IGNORED

Lee Johnson on Soccer Saturday Panel

The hand of RO'D

7 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Our old keeper Dave Richards, who sat on the bench throughout the L1 promotion season, finally made his league debut last week at the age of 23, for Crewe against Coventry. Today, on his second appearance, he saved a penalty as they beat Stevenage 1-0.

Great stuff.  I tweeted him last week to say congrats on his debut.  Nice lad.  Pleased for him.

8 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Did alright I thought. He probably had the most one sided game which was all but over after an hour so wasn`t really involved in the second half but when he was he was OK.

The hour before kick off was far more interesting IMO.

Yeah it was good to listen to him on general football matters as well as talk about us. 

8 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Did alright I thought. He probably had the most one sided game which was all but over after an hour so wasn`t really involved in the second half but when he was he was OK.

The hour before kick off was far more interesting IMO.

Be interesting to see if he’s picked up any information on any potential signings, there is a centre-half who is getting rave reviews at Shrewsbury & a few other players throughout the lower leagues who are performing well at the moment.

Shame LJ couldn't do the Gas game.

Imagine the oportunities available...

LJ  "Well, maybe they are coming for us.. God knows, it certainly feels like an eternity they've been promising it"

LJ "Darrell will be happy. I wonder if he will ask how we got on, even though the big boys don't play this weeknd"

LJ "Northampton are just crap

etc etc

LJ "I'm pleased for Darrell Clarke... Well no, to be honest I'm not. I can't stand the cnt"

4 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

What a great story about Julio Arca (Argentinian who used to play for Middlesbrough), retired through injury in 2015, went back to Argentina but missed the north east of England & told his wife he wanted to move back to the north east of England & started playing Sunday League football where he was paying £3 or £3.50 subs but would get 2 pints if he won ‘man of the match’, before joining South Shields & helping them to win the FA Vase at Wembley last season & he was so excited to of qualified to play at Wembley that he shed a few tears in the dressing room afterwards. And he loves being able to have a drink with the supporters in the club house after the games.

Just how many ex-Premier League players would be willing to just drop down to non-league, just for the joy of continuing to play football? Especially nowadays when they earn so much money.

Everyone who signs for Rovers?

It’s got to be said, I find all rather ironic, the amount of praise LJ is getting at the moment, particularly when you consider all the vitriol that was aimed at him last season.

The amount of otib users that didn’t think he was fit to manage our football club & made absolutely no secret of their feelings but are now praising everything that LJ says & does! It just goes to show how fickle football fans are because it wasn’t only LJ getting the grief last season & even this summer but Dean Holden & most worryingly from my perspective, SL! 

I couldn’t be more happy that LJ, his backroom staff & the players have been able to turn things around in such tremendous fashion & while we may not maintain our current form or position in the league for the entirety of the season, they have all shown that they are in it for the club & that they really want the club to succeed as much as us the fans & a massive amount of credit does deserve to go to SL for not doing what 98% of other clubs owners would of done despite all of the abuse aimed in his direction.

Football clubs need to work to a plan & those plans don’t normally come to fruition unless your owner is prepared to throw ridiculous amounts of money at the club for the playing side of the club & while SL has spent plenty of his own money, he’s never done it to the level where he was ever going to threaten the well-being of our club (which can’t be said for so many poorly run clubs).

A massive thank you needs to go to SL for everything he has done for our club (and there are too many things to thank him for) & to the clubs staff for giving us all something to be proud of!

We've had threads along these lines before Tipps.......ultimately it's all about results and when LJ was under the cosh last season it was entirely because City were struggling.

Now City are performing well and LJ is back in favour.

Thats way it is for all managers, just as all football fans have a fickleness about them.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

We've had threads along these lines before Tipps.......ultimately it's all about results and when LJ was under the cosh last season it was entirely because City were struggling.

Now City are performing well and LJ is back in favour.

Thats way it is for all managers, just as all football fans have a fickleness about them.

