IGNORED

"Young group"

headhunter

LJ: "Sometimes that’s the by-product of having a young group: they make mistakes and we have to make sure we score more goals".

Average age of the team that took the field against PNE on Tuesday was 25.7 years.

Just wondered whether this age constitutes a "young group" as described by LJ in the eyes of others on here. 

Anyone compared ours with other Top 10 Championship teams?

I think constantly reminding us this is a young group encourages us sub contiously to be patient. But as people say it’s experience and games played.

The January window was awful for us, but I guess they thought they were bringing in better quality/more experience that we had. If we had been mid table I think we would have played our own youngsters and saved a bit of money. That way they would have been more ready for the campaign next year. Instead we have got two players who probably won’t be here who are getting experience in the limited game time they have been trusted with.

23 minutes ago, Robbored said:

"Group" is the lated football 'buzz' word and LJ is being trendy..............:facepalm:

Not sure how exactly its a buzz word? Group is just a (perfectly acceptable) synonym for squad or team.

I don't know why people get so hung up on the exact words football managers use, its not like they're using script writers or anything - usually they are quoted when talking off the cuff. 

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Nonsense arguement - surely down to experience?

Ironic that Wolves have a younger average squad than us!

image.png

It helps for Wolves in that Rueben Neves is 20 and Diogo Jota is 21, having your 2 best players be very young brings the minutes per age part down

20 minutes ago, Bobby Bollax said:

C780101C-2F80-4B8A-B0A0-9FC20133EE0F.png

you can't really just write 'loan' next to Afobe, Bonatini and Jota. I dread to think what the loan fees and wages for those three are, I'm sure I read somewhere Bournemouth were wanting a substantial loan fee for Afobe (over £2m for example) and his wages being huge for this level.

Think a bit of "experience" is what we lack this season, think of the difference signing Elliott made to our L1 title winning side under Cotterill.

They will be , in my opinion, better next season for what they have hopefully learnt this, that goes for LJ too.

If we could add an experienced midfielder (GON was supposed to be this, but is always injured), that would help. 

I’m sick of hearing it tbh he says it a lot ...they’re obviously going to be a young group as an old group wouldn’t be much use ...when does a young group become an old group that’s what I want to know ...players will always make mistakes young or old so enough with this crap ....:yawn:

3 hours ago, hodge said:

you can't really just write 'loan' next to Afobe, Bonatini and Jota. I dread to think what the loan fees and wages for those three are, I'm sure I read somewhere Bournemouth were wanting a substantial loan fee for Afobe (over £2m for example) and his wages being huge for this level.

Was gonna post similar.  Bit like saying Terry is a free, but on £5m pa wages plus whatever signing on fee.

3 hours ago, Grey Fox said:

Think a bit of "experience" is what we lack this season, think of the difference signing Elliott made to our L1 title winning side under Cotterill.

They will be , in my opinion, better next season for what they have hopefully learnt this, that goes for LJ too.

If we could add an experienced midfielder (GON was supposed to be this, but is always injured), that would help. 

Wadeyyyyyyy.....the player we’ve never replaced.

2 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

GON was meant to be that man . 

Yep indeed he was....and until Tomlin’s Penalty miss v Sheff Wed, and O’Neil’s sending off from the rebound, he was.  I remember listening on the radio whilst having Sky Sports New on, and until I saw the highlight I just couldn’t visualise how we went from 2-1 with a pen versus 10 men, to being down to 10 ourselves 5 seconds later.

We fielded a team whose average age was over 27 against Sheffield, and even our youngest team fielded this season was not the youngest - I would say we are pretty average in our average team players age. If he is referring tot he entire squad, then maybe that is part of our problem and why we had such a lack of cover in positions, to many young players we are not willing to risk filling first team positions.

Average_Oldest_Starting_XI_Sky_Bet_Championship_17_18_-_2018-03-09_17.57.11.png

Average_Youngest_Starting_XI_Sky_Bet_Championship_17_18_-_2018-03-09_17.56.41.png

6 hours ago, hodge said:

It helps for Wolves in that Rueben Neves is 20 and Diogo Jota is 21, having your 2 best players be very young brings the minutes per age part down

Despite their young ages, these two also had over 130 appearances between them, at a high level, before coming to Wolves.

Experience doesn’t always equate to age. 

Our younger players simply don’t have that sort of experience at the level of a team like Porto. In fact they’ve all been bought from teams at a level or league equivilant to or lower than ours. Even with Walsh who came from Everton and Hörður from Juve, neither made a senior appearance.

7 hours ago, hodge said:

Plus the fact they have already agreed a fee for Jota in the summer (£14m IIRC)

I remain convinced that if we don't go up the ' old guard ' from our League 1 days will move on .

They are in their primes and may just fancy a new challenge.

Equally, the club's avowed policy is to sell on players at their peak .

The team will look completely different next year . 

Interesting times.

