IGNORED

A season to remember , HTV program.

1960maaan

This is the last of my program videos, after all the Flashback for the fans it's time for HTV and Ian Seymour to look at our promotion to Division 1. With a number of of the team that got us there in the studio , along with a few journo's they discuss all things City at that time.  
I watched the Arsenal game again , and apart from just how good Cheese was in the air the stand out thing for me is just how good Clive Whitehead was. Both feet , skilful and quick , it was an injury that did for him as well I believe. Out for a while and was not quite the same when he came back , made a good transition to fullback (good enough to play for WBA) but was never the brilliant winger I remember  again. 
The current team has started to make me think about the top flight again, perhaps we can make a push, maybe we'll fall away, but I'm enjoying all the same feelings I enjoyed way back then . After the Portsmouth game , well after we went on the pitch and then got the Bus back to BS2, I ran around to the local pub to tell my Dad. We celebrated by him buying me a flagon of cider, and me only 16 , we spent an hour or so running around the streets singing, that's me and my mates my Dad stayed with Mum in the pub.  I'm not sure what we'll do should the unlikely happen , but I'm sure it will involve more than a flagon of cider.

Still brings a bit of a lump to my throat watching this back.

what is interesting is some of the similarities to the current squad and how the club have approached the strategy to get promoted, young talented players brought in from all places and moulder into a good side!!!

could we be on the cusp of something similar this season????

7 minutes ago, INCRED said:

what is interesting is some of the similarities to the current squad and how the club have approached the strategy to get promoted, young talented players brought in from all places and moulder into a good side!!!

I'm trying hard not to think that. It's still early and we have some big teams to play, but maybe, just maybe.

50 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

This is the last of my program videos, after all the Flashback for the fans it's time for HTV and Ian Seymour to look at our promotion to Division 1. With a number of of the team that got us there in the studio , along with a few journo's they discuss all things City at that time.  
I watched the Arsenal game again , and apart from just how good Cheese was in the air the stand out thing for me is just how good Clive Whitehead was. Both feet , skilful and quick , it was an injury that did for him as well I believe. Out for a while and was not quite the same when he came back , made a good transition to fullback (good enough to play for WBA) but was never the brilliant winger I remember  again. 
The current team has started to make me think about the top flight again, perhaps we can make a push, maybe we'll fall away, but I'm enjoying all the same feelings I enjoyed way back then . After the Portsmouth game , well after we went on the pitch and then got the Bus back to BS2, I ran around to the local pub to tell my Dad. We celebrated by him buying me a flagon of cider, and me only 16 , we spent an hour or so running around the streets singing, that's me and my mates my Dad stayed with Mum in the pub.  I'm not sure what we'll do should the unlikely happen , but I'm sure it will involve more than a flagon of cider.

Thanks 1960maaan, great memories.

I hope that some of these videos are shown to the team, these youngsters would find it hilarious no doubt but it gives them a good grounding in the club and it’s supporters.

Don’t think this lot really need it though, they seem ready to run through brick walls for BCFC.

long may it continue!

Big thanks 1960maaan for posting this and I personally hadn’t seen this before, so big ups.

What did become of Ian Seymour, remember him being attacked by pot plants ahead of introducing Day of the Triffids. Have an incline he isn’t with us anymore, sadly like his sister.

And Geoff Merrick, still my number one BCFC hero and a superb role model for me as then a 15-year-old youngster and should still be to the youth of today.

I don’t only remember GM as one of the AG8 (even though I totally applaud his actions) but for his leadership and footballing skills and all-around grit and determination, he’s never been bettered at BCFC or in football generally, in my opinion.

I’m fortunate to have some success in life and I am sure that it’s partly down to the influence of the likes of Geoff Merrick i.e., hard work, discipline and dedication, all words of horror to many youths of today and the X Factor let’s get rich quick without any talent or hard work mentality.

So I am showing much age and not on many peoples song sheet.

OK I’ll get my bog roll – :laugh:

Cause back in the day and before political correctness, bog rolls is what we called arse wiping facilitating mechanisms!

5 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

watching this just makes you think how long ago it was, time we were back in the top flight again.

9 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Great watch . Thanks .Clive Whitehead. Quality . 

Great watch.

I will always wonder, as articulated by Gerry Gow & Roger Malone, that had 'Cheese' not been crocked in that collision with Shilton in our first home game, just what we might have gone on to achieve. The talent of Whitehead on the wing and Cheesley's dominance in the air would have surely resulted in many more goals and matches won.

12 hours ago, INCRED said:

Young manager comes in, charged with saving us from relegation. 

Takes a couple of seasons to settle and then BOOM! 

Who knows, but maybe, just maybe..! 

That was a great watch @1960maaan. Thanks very much for posting it.

Stupid thing you remember. After gaining promotion in 1976, I went into a shop and saw a black and white Frido football with all of the names of the division One teams printed in the 'panels'. There, alongside the names of ManU, Arsenal and all of the rest, was Bristol City. That was when I truly realised what we'd achieved!

9 hours ago, zippycar said:

Big thanks 1960maaan for posting this and I personally hadn’t seen this before, so big ups.

What did become of Ian Seymour, remember him being attacked by pot plants ahead of introducing Day of the Triffids. Have an incline he isn’t with us anymore, sadly like his sister.

And Geoff Merrick, still my number one BCFC hero and a superb role model for me as then a 15-year-old youngster and should still be to the youth of today.

I don’t only remember GM as one of the AG8 (even though I totally applaud his actions) but for his leadership and footballing skills and all-around grit and determination, he’s never been bettered at BCFC or in football generally, in my opinion.

I’m fortunate to have some success in life and I am sure that it’s partly down to the influence of the likes of Geoff Merrick i.e., hard work, discipline and dedication, all words of horror to many youths of today and the X Factor let’s get rich quick without any talent or hard work mentality.

So I am showing much age and not on many peoples song sheet.

OK I’ll get my bog roll – :laugh:

Cause back in the day and before political correctness, bog rolls is what we called arse wiping facilitating mechanisms!

Pretty sure Ian Seymour passed away due to cancer at a relatively young age.

I have been inclined in the past to be pretty sniffy about the coverage that HTV provided back in the day, but watching this it suddenly appears a comparatively golden era.

Contributions from the legend that is Roger Malone and a respected local journalist like Peter Godsiff, who unlike the utter clowns of today both actually knew something about both the club and the city, plus a selection of our players present who include very many of our all time greats.

In contrast the BBC locally never showed anywhere near as much interest in us at the time and would never have made this sort of programme.

One other thing, plenty of footage of the opening day win at Arsenal, which clearly showed that we were a bloody good side back then.

Very sad of course to see the great Gerry Gow plus Les Bardsley featured but both of whom are no longer with us.

I appear to have had something in my eye watching some of that footage..

16 hours ago, INCRED said:

So long as it's just a lump on your throat. 

17 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Thanks for digging this out . It brings back so many memories of another time .

A great moment in our history, are we about to do it all over again ? 

As an aside , I can still twirl a top baton .

Archived