IGNORED

The official Manchester City FC v Bristol City FC in the Carabao Cup Match Day Thread

Septic Peg

On the train home; voice gone, knackered, but so proud of what was a gutsy performance (and not devoid of quality, either) from the lads, and a titanic effort from the fans - was genuinely shocked how quiet the Man City fans were, even after they scored.

The fact that two of arguably the best players in the world (both of whom cost a fortune) scored against us, while the lad who got ours was a Bristol City academy graduate was great, and even if we came up short, we fought tooth and nail for everything, which is more than can be said for many Premier League teams this season.

Special mentions to our defence, and Bobby Reid, who harassed them all night.

Everything to play for in the second leg.

Quote of the night on one of the Man City forums:

‘Breath of fresh air watching a team come and play football at our place - think only Napoli and Shatkar have done better...the MCFC of the championship...Mangala wouldn’t get anywhere near their side and pep should put a 5 mile restraining order on him around the Etihad.’

2 minutes ago, Red Rum said:

Quote of the night on one of the Man City forums:

‘Breath of fresh air watching a team come and play football at our place - think only Napoli and Shatkar have done better...the MCFC of the championship...Mangala wouldn’t get anywhere near their side and pep should put a 5 mile restraining order on him around the Etihad.’

Mangala is robbing the Man City owners of every penny they are paying him.

There are many things about tonight we should be rightly proud about but two things stand out for me, firstly we gave them far more of a game than Manure did and they were at home and are supposed to be the 2nd best team in the prem FFS and secondly to get their slender lead Pep had to bring one of the best 3 strikers in the world. 

1 hour ago, South-of-river said:

How much for? 

Ha. Don't worry. I'm a micro-stakes player.

I had a £1 on a win at 25-1. I lost out on a £5 cash-in, but I cashed in my 50p 12-1 bet on a scoring draw with a couple on minutes left for a £4 profit. Sadly my 25p bet on a 3-1 win at 475-1 was a loser :(.

31 minutes ago, Hellfire Corner said:

Just listened to the managers interviews. I know they won, but just compare Pep’s words with Jose’s bitter comments the other week. Different class.

Also pregame comments. Jose spoke about the championship being strong and said nothing about us specifically.

Pep mentioned three players by name, stated that we can do long balls but also play and mentioned our long throw tactic. He’d clearly watched us, whereas I doubt José had bothered.

5 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Also pregame comments. Jose spoke about the championship being strong and said nothing about us specifically.

Pep mentioned three players by name, stated that we can do long balls but also play and mentioned our long throw tactic. He’d clearly watched us, whereas I doubt José had bothered.

Didn’t see the pre match stuff, who did Pep mention? COYR 

my only concern about tonight was this - Walsh looked good, and can see him fitting in. Kelly and Vyner have a future, but not there yet, Taylor I am not sure about, Engvall seems to be just adrift does anyone know what to do with him ? Eliasson apparently impresses on the training pitch but looks a fish out of water when he plays for us. If we do not have players coming back from injury very soon we really need to get players in as this bench does not have any game winners/changers on it, in almost every aspect these subs will weaken the team.

Substitutes

• 10Taylor
  • 12Walsh
  • 15Steele
  • 16Engvall
  • 19Eliasson
  • 25Kelly
  • 26Vyner

2 minutes ago, Fiale said:

my only concern about tonight was this - Walsh looked good, and can see him fitting in. Kelly and Vyner have a future, but not there yet, Taylor I am not sure about, Engvall seems to be just adrift does anyone know what to do with him ? Eliasson apparently impresses on the training pitch but looks a fish out of water when he plays for us. If we do not have players coming back from injury very soon we really need to get players in as this bench does not have any game winners/changers on it, in almost every aspect these subs will weaken the team.

Substitutes

• 12Liam Walsh
  • 19Niclas Eliasson
  • 26Zak Vyner
  • 16Gustav Engvall
  • 10Matty Taylor
  • 25Lloyd Kelly
  • 15Luke Steele

Always look on the dark side of life ?

7 minutes ago, Fiale said:

Substitutes

• 10Taylor
  • 12Walsh
  • 15Steele
  • 16Engvall
  • 19Eliasson
  • 25Kelly
  • 26Vyner

Always look on the bright side of life! Do do, do do do do do do

56 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Watch the highlights and laugh at the Citeh fan with the best view in the house, applauding Stones terrible challenge. :laughcont:

55 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Yeah I saw that! All the others are like, Oh God, what`s he done?

Reminded me of the Wolves games as I fist-pumped and cheered what I thought was Wolves last free kick whizzing past the far post and behind to safety. 

7 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

Also, the ref was from Cheshire. Is tgat OK?

Yes. Unless he supports Manchester Blue. Which he obviously doesn't.

I didn't think he did too badly. He let a few things go earlier on then got fed up with our fouling. Flint's was a nailed on idiotic booking. Bryan's might have been borderline. I just don't see what there is to complain about really, especially compared to an average championship ref.

6 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Yes. Unless he supports Manchester Blue. Which he obviously doesn't.

I didn't think he did too badly. He let a few things go earlier on then got fed up with our fouling. Flint's was a nailed on idiotic booking. Bryan's might have been borderline. I just don't see what there is to complain about really, especially compared to an average championship ref.

Wasn’t complaining @Sleepy1968, may have worded it badly but what I meant was it was a great performance and so easily have been even better thats all. No complaints, nothing but pride from me. 

16 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I think that performance puts us upfront and centre for any potential premiership loans this window. It's got to make player recruitment much easier (not that it makes it easy).

Mark Ashton still being coy on radio about signings and how difficult it is in Jan. they certainly dont let on about anything nowadays!!!

2 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

Wasn’t complaining @Sleepy1968, may have worded it badly but what I meant was it was a great performance and so easily have been even better thats all. No complaints, nothing but pride from me. 

Thought ref did ok. They will argue they ‘may’ have had a penalty, one you would rarely get in the Championship, I thought he gave Sterling the benefit of the doubt for a very high foot, even if not malicious. Overall, tried to let the game flow.

I thought Bobby was outstanding tonight. Held his nerve when he had to and held the ball up brilliantly. He even won a few headers against a strong , physical Man City defence. The way he outmuscled stones half way through the second half was impressive, he wouldnt have done that last season. Hurry up and sign a contract extension Bobby. What a player be has turned into. Credit to LJ and Bobby 

Archived