From a perspective on the south coast there are some interesting points made today and they are not too melodramatic, IMO; just far, far too much detail for most people who want to skim through interesting BCFC news.

There is little doubt the club is in a better position than it ever has been and had there been a Forum in 1975-79 it would be full of people complaining about the manager (legendary A.D) not using more players (16 all season), the board not having a big transfer season and the ground not having enough hot pies!

For the younger OTIB members, we were a decent 2nd tier side who got to the 'promised land' and were only kept up in the first season by the corrupt nature of a certain Jimmy Hill. For much of the next few seasons, there were fans protests and shout of Manager (Dicks) out!- Bristolians are really a negative and pessimistic bunch so what you read as pernickety complaints this season are nothing new.

Just get behind the team and one day soon we may go up to the top flight where we will find hundreds of new posters complaining about this or that (prices, K.O changes, away allocations) etc etc but the vast majority of fans will not come on here but just enjoy the banter of their mates in the stands.

43 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I remain convinced that if we don't go up the ' old guard ' from our League 1 days will move on .

They are in their primes and may just fancy a new challenge.

Equally, the club's avowed policy is to sell on players at their peak .

The team will look completely different next year . 

Interesting times.

Interesting Major.  Here’s thoughts on most of first team

Fielding - think he’ll still be here but we’ll be looking at an upgrade in the summer

Flint - unless we get promoted, I think he’ll go.  I think he desoarately wants to get there with us, and I wonder whether Tuesday’s frustrations were a sense of the chance is disappearing?

Baker - will take a massive fee to see him go, expect him to stay.

Bryan - expect him to still be here, think interest may cool, unless he has a barnstorming remaining 8/11 games.

Smith - staying put, young family and all that

Pack - expect there will be interest but he’s settled like Korey

Brownhill - his agent likes a bit of rumour.  We’ll see, think he’ll be here next season.

Paterson - stay, found his most consistent form with us.

Reid - much will depend on contract, City will definitely take up year option, but that would leave them exposed next summer.  Expectva new deal in line with others.  So important to us.

Diedhiou - bound to have attracted interest.  11 goals at a rate of almost 1:2.  Hope he stays, expect he will.

So, in summary I think the core will be here.  Biggest doubt will be Flint, next Brownhill.  

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Fielding - think he’ll still be here but we’ll be looking at an upgrade in the summer

Flint - unless we get promoted, I think he’ll go.  I think he desoarately wants to get there with us, and I wonder whether Tuesday’s frustrations were a sense of the chance is disappearing?

Bryan - expect him to still be here, think interest may cool, unless he has a barnstorming remaining 8/11 games.

Brownhill - his agent likes a bit of rumour.  We’ll see, think he’ll be here next season.

Reid - much will depend on contract, City will definitely take up year option, but that would leave them exposed next summer.  Expectva new deal in line with others.  So important to us.

Diedhiou - bound to have attracted interest.  11 goals at a rate of almost 1:2.  Hope he stays, expect he will.

So, in summary I think the core will be here.  Biggest doubt will be Flint, next Brownhill.  

We're getting to crunch time with this one - contract talks have been ongoing with no news forthcoming makes me nervous. Like you say, we'll no doubt activate our option for an extra year but we won't want to get to next January and, with the prospect of the player leaving for nowt next summer, have to accept a derisory offer just to get some money for him - it would be the Goater situation all over again. So that means this summer is now or never time - either a new contract is signed or we have to sell him, to make sure we get something like his true value. 

10 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

We're getting to crunch time with this one - contract talks have been ongoing with no news forthcoming makes me nervous. Like you say, we'll no doubt activate our option for an extra year but we won't want to get to next January and, with the prospect of the player leaving for nowt next summer, have to accept a derisory offer just to get some money for him - it would be the Goater situation all over again. So that means this summer is now or never time - either a new contract is signed or we have to sell him, to make sure we get something like his true value. 

Need to give him what he deserves, not try to do it on the cheap because he’s local, loves City etc.  He’s the league’s joint top scorer, he should be getting a big pay rise.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Need to give him what he deserves, not try to do it on the cheap because he’s local, loves City etc.  He’s the league’s joint top scorer, he should be getting a big pay rise.

LJ and especially MA are very well aware of what players are approaching contract negotiations,

Flint has already signed and I'm sure that important players like Reid and Bryan are due to be offered new deals.

Why some posters think that City's top players will be short changed is laughable. 

MA knows exactly what the situation is regarding negotiations and has the required skills and experience to arrive at the best deal for City. 

If I were a football agent MA is one CEO I'd want to avoid.

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Yep. Tbh, what we ask fee wise for our players will put most off. I just don’t see us getting 10+m for the players you have there. That is what it will most likely take to get them. Just can’t see it with their lack of top flight experience. Flint most likely with Bryan and Brownhill following. Though Reid and Pack wildcards with their contracts. 

Archived