IGNORED

A step too far?

RedNight

18 minutes ago, lenred said:

I agree that 2 points would be a very very welcome return from the next 2 games. Just got a sneaky feeling for tomorrow though that as we are on TV we'll be right at them and we will get the 3 points. We'll then maybe drop off a bit at Villa like we did at QPR. A win tomorrow would be massive and I think we're going to get it. 

Isn't it true that they almost always play well against a team that comes to play football and not park the bus. Wolves are not going to come for a point , they will want to win as much as City. This will gives us a good chance of winning and as you say it's on TV,  so that's another positive.

5 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I think we have to accept that there will be a game coming up which proves one too far and we lose it, perhaps heavily.

The key is how well we come back after it.

Thought we'd do QPR comfortably and maybe struggle v an organised and capable Reading side.

Results in this league can be strange sometimes. 

Pack to nutmeg the ref. 

Every game in this league is tough, and we are not the only club that has injuries to contend with, neither with the Xmas schedule are we the only side that might be a little bit knackered. Yes, we had the Man Utd game on top of the others, but when you win a game like that, playing like that, it doesnt hurt quite so much

we will lose a game at some point, but lets keep going and cheer the lads on. Twelth man time

If we seriously want to play in the Premier league with the footballing elite, then we will need to be constantly on top of our game, week in, week out, or we will soon be back down here with our tails between our legs.

Should both teams find themselves promoted, then Wolves at home will be one of the EASIER games for us (and they will be thinking the same thing themselves).

Having stated the obvious above, I agree that we are currently threadbare and vulnerable, but Wolves also have their injury worries - plus a player (Miranda) being investigated for match fixing, so they shouldn't expect Saturday to be a walk in the park.

I hope for a win, expect a draw - and will be disappointed with a defeat, but if we DO get defeated its important to move on and look to the next game. Every team gets defeated occasionally and it would be madness to expect that it won't happen to us. We MUST keep the faith.

I wonder if we might see Fammy on the bench for one of these? Yes, LJ said the middle of Jan but we appear to be running on empty ATM and are down to the bare bones so needs must I guess.

My other concern is Marlon getting a booking tomorrow so he misses the Villa game. How he got through that 2nd half against Reading without making a tackle was simply superb on his, Korey's and Josh's part. I was watching him (as I thought he would be subbed at half time) and he didn't have to make 1 tackle in 45 minutes as the other 2 covered him, brilliant team work! 

I think there quite a few of us who have been expecting our injuries to catch up with us for a few weeks now, and especially with recent games  coming in quick succession.

There is understandable optimism, but only because of what the team has already achieved this season, with the league cup being the icing on the cake, but I also suspect that the majority of fans are realistic enough to realise that injuries will affect the squad if players are continuing to play with niggles, only because we don't have the cover.

It will be interesting to see what we do in the transfer window, and if we do bring in reinforcements then the window could not have come at a better time. Having said that, LJ and the players have continued to confound expectations so far this season, so it is not beyond the realms of possibility that they could do so again into the new year.

This is turning into a special season and a special team, in part because of the way we try to play and the skill within the team, but also because of the spirit within the team, squad and almost certainly throughout the club. That spirit could be one of our most valuable assets in the coming weeks, if some players are having to play with niggles they would prefer to rest and in some pretty big games, but for almost every block of 5 games so far this season I've seen nothing but difficult games and expected us to struggle, but each time the results have been better than could ever have been expected.

Our young players should be at the peak of fitness at all times.......and paid handsomely to be so.....its their job.

Injuries aside, one day off between games should be enough to recharge the batteries and for some of them just a good nights sleep would do.

Those that are still 'leggy' after a day's rest are not fit enough and should be given extra fitness training which improve recovery time.

If I were paying somebody silly money, I would expect it.

55 minutes ago, The turtle said:

Worst case scenario 6 points off 2nd after new years day fixtures. Would anyone not have taken that at the start of the season or even the beginning of November?

Surely the outlook is that best case scenario we could be 2 points off the top after new year's!

10 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

They are our bounce back game.

After the disappointment of only 4 points from Wolves and Villa we'll go to Manchester and give 'em a good thrashing.

You've had too much Christmas egg nog I think James - but like the optimism.

I don’t think energy levels will be a problem for the upcoming matches. Sure some could do with a game off but we just can’t at the moment and probably wouldn’t if we could in these two fixtures. 

The worry is if Baker and Pato are not available. Add them to Diedhiou and Pisano and that is 4 of 11 first team out injured. We do have good players behind them but they are top quality of the division and missing that much quality will probably show against the better teams. 

24 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I think we have to accept that there will be a game coming up which proves one too far and we lose it, perhaps heavily.

The key is how well we come back after it.

