IGNORED

A step too far?

RedNight

The next two games, will they be a step too far for this depleted squad?

I rarely post, however, I'm reading so much optimism at the moment and I'm loving it. "We can beat anyone"

Everyones right that we can. But I'm slightly anxious of the next two games. The QPR and Reading games; good results, but our legs don't seem to be there. It's slightly lethargic compared to what we are use to this year. And this is by no means a criticism, in fact it's quite remarkable what the boys have achieved this last month and a half, with so many injuries and the hectic schedule.

But next up we have the best side in the division. Whenever I have watched them, they've looked full of life and very zippy both with the ball and without. Can our energy sapped team deal with this? Then a couple of days later we travel to Villa. They aren't in great form but it's still a tough place to go and they have a quality squad. With a fully fit and fresh squad, I'd fancy us. However, 2 days after what will be a very tough encounter (physically) against wolves? I'm worried. 

Like I said this is no criticism, these lads have been miraculous to be quite honest, they just keep going and going. But it won't last forever and I'm worried it may start against Wolves Saturday. 

But no way am I writing them off! 

Thoughts?

Villa are in crisis! 

They've got injuries to key players such as Terry, Adomah and Kodjia. 

They haven't won any of their last 5 games.

They have a tough trip to Middlesbrough tomorrow.

We could be playing them at the perfect time!

Seriously think anything from these next two should be seen as a bonus.

We have done incredibly well this month but largely it is the same 8 or 9 outfield players who have had to play the lot.

If they can gain even a point tomorrow & possibly the same again at Villa that would be excellent.

Then we need to see if we can add a couple in the window, get a few back from injury and possibly recall a loan or two before the Norwich game.

1 minute ago, mozo said:

Villa are in crisis! 

They've got injuries to key players such as Terry, Adomah and Kodjia. 

They haven't won any of their last 5 games.

They have a tough trip to Middlesbrough tomorrow.

We could be playing them at the perfect time!

Very true and didn't realise they were away at Boro!

It's certainly a legitimate concern. But, they will have had four days off since the Reading game - which isn't too bad - and we have done a tiny bit of rotation with the players we do have left! And it has to be remembered that it's a busy time for all clubs, whilst acknowledging our extra game against United.

But without question, exhaustation is one of the biggest threats to our season and the quicker we get new recruits / players back, the better!

Could we have signings lined up for immediate debuts at Villa? Is it even possible to get players registered to play on the 1st?

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Seriously think anything from these next two should be seen as a bonus.

We have done incredibly well this month but largely it is the same 8 or 9 outfield players who have had to play the lot.

If they can gain even a point tomorrow & possibly the same again at Villa that would be excellent.

Then we need to see if we can add a couple in the window, get a few back from injury and possibly recall a loan or two before the Norwich game.

I tend to agree that two draws wouldn't be a bad outcome against two promotion rivals.

6 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

It's certainly a legitimate concern. But, they will have had four days off since the Reading game - which isn't too bad - and we have done a tiny bit of rotation with the players we do have left! And it has to be remembered that it's a busy time for all clubs, whilst acknowledging our extra game against United.

But without question, exhaustation is one of the biggest threats to our season and the quicker we get new recruits / players back, the better!

Could we have signings lined up for immediate debuts at Villa? Is it even possible to get players registered to play on the 1st?

Van Dijk cannot play New Year’s Day so I doubt anyone we sign could play. Apparently they’re not eligible until 2nd. 

I’m glad I’m not the only one thinking the same

I fear a zero return from the next two tbh , and that’s not a slight on the players or management

Theyve been unbelievably magnificent but looked out on their feet early on against Reading and with the bare bones injury crisis somethings got to give eventually

Having said that , I’ve lost count the number of times this season these lads have overcome the odds :clap:

As GrahamC has said - I’m taking any5hing we get from the two games as a bonus

I agree that we are looking slightly leggy in some areas.  Key injuries have resulted in some team members having been overplayed a little resulting in more injuries.

Pisano was forced back too soon resulting in a long term layoff.

Patterson has been playing with an injury for weeks as well as baker who both need time to recover.

Joe Bryan is still playing well, but not in the game quite as much as earlier on.  I think he is nursing something.

With our two main strikers out,the burden has fallen on others, though I thought that being forced to play a false number 9 has turned us into an even better team, something different and unusual for the Championship as well as being hard to play against.

At this time of the season, players begin to tire too,though this is the case for all teams. Luckily, our team is fairly young and should have more energy than a squad full of journeymen.

Here is hoping that there is enough left in the tank to despatch Wolves and Villa.

Personally, I think we have to look to beat Wolves. Presumably their players are equally fatigued and are aware of how good we are. They should be happier with a point than us. 

Then we have Villa who will also have to rotate a number of players and the game is then a 50/50.

