany in Euro 2016 qualifying)...we took 4 points off them a couple of campaigns ago. And Slovakia, who beat Spain in Euro 2016 qualifying - we've beaten them home and away. Switzerland can be dangerous too - we've taken 10 points off them in 4 qualifiers in recent times. You only need to look at France drawing against Luxembourg, or Holland losing home and away against Iceland, to see that 'easy on paper' qualifiers can sometimes be anything but.

See where your coming from most I agree with.

But when it comes down it even the teams weve finished above counts for nothing.

What the **** have we won?

One world cup semi, one run at the Euros at home when we should have been knocked out by Spain at Wembley.

The truth our side is second rate in the big scheme we are a second tier football side.

Looking at our squad do you see that ending anytime soon?

Archived