Hear what you're saying, but we've been pants a few times this season yet still won. Look at the Shef Utd away fixture. They were all over us, hit the woodwork 4 times, missed some sitters, yet we still pulled through and won.

This season is becoming crazy; anything can happen.

11 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I guess that applies to returning loans as well? The exception being Gustav as his was until 30/11 so he`s been `our` player again since then?

That's one i don't know the answer to although have a feeling the same may well apply for GE as well. Interestingly though, I've not heard Johnson mention him once in his recent interviews so could he be off in Jan on a perminent basis?

So far, Lee and the team have exceeded all my expectations, even at times when the odds/injuries seemed to be stacked against us.

We've had some blips (Brum, Preston, Leeds, Bolton, Millwall) where I thought we'd do better, but we've had some massive (unexpected) wins.

Hopefully the Gods are looking down on us, and despite injuries, fatigue and everything else, it's going to be our season.

We will soon know.

7 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

So far, Lee and the team have exceeded all my expectations, even at times when the odds/injuries seemed to be stacked against us.

We've had some blips (Brum, Preston, Leeds, Burton, Millwall) where I thought we'd do better, but we've had some massive (unexpected) wins.

Hopefully the Gods are looking down on us, and despite injuries, fatigue and everything else, it's going to be our season.

We will soon know.

2 hours ago, RedNight said:

The next two games, will they be a step too far for this depleted squad?

I rarely post, however, I'm reading so much optimism at the moment and I'm loving it. "We can beat anyone"

Everyones right that we can. But I'm slightly anxious of the next two games. The QPR and Reading games; good results, but our legs don't seem to be there. It's slightly lethargic compared to what we are use to this year. And this is by no means a criticism, in fact it's quite remarkable what the boys have achieved this last month and a half, with so many injuries and the hectic schedule.

But next up we have the best side in the division. Whenever I have watched them, they've looked full of life and very zippy both with the ball and without. Can our energy sapped team deal with this? Then a couple of days later we travel to Villa. They aren't in great form but it's still a tough place to go and they have a quality squad. With a fully fit and fresh squad, I'd fancy us. However, 2 days after what will be a very tough encounter (physically) against wolves? I'm worried. 

Like I said this is no criticism, these lads have been miraculous to be quite honest, they just keep going and going. But it won't last forever and I'm worried it may start against Wolves Saturday. 

But no way am I writing them off! 

Thoughts?

squad rotation the young hopefuls are going to have to raise to the stage and be counted. . It's do or die time . I treat every game as it comes and am loving every minute of this season so far. I have no promotion agenda just enjoy each game and loving the cup runs. COYR red till I die

1 hour ago, Top Robin said:

Our young players should be at the peak of fitness at all times.......and paid handsomely to be so.....its their job.

Injuries aside, one day off between games should be enough to recharge the batteries and for some of them just a good nights sleep would do.

Those that are still 'leggy' after a day's rest are not fit enough and should be given extra fitness training which improve recovery time.

If I were paying somebody silly money, I would expect it.

crikey wouldn't like to work for you, sounds like you would have been thrown out of the gestapo for being to cruel.

Its down to us fans to roar like f_ _k as soon as our lads appear and keep it going for 90 minutes. The lads are doing the business on the pitch and we MUST do our bit in the stands. We could do with spreading some of the brilliant fans in the corner of the Dolman around the rest of the ground. Our players will need us 100% behind them and there is no place for the quiet fans who sit and watch. So as soon as our guys appear, lets shout and get them through these tough matches until reinforcements arrive. Thereafter, we still need to support 100%. COYRs.

2 hours ago, Grey Fox said:

Every game in this league is tough, and we are not the only club that has injuries to contend with, neither with the Xmas schedule are we the only side that might be a little bit knackered. Yes, we had the Man Utd game on top of the others, but when you win a game like that, playing like that, it doesnt hurt quite so much

we will lose a game at some point, but lets keep going and cheer the lads on. Twelth man time

Agree, it’s almost like every other team has had time off over Xmas.  Winning gives you energy.  The sports scientists will have done their job.

Doesnt mean I don’t think it will be a tough game, nor the one after v Villa, but I think this squad have seen the merits of digging deep, working for each other, and also reaped the benefits of doing so, results-wise.

Wolves won’t relish this either, they’ve dropped 4 points in their last 4 games.  Of course they are a good side, but I think posters are over-analysing this one.

56 minutes ago, pillred said:

still better winning one and losing the other though.

Not necessarily true depending on how results pan out across the season. If we draw both we get two points and so do our rivals (in total). Winning one and losing one gives us 3 points and one of our rivals 3 points. The latter option could work against us if we end up missing out on a play off spot to Villa by one point.

Archived