IGNORED

Lack of striker options

Marlborough Red

Quality of goal scoring options on bench tonight simply not good enough for a team challenging the play offs.. Once again nobody available to change the game in our favour. How many goals have the following 8 strikers in our squad scored this season ? Less than 5 between them ?

Woodrow

Leko  (now left)

Eliasson

Engvall

Diony

Kent

Taylor

Duric

How much have the club forked out in wages / fees for these players ?   The only one likely to get near the first team is Duric (when fit) IMO

Would rather have a smaller squad and forked out for quality not quantity. Must be almost impossible to keep these fringe players occupied , engaged and motivated when they know LJ has no trust in their ability to add value to the team and therefore won't play them even when a goal down away from home and we need a result.

Clear out required in the summer , rather see academy players given a chance.

53 minutes ago, Marlborough Red said:

Quality of goal scoring options on bench tonight simply not good enough for a team challenging the play offs.. Once again nobody available to change the game in our favour. How many goals have the following 8 strikers in our squad scored this season ? Less than 5 between them ?

Woodrow

Leko  (now left)

Eliasson

Engvall

Diony

Kent

Taylor

Duric

How much have the club forked out in wages / fees for these players ?   The only one likely to get near the first team is Duric (when fit) IMO

Would rather have a smaller squad and forked out for quality not quantity. Must be almost impossible to keep these fringe players occupied , engaged and motivated when they know LJ has no trust in their ability to add value to the team and therefore won't play them even when a goal down away from home and we need a result.

I disagree with a lot of what you said but agree on your main point. Give the younger players a chance. Personally, would not have brough in Kent. Instead would have played Eliasson. If I was getting offers for Magnússon, I would have let him go for the right price and blooded Kelly. Even Liam Walsh had a good spell in L2 and a couple games in the championship yet we have Joe Morrell at a similar age having a good spell in L2(not that I think Walsh is bad just possibly redundant). 

So yea we did need the players. They weren’t brought in to be as underwhelming as they have been. They were brought in to compete and make the squad stronger and they have. Don’t underestimate the effect new players have motivating players already here by threatening to take their spot. Though I think there are a few instances where I would have looked for solutions in house. 

The two loan strikers, Diony and Woodrow have been very poor up until now.

Meanwhile this McBurnie bloke (loan from Swansea) looks like he will singlehandedly keep Barnsley up. Five goals in six games I think it is now ?

Why were we not in for this guy who knows how to finish; I'm sure he would have preferred a promotion challenge rather than a relegation scrap for his loan period ?

7 hours ago, Marlborough Red said:

Woodrow

Leko  (now left)

Eliasson

Engvall

Diony

Kent

Taylor

Duric

Again MA and LJ have made more mistakes in the transfer market than good signings. Someone like Alex Neil wouldn't have had the luxury of such resource. 

Our loan signings this year have been poor to say the least, all 4 have contributed next to nothing with only leko having a couple of good games. I rate both Elliasson and Duric and I hope that they are given more of a chance, duric is the best target man we've had in a long time and Elliasson has a brilliant left foot and is able to beat his man. Taylor was bought to spite the gas in my opinion and I wouldn't give up on engvall yet, he's only 21 and still has plenty of time to learn

48 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

Again MA and LJ have made more mistakes in the transfer market than good signings. Someone like Alex Neil wouldn't have had the luxury of such resource. 

Wager the money we'll make off their good decisions easily covers the miss hits for signings. Its what you're likely to see when you go for undervalued players who you think could turn out successful. 

2 minutes ago, hodge said:

Wager the money we'll make off their good decisions easily covers the miss hits for signings. Its what you're likely to see when you go for undervalued players who you think could turn out successful. 

A fair point. But the Diony deal is looking terrible for a multi-million player. 

Huge wages. Thank god we can get rid. 

Couldnt agree less with the post. If you only want quality and they face injury and suspension like Pisano, Wright, Baker, Flint, Bryam what do you smart ass** want Bobby to play at the back? Hindsight is easy but comes across as being very naive.

Alex Neal has the resources - just check the programme from last night of players who wont do any more than your list.

Really don’t think up front is the issue.

Bobby is in the form of his life, & despite a lengthy injury absence Famara has already scored more goals than any second striker has since we went back up.

Two goals at Leeds, 3 v Sunderland, we shouldn’t need to score two away every game to get a point.