And IF it changes, and that could easily happen, he will get the flack again.

It goes with the territory and I am sure our head coach, along with any other Head Coach / Manager in professional sport ( not just football) knows that.

What astounds me currently is the number of people on here that would appear to think that we are set-up for a 'good' season - we could be, and that would be fantastic, but let's see how the team react to adversity, which could be just around the corner.......

Football at this level is utterly unpredictable and ruthless.

One game at a time, although a cliche, does seem appropriate.

15 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

What a great story about Julio Arca (Argentinian who used to play for Middlesbrough), retired through injury in 2015, went back to Argentina but missed the north east of England & told his wife he wanted to move back to the north east of England & started playing Sunday League football where he was paying £3 or £3.50 subs but would get 2 pints if he won ‘man of the match’, before joining South Shields & helping them to win the FA Vase at Wembley last season & he was so excited to of qualified to play at Wembley that he shed a few tears in the dressing room afterwards. And he loves being able to have a drink with the supporters in the club house after the games.

Just how many ex-Premier League players would be willing to just drop down to non-league, just for the joy of continuing to play football? Especially nowadays when they earn so much money.

Scotty and Colin Cramb do this every weekend. 

8 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

It’s got to be said, I find all rather ironic, the amount of praise LJ is getting at the moment, particularly when you consider all the vitriol that was aimed at him last season.

The amount of otib users that didn’t think he was fit to manage our football club & made absolutely no secret of their feelings but are now praising everything that LJ says & does! It just goes to show how fickle football fans are because it wasn’t only LJ getting the grief last season & even this summer but Dean Holden & most worryingly from my perspective, SL! 

I couldn’t be more happy that LJ, his backroom staff & the players have been able to turn things around in such tremendous fashion & while we may not maintain our current form or position in the league for the entirety of the season, they have all shown that they are in it for the club & that they really want the club to succeed as much as us the fans & a massive amount of credit does deserve to go to SL for not doing what 98% of other clubs owners would of done despite all of the abuse aimed in his direction.

Football clubs need to work to a plan & those plans don’t normally come to fruition unless your owner is prepared to throw ridiculous amounts of money at the club for the playing side of the club & while SL has spent plenty of his own money, he’s never done it to the level where he was ever going to threaten the well-being of our club (which can’t be said for so many poorly run clubs).

A massive thank you needs to go to SL for everything he has done for our club (and there are too many things to thank him for) & to the clubs staff for giving us all something to be proud of!

Yes, funny no one's mentioned this on OTIB before.

2 hours ago, Lita For Congo said:

Scotty and Colin Cramb do this every weekend. 

Well it’s not like they’ve moved from half way around the world because they missed the area & neither have been Premier League players, so they would never of earnt the sort of money Arca has.

And in Scotty’s & Colin’s case they probably go along for the after match activities before the actual match  ;)

10 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

I don’t see it that way.

I think i’m fairly level-headed, but I have my opinions.  It’s about results for managers, performances / goals / assists / clean sheets for players.

I can have an overall opinion on a player, but can happily be gushing or critical of individual performances.

Take Diedhiou.  At the time of him signing I thought it was an excellent signing.  Over his first 4 or 5 games when he was getting serious criticism, my overall view didn’t change, but individual performances could be rated lower than average.  Over recent games he appears to have justified my initial view.

Take Matty Taylor.  At the time of him signing I thought he wasn’t a good signing.  I didn’t rate him.  In several games I think he hasn’t been up to the level we require, despite his decent assists ratio from last season.  Did that stop me giving him MOTM v Stoke?  Nope.  He was excellent that night.  But it will take several performances at that level to change my overall opinion.

Neither of the above make me a better or worse judge.  Just one with an opinion.

Same with LJ.  I actually never thought he was bad, just that at that point "he’d lost the plot" and it was time to go. Based on what was going on he showed little sign of learning, little sign of sorting it.  But something changed....see my earlier post....and on the back of that he’s done ever so much better and restored faith, and imho gone back to being a "decent" manager.

