IGNORED

I know a lot of people like Ryan Kent

EmersonsRed

Good feet but lightweight. Lacks end product and tries to do too much. Towards the end of the game he just needed to get the pass there and right in the middle of the park he tries to shimmy it and hits a brick wall of two players, possession is lost when we were pushing forward and we are on the back foot. Seconds later the bar is hit when it so easily could have been 3-2 Leeds and game over. There is a time and place for fancy footwork. Sometimes you need to just do the basics otherwise naively you can put your team in trouble and lose the game altogether. This he needs to learn. No doubt he has potential though.

1 hour ago, South Somerset Red said:

Stop trying to scapegoat him. Our problems at the moment lie in defence 

hes good offensively but hes part of a midfield and defending is a big part of it, at least 3 times in the game he didn't go with his runner or reacted too slowly to tracking that run, he looked tired last 15 and gave the ball away pretty much everytime in the 2nd half,  that being said, looked great first 70 mins going forward, the defensive side will be added to his game, lee should take some responsibility for not taking him off last 20 mins.

my tuppenceworth

Hard worker but no end product which is what we need. It's no coincidence that since Kent has been playing the results haven't gone for us. The team was consistently winning before the transfer window so surely logically you would go back to the team we were playing in the first half of the season imo

4 minutes ago, simon uk said:

Not when odowda is fully fit, he was coming on leaps and bounds before that injury,,, if he had been fit this season, he will have made a real impact

His injury has had a massive impact. 

And I never rated him last year :facepalm:

15 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

Kent is better than O Dowda 

Kent may have better natural ability but football is far more than that.

At the moment O’Dowda has far more to his game - his overall positional sense is far better as are his defensive capabilities.  Kent may improve those attributes over time but at the moment O’Dowda is a more complete footballer.

50 minutes ago, WestonRobin said:

Has skill and ability and can go past a man with ease. At the moment he just tries to take on too many.

In my opinion, he needs to get his head up and learn to play the simple ball rather than driving at three men and losing the ball.

Think he is desperate to get on the score sheet which is why he makes some of the decisions he does. 

His decision making will improve the more he plays. 

40 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Personally thought he was atrocious. Distracts from the dynamic of a team, doesn't know when to pass the ball and not try and beat his man, constantly loses possession. I want him to do well but he was poor really.

My opinion sits somewhere between these two.

Did some good things today.  In first half he got us up the pitch, in the second half he ran into trouble.

i saw a few of our players get frustrated with him for not laying it off....ultimately they’ll stop making runs for him.  A good player commits his man, beats him, moves it on, and then is in space to receive or commit another player.

Did he swap to the right at some point....I missed that whilst biting my nails.  Appears too much in the centre of the pitch, dribbling in congested areas.  @spudski this was what I saw last week v Sunderland, and there was no Diony pointing for runs that City don’t make.  Not being facetious, just think he lacks discipline.  Not the sole root of our concession today, but we lost shape...again.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Did some good things today.  In first half he got us up the pitch, in the second half he ran into trouble.

i saw a few of our players get frustrated with him for not laying it off....ultimately they’ll stop making runs for him.  A good player commits his man, beats him, moves it on, and then is in space to receive or commit another player.

Did he swap to the right at some point....I missed that whilst biting my nails.  Appears too much in the centre of the pitch, dribbling in congested areas.  @spudski this was what I saw last week v Sunderland, and there was no Diony pointing for runs that City don’t make.  Not being facetious, just think he lacks discipline.  Not the sole root of our concession today, but we lost shape...again.

You’re right and had Brownhill not picked up a knock I reckon that he would have come off.

Really needs to learn when to pass it and when to take a player on, he did it repeatedly last week as well.

We aren’t good enough to carry someone who gives the ball away so much when we are under the cosh.

We are coaching Kent for Liverpool’s gain, of course we are. We send our u23’s out for the same reason. The trouble is that he is learning his game to the detriment of the team it seems, we were better off without him is the view. If we were languishing mid table with nothing to play for people would understand and be patient, perhaps enjoy seeing him develop instead of blaming him for scuppering our promotion bid.

Personally I think Kent will be great for us given a few more games.

Having said thatI think when Baker comes back I would rather put Mags at LB, Joe at LM (due to his lack of form at LB atm) and then use Kent as a sub for either Bryan or Brownhill.

Would be great rotating Kent Pato and Brownhill to keep our high pressing game sustainable IMO.

Kent and diedhou shouldn't be starters.

They would work better as impact players when the opposition energy levels are dropping.

They both lose the ball for the team regularly.

Durij is not good enough for this level nor is Woodrow or Ellison.

Looking forward to Hegeler and O dowda. 

Matty Taylor causes problems and panic but again shouldn't be a starter at this level. 

Not sure about O Neil and don't know enough of Pisano. Instinct is O Neil may be too slow and give the ball away too often but maybe a few games will be fine after a long time out but will he be fit. Probably 60 minutes only at most.

2 hours ago, old_eastender said:

Thought his decision making was poor today, turned into trouble a few times, still looks threatening though.

Exactly this.. often does the hard work, but doesn't see the simple option.. 

I think Johnson will get the best out of him with time. I think that is a strength of LJ's

5 minutes ago, RedNight said:

Exactly this.. often does the hard work, but doesn't see the simple option.. 

I think Johnson will get the best out of him with time. I think that is a strength of LJ's

Agree, but think he needs a kick up the arse to make him realise he didn’t help our cause in the second half today.  For me, that kick up the arse comes with a spot on the bench on Wednesday.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Agree, but think he needs a kick up the arse to make him realise he didn’t help our cause in the second half today.  For me, that kick up the arse comes with a spot on the bench on Wednesday.

Yeh potentially.. but with Pack suspended, I expect Brownhill to go central and Pato to come in on the right.. meaning Kent keeps his play, unless Johnson goes with Walsh to protect the right (with Brownhill) because of the sessegeon threat. 

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Hi mate...The introduction of Kent and Diony will always be difficult as imo, they aren't naturally suited to our way of playing. However...tonight I thought it was down to two individual mistakes in the lack of reaction time. whether that's down to complacency is another debate...regardless of that thought, I still don't think JB is a good LB when the ball is behind him or level.

So disappointed to have lost a 2 nil lead, but had us down for a 1-1 at the start. I don't blame LJ this time...players seemed to lack concentration 2nd half.

Archived