IGNORED

Friday Facts About Reading

greenun

Juventus wear black and white stripes to mimic Notts County...because they are the 1st ever club

Sheffield FC are the oldest club still in existance - founded 1857. In 2007, Sheffield FC celebrated their 150th anniversary with a 'service to football' attended by Sepp Blatter, president of FIFA and other key dignatories were also present.

Notts County are the oldest football league club - founded 1862.

Notts County are the oldest football league club but surely they were inaugurated into the league in 1888 at the same time as the other eleven clubs? Will someone now name all the twelve original football league clubs? :dancing6:

Preston must have been in there somewhere?

Could cheat and google this I suppose, but not going to!

Woolwich Arsenal?

Villa?

Preston must have been in there somewhere?

Could cheat and google this I suppose, but not going to!

Woolwich Arsenal?

Villa?

No Woolwich Arsenal or any other Southern club as all the original football league clubs came from the Midlands and North West - specifically Lancashire. That's why Lancashire is still known as football's citadel.

No Woolwich Arsenal or any other Southern club as all the original football league clubs came from the Midlands and North West - specifically Lancashire. That's why Lancashire is still known as football's citadel.

Ok, I'll stick with Villa then.

Burnley, Liverpool, Everton, Oldham, Newton Heath, what ever Man City were called at the time, Bolton, Blackburn

Ok, I'll stick with Villa then.

Burnley, Liverpool, Everton, Oldham, Newton Heath, what ever Man City were called at the time, Bolton, Blackburn

None of your selection are Midland clubs ??!!! :innocent06: BTW Man City were originally known as Ardwick FC as you've stated 'Newton Heath' - being the former name of Man U.

The Football league was founded in 1888. Here are the 1888-89 season finishing positions.......

1. PRESTON NORTH END - thus the very first league champions !!!!!

2. Aston Villa

3. Wolverhampton Wanderers

4. Blackburn Rovers

5. Bolton Wanderers

6. West Bromwich Albion

7. Accrington

8. Everton

9. Burnley

10. Derby County

11. Notts County

12. Stoke City

None of your selection are Midland clubs ??!!! :innocent06: BTW Man City were originally known as Ardwick FC as you've stated 'Newton Heath' - being the former name of Man U.

The Football league was founded in 1888. Here are the 1888-89 season finishing positions.......

2. Aston Villa

4. Blackburn Rovers

5. Bolton Wanderers

6. West Bromwich Albion

7. Accrington

8. Everton

9. Burnley

10. Derby County

11. Notts County

12. Stoke City

I kept Villa on there as my token Midlands club!

Knew that United were Newton Heah and knew that City were called something else, but couldn't remember what.

I was going to say Accrington - doh!

2. Aston Villa

4. Blackburn Rovers

5. Bolton Wanderers

6. West Bromwich Albion

7. Accrington

8. Everton

9. Burnley

10. Derby County

11. Notts County

12. Stoke City

And I think I am correct in saying EVERTON have been there eversince - never been out of the top division

Not that it is anything to do with Reading though

But they are the only league team with a major rock festival named after them

Reading that is...not Everton

I kept Villa on there as my token Midlands club!

Knew that United were Newton Heah and knew that City were called something else, but couldn't remember what.

I was going to say Accrington - doh!

Sorry, I didn't notice you'd stated Villa - quite obviously a Midlands club being from Birmingham. :rolleyes:

And I think I am correct in saying EVERTON have been there eversince - never been out of the top division

Not that it is anything to do with Reading though

But they are the only league team with a major rock festival named after them

Reading that is...not Everton

I think they, or Arsenal, have the longest uninterrupted streak at present, but they have been relegated. Per the Oracle of all that is true:

"In 1925 the club signed Dixie Dean who, in 1927–28, set the record for league goals in a single season (60 goals in 39 league games, a record that still stands to this day), helping Everton to achieve their third league title.[3]