I don’t think that is being fickle it’s analysing the bad and the good.  Football is not straight line.

What was your view of LJ last season, I can’t remember?  If it was that he was fine, doing a great job, then you’ll probably find that in an 8 game losing run, people are gonna challenge that view.  That’s not being fickle, and therefore I don’t see the irony.  Of course, your view may well’ve been "I really rate LJ, but he’s going through a bad patch, but I think he’ll turn it around".  In which case, that is absolutely fine.

On 10/5/2017 at 23:25, husshen said:

Spot on.

He was doing interviews all over the place at precisely the same point last season, and then it all went tits up.

I think it gets on players' nerves seeing their gaffer bigging himself up (even if just implicitly) in the media. He should keep his head down and fly under the radar.

Why do so many of our fans assume that all of our players are prissy little primadonnas who spend their entire team getting pointlessly outraged by perceived slights on the part of our manager? I've never ever seen a shred of actual evidence for it but everyone seems to think our players spend their entire time up in arms.

I suspect in actual fact, the players think it's quite good for them if the manager gets media coverage as it raises the profile of the club which is a great thing in itself if you are a team player but also a great thing if you are a selfish bugger too as it helps boost your own career.

I would have thought it more likely that, when the manager does something like this, they take the piss out of him for a bit (as I would if my boss was on TV) and then carry on as before. 

11 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

Even when LJ was struggling last season, I always thought he had the potential to learn from his mistakes and go on and be a good manager somewhere in the future. I just didn't expect him to do it quickly enough to turn it around last season.

I absolutely agree with you SL deserves a lot of credit, especially if our early season form continues. He stuck to his guns when most of us would have made a change and - whatever happens with LJ in the long term - it is easy to forget bringing the wrong manager in could have seen us relegated. Some of the criticism of SL last season was utterly unfair and I think it is clear that, whilst he has got some things wrong and some things right, he has always acted in the best interests of the club.

But, as others have said, all of us are ultimately going to judge on results. And we have to - we don't get to see what happens in the boardroom or on the training ground. My perception is the club has improved and professionalised immensely off the pitch since Coppell's brief spell, which appears to have been a bit of a reality check for the club. But, bar when a stand is being built, we never get to see that change as it happens, just notice afterwards. So all any of us can ever do is judge on results and performances on the pitch. That said, I think many of us - myself included - would do well to remind ourselves that we fans do not have access to the whole picture and SL (and LJ) will always be considering various factors we know nothing about.

54 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

That said, I think many of us - myself included - would do well to remind ourselves that we fans do not have access to the whole picture and SL (and LJ) will always be considering various factors we know nothing about.

:clap:

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t see it that way.

I think i’m fairly level-headed, but I have my opinions.  It’s about results for managers, performances / goals / assists / clean sheets for players.

I can have an overall opinion on a player, but can happily be gushing or critical of individual performances.

Take Diedhiou.  At the time of him signing I thought it was an excellent signing.  Over his first 4 or 5 games when he was getting serious criticism, my overall view didn’t change, but individual performances could be rated lower than average.  Over recent games he appears to have justified my initial view.

Take Matty Taylor.  At the time of him signing I thought he wasn’t a good signing.  I didn’t rate him.  In several games I think he hasn’t been up to the level we require, despite his decent assists ratio from last season.  Did that stop me giving him MOTM v Stoke?  Nope.  He was excellent that night.  But it will take several performances at that level to change my overall opinion.

Neither of the above make me a better or worse judge.  Just one with an opinion.

Same with LJ.  I actually never thought he was bad, just that at that point "he’d lost the plot" and it was time to go. Based on what was going on he showed little sign of learning, little sign of sorting it.  But something changed....see my earlier post....and on the back of that he’s done ever so much better and restored faith, and imho gone back to being a "decent" manager.

