IGNORED

OVERACHIEVING ?

slartibartfast

Sky pundits using that word every other sentence about us tonight!

My question is......."How can we overachieve?"   We have the points we have FFS

Maybe there is a case for some clubs "underachieving" given their talent and money , but I don't think you can overachieve....it IS what it IS !

More a case of..we don't like you where you are !

1 minute ago, nickolas said:

Also talking about our budget. How the F does Keith Andrews know the internal accounting of BCFC. Mr Lansdown has a few quid Mr Andrews, i dont think we are too hard up!

Showed that the commentators were more clued up then the pundits, commentators were bang on for our financial capabilities. 

2 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

My question is......."How can we overachieve?   We have the points we have FFS

Maybe there is a case for some clubs "underachieving" given their talent and money , but I don't think you can overachieve....it IS what it IS !

It is lazy wording. We have bought young talent.. the whole point of it is that we get some over achieving so we can sell on or progress 

To invest in young talent isn't to over achieve imo it's to buy enough to achieve your goals

Hang on..

A couple of threads down from this is lauding how little Frankie, Joe, Aden,Bobby etc cost us. We can’t have it both ways - either we’re overachieving based on the cost/quality of the squad (not current value) or we’re where we should’ve based on the quality of players in

and tin hat on, I think Andrews is ok...

4 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

I guess it's because we were pretty poor last season and have simply surprised everyone this season.

To be fair, how many of us supporters were really expectin as much this season.  Many on here would have been happy with a top half finish.

We were poor for 13 games last season, if you take it over the last 18 months it’s a bloody impressive set of results

Overachieving statement can only be based on the fact that we were predicted before the season start to be closer to relegation than getting promotion when looking at the betting terms offered. Just like Leicester overachieved and is not necessarily a derogatory comment or bad thing. Just means that we are a surprise package which most pundits and bookmakers did not predict based on the sum of our parts at the beginning of the season!

12 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Exactly, we're where we are because we've achieved it, patronising ****s

1 minute ago, slartibartfast said:

We've got 40 points.......................Overachieving means we got those points unfairly and should have them deducted for some reason !

Over achieving apply to Johnson' seniors team who grafted and relied on hard work and luck to get their results. Imo they over achieved because they proved they could not do it in the following seasons. This group of players are improving. That imo is the difference between over achievers and natural achievers 

23 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

For me the phrase is at best patronising and at worst implies we are in a false position.

4 minutes ago, TRL said:

Over achieving apply to Johnson' seniors team who grafted and relied on hard work and luck to get their results. Imo they over achieved because they proved they could not do it in the following seasons. This group of players are improving. That imo is the difference between over achievers and natural achievers 

Just what I was about to type, the two teams/seasons are chalk and cheese. We totally deserve to be where we are , whether we stay there is another thing altogether. The over achieving thing was getting on my nerves a bit.

I wish I knew what 'overachieving' actually meant but I don't, so suffice it to say, "mine's another cider barkeep'. And as I'm the barkeep in this instance I'll do whatever the customer requests.

I think that TRL's reply is the most appropriate in this instance but I could just be p*****.

Over achieving isn't based on you fairly getting results.. it's getting results perceived to be better than the sum of your parts. It is all opinion based wether those opinions are correct or not is another thing entirely.  

Failure consistently after one good season is proof of over achievement... if your successful season does not cumulate in promotion as.. as you reset you your expectations if you get promoted

31 minutes ago, nickolas said:

Also talking about our budget. How the F does Keith Andrews know the internal accounting of BCFC. Mr Lansdown has a few quid Mr Andrews, i dont think we are too hard up!

There are a lot of terminological inexactitudes flying around when it comes to City. Do we care though? Do we heck.

14 minutes ago, Fiale said:

Stats wise we have been shown to be overachieving, but not by much. If we can stay in the playoff spot's it will have been a great season, if we finish top 10 then still good.

'A top 10 finish will be good?'

That implies the possibility of actually being in 10th I assume; from where we sit now I will be fairly disappointed bordering on distraught to suicidal if we finish 10th from here on in!

It’s just a case of the pundits having to come up with something to fill the airtime but having little to no knowledge of City. 

Some of Michael Brown’s comments tonight came across as if he hadn’t ever heard of some of our players. Poor choice of pundit. 

Higginbottom at least gave us a fair assessment of who we are and how we play. He’s a pundit clued up on football in this division. Brown seemingly hasn’t watched many games in this league. Poor choice. 

Was good when they were asked about January signings and Andrews said “what, for Bristol”, before swiftly going off track and talking about Sheff again. Fair do’s to Minto who pulled him back “can we just talk about Bristol City for the moment”. 

1 hour ago, wendyredredrobin said:

I guess it's because we were pretty poor last season and have simply surprised everyone this season.

To be fair, how many of us supporters were really expectin as much this season.  Many on here would have been happy with a top half finish.

not me, but I know what you mean.

7 hours ago, havanatopia said:

There are a lot of terminological inexactitudes flying around when it comes to City. Do we care though? Do we heck.

'A top 10 finish will be good?'

That implies the possibility of actually being in 10th I assume; from where we sit now I will be fairly disappointed bordering on distraught to suicidal if we finish 10th from here on in!

Wow. Waking up to terminological inexactitudes makes me feel hungover!:clapping:

8 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

We've got 40 points.......................Overachieving means we got those points unfairly and should have them deducted for some reason !

Edit                 Put another way we've won 11 drawn 7          to overachieve we should have 50 points :P

I don’t think anyone’s saying overachieving means we got the points unfairly. It simply means we are performing better relative to our rivals than you would expect given our squad and budget.

Take it as a compliment - it means we are more than the sum of our parts, which means we must have something special that other teams don’t.

Who gives a crap what Michael Brown thinks about us.

For now we’ll be plucky underdogs.

If this run continues we’ll be in the same bracket as Huddersfield or Bournemouth...exciting young manager, forward thinking, young team etc etc.

Personally happy to keep the pressure and expectation off for as long as possible.

Which pundit was it had us in their bottom 3 at the start of the season...

Huddersfield "overachieved" last season and would appear to be doing the same this season by not already being in the bottom 3 of the Premier League.

Much as a few of their fans might feel a bit riled by the perceptions of "expert analysers", I should imagine the vast majority of their fans don't give a monkeys what others think and are enjoying the success that they are having after so many years of playing in League 1.

I would suggest that we do similar and enjoy the ride!

9 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

I still would be, and I hope others would be too! 

9 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

I don't understand the term either…you're either doing well or you're not. 

I find it really annoying and doesn't actually add anything to a debate. A new buzz word that doesn't actually mean anything. 

Archived