IGNORED

Does anything separate Bristol City from other football clubs?

ZiderEyed

7 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Most wins of the JPT pisspot trophy.

That's actually one of the few I see our name on Wikipedia as record holders for, so it's definitely one unique point for me - particularly as we won it when it was still a "proper" trophy :bounce:

16 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Take it you've never been on the Liverpool one then.

Come to think of it, ALL football forums are the same.

I don't agree. There are similarities evidently but there's only One OTIB .

In any crowd you will have different types of people but melange that crowd with another and you'd still have the same mix .

I often go hiking with a group,  a few years ago I joined another group of hikers that was more convenient for me but in each group there are the same types ! 

The guy who has to finish first , the woman who always brings food to share. the person who's always moaning etc . 

I found myself getting confused as to which group I was with.

( I was the stereotypical joker who didn't know what group he was in or where we were  :blink:

In recent times perhaps sticking with a manager when all other clubs would have ditched him?

With a more sarcastic hat on I'd say we are the biggest club that no one has ever heard of.  Every other club in the top 10 of the Championship right now is 'known' to other football fans.  Were you foolish enough to support one of them and told someone that in a pub then they would nod and possibly even know one or two facts about your team.  Bristol City? God no. The number of times I have to tell people a) which league we are in b) who the manager is c) the name of any player d) what we have recently won e) where Bristol is. It's exasperating.

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

The only club with a player whose father performed heart surgery on another clubs Manager?

Didn't Mr Bryan do surgery on our club's manager's dad?  Just another way to phrase it.

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

In recent times perhaps sticking with a manager when all other clubs would have ditched him?

With a more sarcastic hat on I'd say we are the biggest club that no one has ever heard of.  Every other club in the top 10 of the Championship right now is 'known' to other football fans.  Were you foolish enough to support one of them and told someone that in a pub then they would nod and possibly even know one or two facts about your team.  Bristol City? God no. The number of times I have to tell people a) which league we are in b) who the manager is c) the name of any player d) what we have recently won e) where Bristol is. It's exasperating.

Didn't Mr Bryan do surgery on our club's manager's dad?  Just another way to phrase it.

Eeer yes, I guess so ;)

owned by a supporter sets us apart most certainly. The "dream" of the Premier League can be a bloody nightmare though. Geographically, my nearest club these days is Southampton. Look at their constant change of kick off times/days etc. https://southamptonfc.com/tickets/match-tickets

Sky and BT Sport don't give a rats arse about the fans, only their own viewing figures. I only attend Ashton Gate six or seven times a season now. Despite the proximity of St Mary's, kick off times are very often far too inconvenient to bother about a ticket. 

I do miss rocking up at the turnstile, parting with my money and sitting/standing where I like though. Last time I did that? Raith Rovers v Morton last season. And a p[leasant change it was too! 

20 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I think it’s safe to assume he’s Dr Bryan...

For me our uniqueness(?) is everything about our identity, from the City’s rich (& in parts patchy) history to the Ashton Gate 8 with red shirts, robins and being one of the top dogs in the south west - even in the rough times.

We’ll share bits of it with other clubs but not all of it - and yes, the club’s failures are part of that too, play-off dispair across my lifetime being the standout!

34 minutes ago, solihull cider red said:

I think it’s safe to assume he’s Dr Bryan...

....not necessarily if he's a surgeon. In the UK they tend to go by Mr, Mrs etc. This is because the training of surgeons until the mid-19th century was different to the training of doctors. Surgeons did not go to university to gain a degree, instead they usually served as an apprentice to a surgeon, followed by an exam. If successful they were awarded a diploma and not a degree, and were therefore unable to call themselves Doctor and stayed instead with the title Mr. 

Today, all medical practitioners have to undertake training at medical school to obtain a degree. After thus, further training is required before full consultant surgeon status is achieved. This means that the tradition of a surgeon being referred to as Mr/Mrs etc, then becoming a Dr and then reverting back to Mr/Mrs etc has continued.

And there endeth today's history lesson!

10 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

I was thinking about this today, it's a little bit depressing, but what actually sets us apart from other football clubs?

Our owner.

'One For the Bristol City'/'Drink up thy Zider'

120+ years of history at Ashton Gate.

Redeveloped 27k Stadium in our spiritual home.

The Ashton Gate 8

Football League Trophy winners 3 times

Purple and Lime

John Atyeo

Joint record holders for most consecutive wins.

Over a century of League Football.

Every club will have things that separate them from other clubs, some of these things are completely unique to Bristol City. Some of these things are shared by other clubs but not by every club.

Even clubs with quirky kits and a silly nickname are not alone in having a quirky kit and a silly nickname. Clubs with loads of honours are not alone in having loads of honours.

24 minutes ago, Red Homer said:

....not necessarily if he's a surgeon. In the UK they tend to go by Mr, Mrs etc. This is because the training of surgeons until the mid-19th century was different to the training of doctors. Surgeons did not go to university to gain a degree, instead they usually served as an apprentice to a surgeon, followed by an exam. If successful they were awarded a diploma and not a degree, and were therefore unable to call themselves Doctor and stayed instead with the title Mr. 

Today, all medical practitioners have to undertake training at medical school to obtain a degree. After thus, further training is required before full consultant surgeon status is achieved. This means that the tradition of a surgeon being referred to as Mr/Mrs etc, then becoming a Dr and then reverting back to Mr/Mrs etc has continued.

And there endeth today's history lesson!

It's just another form of snobbery. 

• Admin
9 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

We are the only club in the country that shares its Home city with another club, yet despite having a bigger stadium, bigger support, more successful history, better financial situation and better league placing, are still the smaller club...? 

And despite our owner being a billionaire we are also the poorer club as they're the 6th richest club in the country :yes:

5 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Bristol is the only city where a camp site is used as a football ground (the word football being used very loosely).

I think you’ll actually find (because we all know they insist on only factual references..!) that it’s the only football ground used as a camp site. 

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Nah, Wolves did the same thing (top div to bottom div)  from 1984 to 1986 and Swansea very nearly did it too - top div to bottom div with three relegations in four seasons from 1983...

So we were the first to do it? Nothing much to shout about I know!

One of the clever coves wrote an oratory about what made fans different.

Can't remember the exact righteous words but ..

When Arsenal and Chelsea win things fans celebrate with a skinny latte.

When Manchester United win nothing fans demand a head.

Bristol City fans celebrate just being with cider and the Lions flag day.

Archived