Everton were relegated to the Second Division two years later but won the title and thus promotion at the first attempt. On their return to the top flight in 1931–32, Everton wasted no time in reaffirming their status and won a fourth League title at the first opportunity. They also won their second FA Cup in 1932–33 with a 3–0 win against Manchester City in the final. The era ended in 1938–39 with a fifth League title. The advent of World War II saw the suspension of League football, and when official competition restarted in 1946 the Everton team had been split-up and paled in comparison to the pre-war club. Everton were relegated again in 1950–51 and did not return until 1953–54, when they finished as runners-up in their third season in the Second Division. The club have been a top flight presence ever since"

Everton have been out of the top div just for one season and played City at Easter. They won 1-0 at the Gate, but then a few days later City won the return fixture 3-1 at Goodison.

2. Aston Villa

4. Blackburn Rovers

5. Bolton Wanderers

6. West Bromwich Albion

7. Accrington

8. Everton

9. Burnley

10. Derby County

11. Notts County

12. Stoke City

The Invincibles had a very good year that year. Double winners, didn't lose a league game, didn't concede a goal in the cup.

Am I the only one wondering who they played against? How long did they have to wait for a game?

According to their website, in 1866 Sheffield FC played the first inter-city match with London City at Battersea Park. The sight of the Sheffield players butting the ball reduce the London players and fans to fits of laughter. Heading is born.

The URL for Sheffield FC......

http://www.sheffieldfc.com/index.php?optio...3&Itemid=64

Reading were formed in 1871. They were originally nicknamed The Biscuitmen after one of the main trades in the town, Huntley & Palmers biscuits, but changed to the Royals in the 1970s, when the company closed their factory. This history is reflected in the name of the club's unofficial fanzine, Hob Nob Anyone?, named after a popular British biscuit.

Juventus wear black and white stripes to mimic Notts County...because they are the 1st ever club

Actually in 1899 Juventus played in pink shirts but continual washing faded the colour so much that in 1903 they sought to replace them. The club asked one of their team members, Englishman John Savage, if he had any contacts in England who could supply new shirts in a colour that would better withstand the elements.

By coincidence, his friend back home lived in Notthingham, and being a Notts County supporter, shipped out the black and white striped shirts to Turin.

Juve have worn the shirts ever since, considering the colours to be agressive and powerful.

Taken from the Notts County website!!!

Juve have worn the shirts ever since, considering the colours to be agressive and powerful.

A famous English amateur club - Corinthian FC founded 1882 - had their white shirts adopted by Real Madrid. Also, Sport Club Corinthians Paulista in Brazil adopted their name. In 1904, Corinthian beat Manchester United 11-3, which remains United's biggest ever defeat.

714px-Corinthians_1896-7.jpg

A famous English amateur club - Corinthian FC founded 1882 - had their white shirts adopted by Real Madrid. Also, Sport Club Corinthians Paulista in Brazil adopted their name. In 1904, Corinthian beat Manchester United 11-3, which remains United's biggest ever defeat.

714px-Corinthians_1896-7.jpg

I heard that if the Corinthians got awarded a penalty they would deliberately miss is as they didnt want to win that way!! All I can picture when I think of the Corinthians is Mr Cholmondley-Warner (Harry Enfield) style footage of guys with big moustaches smoking pipes whilst playing and saying "good shot old man"

I heard that if the Corinthians got awarded a penalty they would deliberately miss is as they didnt want to win that way!! All I can picture when I think of the Corinthians is Mr Cholmondley-Warner (Harry Enfield) style footage of guys with big moustaches smoking pipes whilst playing and saying "good shot old man"

I've heard a similar story that when penalties were introduced Corinthians wouldn't contest them.

Their goalkeeper would not stand in the goal mouth believing that if the player taking the penalty thought they were going to score then they would rightly be given the chance to score the goal. And if they didn't think they were going to score then they would miss on purpose.

Gentlemen's game back then, dear boys!