13 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Our loan signings this year have been poor to say the least, all 4 have contributed next to nothing with only leko having a couple of good games. I rate both Elliasson and Duric and I hope that they are given more of a chance, duric is the best target man we've had in a long time and Elliasson has a brilliant left foot and is able to beat his man. Taylor was bought to spite the gas in my opinion and I wouldn't give up on engvall yet, he's only 21 and still has plenty of time to learn

What do we all base this love in for Djuric on? He's barely played in one year and hardly set the world alight

11 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

A fair point. But the Diony deal is looking terrible for a multi-million player. 

Even assuming it's as high as 20k per week, you're looking around £400k as a cost. Whilst those might be huge wages, that doesnt get away from Diony being a really low risk (financially) signing.

We could try that or similar loans 20+ times before we pay Hugill's transfer fee in isolation - let alone wages and signing on fees. 

Even with the benefit of hindsight, at this moment in time in still glad we looked at alternatives from Hugill. 

2 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

What do we all base this love in for Djuric on? He's barely played in one year and hardly set the world alight

He's been injured for ages tinman...........

However I'll take the time to explain firstly that Djuric although not the greatest player causes problems for the opposition with his height and ability to hold the ball up. He's another option up top - why do you suppose LJ has stuck Flint up there when he needed another option?

Secondly, LJ and MA have been implementing SLs strategy/philosophy of signing young players in and effort to develop them. That's why so many younger players are out on loan - playing men's football in competitive leagues - just as Liverpool are doing with Ryan Kent and Chelsea did  with Tammy.

When these guys return to AG they'll hopefully have enough quality to push for a place in the first team squad. If not then they move on with a small profit.

To say that mistakes have been made with transfers is very shortsighted on your part.

23 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Bobby is in the form of his life, & despite a lengthy injury absence Famara has already scored more goals than any second striker has since we went back up.

Two goals at Leeds, 3 v Sunderland, we shouldn’t need to score two away every game to get a point.

Much closer to the truth. We’ve scored enough goals to have put us in fourth or fifth position by now if we’d defended properly. Bobby and Famara are doing their jobs. The culprits are elsewhere.

26 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

You name two strikers though. Is that ever enough?

1 minute ago, CliftonCliff said:

Much closer to the truth. We’ve scored enough goals to have put us in fourth or fifth position by now if we’d defended properly. Bobby and Famara are doing their jobs. The culprits are elsewhere.

Timings of goals are as important as the number. You cannot just look at a goals for column and surmise everything okay. 

If we had scored first last night they would have had to open up. They are much worse when they have to do that

26 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

It pains me when I struggle every month to put food on the table for my family, and some of these footballers are getting paid 10 or 15 grand a WEEK for running around a field like headless chickens, offering little more than you or I could. It's disgusting really.

12 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

Don’t disagree at all, RedDave. I was merely supporting Graham’s point that blaming the strikers is well wide of the mark. If you have to score three or four to win a game, you’re always going to struggle.

Our first eleven is extremely strong and we have two reserves who do not we can assesshave two reserves who do not weaken us when they come in.  Unfortunately all of the others do you make us worse and that is where we need to improve

I don't think it's fair to criticise the club for Diony. If a French team paid £9M for him then he should have some real quality. It was a risk but we might have unearthed a gem.

Now, if we sign him permanently for a similar amount in the summer then we've got a real problem!

51 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

Holds the ball up brilliantly, wins every header and is a threat in the area, what more do you want from a target man? 

4 minutes ago, Xiled said:

I don't think it's fair to criticise the club for Diony. If a French team paid £9M for him then he should have some real quality. It was a risk but we might have unearthed a gem.

Now, if we sign him permanently for a similar amount in the summer then we've got a real problem!

I think it's fair to criticise them. The scouting team presumably watched him play a few times before bringing him in - that should've given them enough time to make a sound assessment. If they'd never seen him play, that might've constituted a risk, but this was just bad judgement. And absolutely not what a promotion-chasing team needed. And suppose he did start banging them in for us - that would massively hike up the asking price for him  anyway.

4 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

I think it's fair to criticise them. The scouting team presumably watched him play a few times before bringing him in - that should've given them enough time to make a sound assessment. If they'd never seen him play, that might've constituted a risk, but this was just bad judgement. And absolutely not what a promotion-chasing team needed. And suppose he did start banging them in for us - that would massively hike up the asking price for him  anyway.

Personally I don't think we've seen enough of Dionsey to form a firm opinion just yet. 

From the brief glimpses of him he's undoubtedly a strong and powerful but he doesn't seem yet to have made the step up from French football to the Championship - possibly because he hasn't had enough game time.

17 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Doesn’t work like that mate, club have a pre agreed price set before the loan deal for that exact reason 

Archived