IGNORED

Width of Man City's pitch compared to AG

Jcolebristol

Overheard fans chatting on way out about how Man City will find it harder on a narrow pitch like ours (not to mention the crowd).

From the top tier of the Etihad, it certainly looked like it was a much wider pitch, but thought I would have a google and see how much. 

Seems that actually, our pitch is bigger! See below

However the stat for Etihad is from 2014/15 season - do teams change their pitch sizes often?

I also remember LJ mentioning he had the pitch narrowed at beginning of the season: http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/lee-johnson-ashton-gate-pitch-263527

Ultimately, even if our pitch is a little narrower, will that play into our favour? I know Spurs struggled to adapt when they moved to Wembley so pitch size must make some impact, but make enough of a difference to disrupt a teams game?

Etihad: Field size    115 by 74 yards (105 by 68 m)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_Manchester_Stadium

AG: 115 by 75 yards (105 m × 69 m)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashton_Gate_Stadium

I thought their pitch looked significantly wider than AG - and not just because ours has been narrowed for this season.  So much space around the players compared to our Championship fixtures.

While I was watching the game last night I wondered if this would play into our hands for the return fixture but then Man City haven't been bad on their Premier League and Champions League travels!

27 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Was just about to say the same thing.  Why is it that a highly paid professional footballer seems to have so much difficulty kicking a football?

Because we are all different and mistakes can happen.

Why do humans bite their tongue? Why do you drop things? Why do tennis players hit the net? 

34 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Was just about to say the same thing.  Why is it that a highly paid professional footballer seems to have so much difficulty kicking a football?

I thought Frankie's distribution was excellent last night, including one driven pass that landed over the defender and into the path of a city player in the opposition half.  Looked like he had been practicing!!

1 minute ago, South stander said:

I thought Frankie's distribution was excellent last night, including one driven pass that landed over the defender and into the path of a city player in the opposition half.  Looked like he had been practicing!!

I would hope he bloody well had!

Was a good ball though.

4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I'm not sure narrowing our pitch helps us. I thought it did at first. But when you see how teams like millwall, Burton and Preston played against us, maybe a wider pitch would have suited our passing style. 

3 teams out of 23 I think the calculations might be alright.

1 hour ago, grifty said:

Because we are all different and mistakes can happen.

Why do humans bite their tongue? Why do you drop things? Why do tennis players hit the net? 

According to LJ’s pre-match interview, Frankie’s footballing ability (passing off the deck) was why he got the nod over Steele.

Archived