With this group of incredible players, anything is possible.

Even with the depleted squad, they'll be going all out for 2 wins.

After that, we could really do without the Watford FA cup game - just ten days of rest.  Never thought I'd see a season for City where the FA cup had no importance for me.

49 minutes ago, RedNight said:

The next two games, will they be a step too far for this depleted squad?

I rarely post, however, I'm reading so much optimism at the moment and I'm loving it. "We can beat anyone"

Everyones right that we can. But I'm slightly anxious of the next two games. The QPR and Reading games; good results, but our legs don't seem to be there. It's slightly lethargic compared to what we are use to this year. And this is by no means a criticism, in fact it's quite remarkable what the boys have achieved this last month and a half, with so many injuries and the hectic schedule.

But next up we have the best side in the division. Whenever I have watched them, they've looked full of life and very zippy both with the ball and without. Can our energy sapped team deal with this? Then a couple of days later we travel to Villa. They aren't in great form but it's still a tough place to go and they have a quality squad. With a fully fit and fresh squad, I'd fancy us. However, 2 days after what will be a very tough encounter (physically) against wolves? I'm worried. 

Like I said this is no criticism, these lads have been miraculous to be quite honest, they just keep going and going. But it won't last forever and I'm worried it may start against Wolves Saturday. 

But no way am I writing them off! 

Thoughts?

I think we shall very soon experience our first back to back defeats-how we handle that turn of events may well shape the remainder of our season.

The injury list at City has been a concern for ages but despite that LJ has been able to put out a team capable enough of beating any Championship team. The guy has worked miracles especially when you add 4 PL scalps in the EFL cup run.

He and his backroom staff have got the squad really pulling together and playing with great confidence and Wolves won't fancy the trip to AG tomorrow despite them being top. I daresay that City are the team they fear most.

The very good news is just how even more impressive we'll be when LJ has a fully fit squad at his disposal. Both Djuric and Famara are expected back mid January so their availability will help no end.

No idea about when  Pisaro, GoN and Hegelar will be back training tho,

It is a concern that we have two very tough games when the squad is so depleted, on top of the gruelling Christmas schedule. I’d take a draw from both games if offered.

This is infinitely better, though, than this time last year when we were looking nervously over our shoulders and wondering where the next point would come from.

I agree that 2 points would be a very very welcome return from the next 2 games. Just got a sneaky feeling for tomorrow though that as we are on TV we'll be right at them and we will get the 3 points. We'll then maybe drop off a bit at Villa like we did at QPR. A win tomorrow would be massive and I think we're going to get it. 

The lads looked very leggy v Reading I thought. 

But we are good at keeping the ball and letting it work for us, we don't have to rely on pace and constant pressing. LJ has developed a few strings to the City bow I think; and we ground out a very decent win because of our quality on the ball in the final third.

9 or 10 wins out of the next 22 and we should be in the top 6. Anything more than that we will be knocking on the automatic door. Bloody hell, could you have dreamed it??

Next 2 games are "big" in the context of the table as it stands, but not so significant in the bigger picture. Our key run will be from March to the end, where we have 7/8 very winnable games. Points between now and then are all bonuses to the pot. 

We will run Wolves all over the gaff.

Pack to nutmeg Neves. Twice.

5 minutes ago, RumRed said:

I've gone from expecting a run of losses to believing we can pull anything out of the bag this season, no middle ground for me!  I agree though that two draws would be a good return, the lads must be out on their feet.

We look very solid defensively with the Baker/Flint pairing and even when Baker limped off against Reading Hodur did and excellent job. No worries if Baker misses tomorrow thru injury. Strength in depth......

I'd settle for a win and a loss over the next two games.

Must worry that it is a match to far, but been thinking that all month so who knows.

Wolves are showing so far they are the best in the league. At the moment their recent form reminds me of when teams like Hull and Burnley went up. Nothing to flashy, but when not playing well will take a 1-0, of which three of their last five have been, along with a 0-0. They may be tired too.

Do not think either side will be too disappointed with a draw, so will say 1-1, but our team keeps surprising me, so fingers crossed.

9 minutes ago, reformed_red said:

The lads looked very leggy v Reading I thought. 

But we are good at keeping the ball and letting it work for us, we don't have to rely on pace and constant pressing. LJ has developed a few strings to the City bow I think; and we ground out a very decent win because of our quality on the ball in the final third.

9 or 10 wins out of the next 22 and we should be in the top 6. Anything more than that we will be knocking on the automatic door. Bloody hell, could you have dreamed it??

Next 2 games are "big" in the context of the table as it stands, but not so significant in the bigger picture. Our key run will be from March to the end, where we have 7/8 very winnable games. Points between now and then are all bonuses to the pot. 

We will run Wolves all over the gaff.

Pack to nutmeg Neves. Twice.

Névés say die.

Archived