:worship2: Read "Play Up Corinth" By Rob Cavallini - A history of the Corinthian Football Club 1882-1939. It was Corinthian FC that was responsible for exporting English football to the world - including Basso's Brazil !!!!!!.....Read an excerpt from this great book at the URL below......

http://www.gringoes.com/articles.asp?ID_Noticia=1886

Reading chairman John Madejski (Affectionatley known as Mad John) was founder of Autotrader UK, and he enjoys spending time with celebrity friends that include Cilla Black, Dale Winton, Paul O 'Grady, Christopher Biggins and Tory MP Michael Howard.

F8ck me, if wealth brings you friends like that I'll give it a miss!

Is he a wrong 'un, 3 of the 4 blokes mentioned there bat for the other team!

Everton have been out of the top div just for one season and played City at Easter. They won 1-0 at the Gate, but then a few days later City won the return fixture 3-1 at Goodison.

Everton have actually spent 4 seasons outside the top flight, which is a record low, followed by Aston Villa.

Arsenal however hold the record for number of consecutive seasons in the top flight, followed by Everton.

An as for Reading: The Madjeski Stadium is the only venue to have witnessed a sending off for a debutee for tw*tting the ball into the heart of the opposition's support during a stoppage in play.

Another fact about Reading: Tony Pulis is a w*nker. He also started his ill-fated stint at City's helm away at Reading.

Not really a fact about the whole team of Reading but I have two about keeper Marcus Hanneman

First being that he actually wears orange contact lenses, I can't remember what for but this was revealed on soccer a.m. a few seasons back

and the second is that nike ellegedly discontinued their sponsorship of Paul Robinson with the black gloves due to a 'dissapointing series of performances'

and chose Marcus Hanneman as his succesor however the validity of the previous fact is questionable.

1930-31 season and I quote from "Bristol City FC, the complete hisstory"; On Good Friday 36,129 spectators paid £2,300 a record for a League match and gave a rapturous reception to former player Billy Coggins who captained Everton that day. Stein scored the only goal, the railings gave way and the crowd flooded onto the pitch. That result left City facing the Third Division again. The return was on Easter Monday. Everton were on their way back to the first division and the result semed a formality, especially as City's keeper was out injured and inexperienced David Whitelaw took over. Elliott equalised an earlier goal by Dixie Dean and Mercer gave the City the lead just before half time. When he scored again in the second half it was all over.

Replying to other posts on this thread; Reading were traditionally "The Biscuitmen". In the 1980s Oxford United's owners wanted to merge that club with Reading and they would have the name Thames Valley Royals. Most games would be played at Oxford, but some would be at Reading. The scheme fell through but Reading kept the nick name Royals.

Many sports clubs and groups of people would play football, but Sheffield FC were the first club to be formed specifically to play football and are thus the oldest football club. Notts Co are the oldest such club who got into the League which makes them the oldest League club.

Strange fact about Reading?

Summer of 1976 3rd Div Reading 2 - newly promoted City 0 in a friendly. Next away game was in the 1st div at Highbury; Arsenal 0- City 1.

When football stopped for World War 1 Arsenal were 5th in Div 2. When football resumed it was decided to increase the size of the first div by two clubs. The relegated 2 were not reinstated as Arsenal's chairman argued at the 1919 League AGM. Instead the top four from Div 2 should all go up. He then pointed out that Arsenal had a better history and were a bigger club than 4th placed Grimsby so they should be the promoted club. And the rest of the League accepted this and voted Arsenal into Div 1 from which they've not been relegated.

1930-31 season and I quote from "Bristol City FC, the complete history"; On Good Friday 36,129 spectators paid £2,300 a record for a League match and gave a rapturous reception to former player Billy Coggins who captained Everton that day.

....and......Everton currently hold the record for the most seasons in the top flight.

Total number of seasons in the Top Flight up to the end of Season 2007/08......

Everton 105

Aston Villa 97

Liverpool 93

Arsenal 91

Manchester United 83

Archived