I don’t think that is being fickle it’s analysing the bad and the good.  Football is not straight line.

What was your view of LJ last season, I can’t remember?  If it was that he was fine, doing a great job, then you’ll probably find that in an 8 game losing run, people are gonna challenge that view.  That’s not being fickle, and therefore I don’t see the irony.  Of course, your view may well’ve been "I really rate LJ, but he’s going through a bad patch, but I think he’ll turn it around".  In which case, that is absolutely fine.

As someone who is fairly experienced in terms of a footballing knowledge (I’m talking about you here Dave, not me), surely you should of been aware that a record signing who has never played in The Championship, yet alone in England was likely to take a few matches to adjust to the demands of joining a new club, in a new country, in a new league & not being able to converse in his first language while trying to integrate into a new squad of players (the huge majority of who can’t speak his prime language) & a completely new tactical situation  with regards to what the manager / team requires of him. He clearly wasn’t a bad player with what division he had come from & with what other clubs were supposedly interested in signing him before he joined us.

Similar could be said for MT, never having played above league one level & having never been involved with a club being run so professionally, he had come through from non-league & with all the fuss about his move from the blue-few & all the personal abuse that he had to put up with from their world renowned fan base, it was never going to be easy for him to just walk straight into the club & perform admirably from the off.

As for where I stood on LJ last season, I’m sure I can give your memory a little nudge, I was very much in the camp of keeping LJ here because he was clearly here to fulfill the long term plan of the clubs hierarchy & that although we were on a very bad losing streak, he was trying different things to rectify the problem & I was much more appreciative of that approach rather than sticking with the same players & same tactics while we continued to lose. LJ was showing that he had more than one plan & he wasn’t scared to try those plans in the search of correcting the results & when you compare the behind the scenes stuff that was going on (Pemberton issue & LT’s off-field antics) despite the majority of us being desperate for the club to sign LT after his intitial loan spell, he turned out to be a major disruptive influence on the club despite us all expecting him to be our Lionel Messi!! LJ was / is clearly highly thought of within the game, he had brought new innovative ways of training into the club & most of the players weren’t even sure of how to use the tools supplied to them, he has (along with the help & support of SL) brought this club into the 21st century when for many many years we were doing things from previous decades. It may of been him singing his own praises but the stories of him spending times in a working A&E department, with the armed forces & chefs to learn different things to aid his ability in a totally different field of expertise was refreshing & exciting (to me anyway). And having now been able to get rid of the problem players & replace them with players who want to buy into his philosophy & innovative ways of doing things, we are now starting to reap the rewards & not only are we able to attract decent players to the club, LJ is also bringing through his fair share of homegrown youngsters & he is seemingly managing them correctly, getting them out on loan to experience a higher standard of football to what they are used to while helping them progress to possibly reaching our standard of football without them having to adjust to such a huge difference of standard between U23 football & Championship football.LJ isn’t just concerned about what is happening at first team level, he in interested in the whole club & that can only benefit us as a club.

I also didn’t want to see the club become one of those clubs who constantly changed their head coach / manager every time there was a sign of a problem because that becomes a long term issue because every time the man in charge goes through a bit of a bad run, everyone expects a new man to come in & that also becomes very expensive while you have to compensate the old one for failure & give the new man a large signing on fee while also having a lot of players who aren’t in the new man’s plans for the future so we’d get stuck with numerous players not playing while the new man wants to inevitably bring his own players in!! This then puts the wage budget through the roof while the majority of people expect us to freely spend millions on further new signings although we’ve heard for years that SL wants the club to become more self-sufficient, it’s just not a feasible way of continuing to run a club!

And while many of you may think it’s acceptable to only judge on results on the pitch, there is far more to becoming a successful club & many aren’t interested in how we are progressing behind the scenes but that is the backbone of any successful club or business!! And if anyone should be aware about what it takes, I’d say SL is right up there with having an idea.....

Archived