IGNORED

Ritchie & Merrick in 76, Flint & Bryan in 18?

headhunter

Longstanding City supporters will remember with the club heading for promotion in the Spring of 76 that Arsenal came in with an audacious £300k bid for Geoff Merrick & Tom Ritchie.

I can't remember if they said they wanted to stay or the club told Arsenal to go away bu I see some parallels with this season with Flint & Bryan the targets.

What price for the pair £18M? That's cheap when you see what £25M gets you in the shape of that fat lump Luke Shaw playing for United last week.

My view is that if an offer did come LJ would attempt to persuade them to stay until the summer.

What's the view on here?

The "Green'un" actually ran the headline one Saturday that Merrick & Ritchie would sign for Arsenal in the coming week. City needed the money there & then as the bank was pressing them, but came up with a brain wave. If enough supporters bought next season's ST now, the sale need not go through.

Some people (gasheads perhaps?) declared this was a foolish move as City were paying this year's bills with next year's money.

However, enough fans did buy their next season ticket to ward off the financial pressure from the bank; Geoff Merrick led City out at Highbury that August and Tom Ritchie chased a seemingly lost ball and centred it for Cheesely's winner.

5 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

I also remember Coventry putting in a decent bid for our central defensive partnership of Merrick & Collier.  They were one of the best pairings in the top flight.

Then after three seasons in Div 1, Collier negotiated his own transfer to Coventry in the Summer of 1979. Norman Hunter and Terry Cooper also left City that Summer and the results of 79-80 showed the effect of losing that trio of players.

Archived