IGNORED

John Atyeo

Guest moorolfc

Guest moorolfc

Hi, I was asked by one of your members to come and post a little here about my friend, John Atyeo.

Although my family originate from Liverpool, like many scousers they moved south for work, specifically in my old mans case with the army, and we found ourselves settled in the town of Warminster, where "Big John" was a legend, and also a school teacher. He was never actually directly one of my teachers, but we bonded over our love of football. I always used to play footy with my family and friends outside his house, and inevitably John would come out and occassionally join in. I remember on one occassion playing two on two, and being about 50-10 up with first to 60, when John joined in with the opposition. Suffice to say we lost. He was amazing at football even with a gammy leg! Once in his garden, with his son in attendance, I went in goal, and he knocked me out with a volley that caught me square in the face. Most school days he would spy me walking to school and pick me up in his blue rover, and we'd talk footy on the way to school. On one occassion I asked him about his best ever goal: he said he hit a 40 yarder for City away to Villa in the Cup. He admitted it was a fluke:apparantly the ball bobbled just as he hit it, and it flew in like a volley. Even the Villa fans clapped.

Most weekends, as I was too young to travel to Anfield (I now watch the "reds" home and away), I would travel to football with John. We used to drive from Warminster to an isolated house near Bath, and pick up another guy who had been a director of STFC. Now I know you lot may not like this, but John was so footy mad, he would go to the football at Ashton or at Twerton, depending on who was home. I used to sit in the back of the car, earwigging these patriarchs of the sport wax in knowledgeble tones. They were great days: I was fifteen or so, and would drive into the players car park at Ashton Gate with John. The fans (you lot!) would bang on his window and then we would enter via the players entrance. I still remember the comissioner and his unifrom. John would have a quick word then out of nowhere a ticket would arrive, and I would have a very good seat around the directors box. One trip to Ashton Gate sticks out for me: you were playing Forest in the semis of the Littlewoods Cup. I hang around with John all day-I remember Bobby Gould coming up to him after the game saying "what a great cup tie and what a great left foot that Parker has". I also remember him bumping in to Cloughie himself,"you'd have scored five today if you's been out there John" was Cloughie's greeting before a warm embrace.

I went off to Medical School the year before Big John died. He was very proud of me I think. Just before the Easter he had a heart attack, and on my holiday home I went to see him, chatted footy for a few hours and said goodbye. My family called me in the middle of my end of year exams to tell me that John wanted to speak to me. I promised to call him as soon as my exams were over. The night before my last exam I was called again. I could tell in my Nan's voice something was wrong and she told me to sit down and then gave me the news: "Big John" had died that afternoon.

I was enormously touched at his funeral, as his family had placed me on the top tier, with the footballing mourners, and not with the others who had known John after his sporting career. The service was very moving and quite humourous, but I cracked up emotionally when his coffin was removed from the church, draped in a BCFC flag, and with "Red Red Robbin" playing solemnly, and low tempo on the church organ. Many of the other footy people around me did like wise. Outside the church one of my school teachers stopped me to tell me that I was the last person that John had spoken about at school, and that i had promised to call him, a promise that to this day I regret not keeping.

This is a copy of what i have written about John on another website:

"The late great John Atyeo was a giant of a man in many ways .

He played football for England and also Bristol City ( scoring over 300 goals in 600+ games , never being booked nor sent off ).

He then studied mathematics before becoming a teacher , another area in which he absolutely excelled .

I will never forget spring 1988. I had spent weeks desperately trying to locate a ticket for the F.A. Cup Final. Two days before the game, a messenger came to my tutor room to inform me that Mr. Atyeo wanted to see me over a disciplinary matter. Shaken, I cautiously and apprehensively made my way to his room in the French Block. There I found not only Big John, but Mr. Blackwood and Mrs. Ealy : an intimidating menangerie if ever there was, and I was convinced that I was in bad bad doodoo.

John shook his head, muttered how disappointed he was in me and that I would have to be suspended from school. He claimed to be unable to even say the deed upon which I would fall, such was its dastardly nature. He produced an envelope from his breast pocket which, I was informed, contained written detail of my misdemeanour. I opened said missive feeling physically nauseous and began to read : " Challenge Cup Final Tie, May 1988, Wembley Stadium, Admit 1 ". It was a F.A. Cup Final ticket! The shock on my face was met with much mirth from the three senior mischief makers, but it got only better when John produced yet another envelope, containing another ticket, as he felt me too young to travel to Wembley on my own.

The best eulogy I can give to " Big John " is that he was one of the most pleasant people I have ever met .

I admired him in life , and miss him in death .

Rest in Peace John .

You'll Never Walk Alone ."

John Atyeo was more than a sporting legend to me he was a friend and a mentor, and I still miss him today. Rest assured that in every way your club's best ever player was totally deserving of the title "legend".

His wife Ruth died a few years ago of cancer. I still think it sad that even now they would of only been in their seventies, and regret I never had a chance to take John to the footy. Still every time I sing YNWA at Anfield I think of the big man.

I have of course kept some of things that John told me about footy, and BCFC to myself, but there is one thing I don't think he would mind me sharing with you. He was also of the commonly shared opinion that Roger Malone was infact, a complete and utter ######!

YNWA,

mooro

Thankyou very much mate. very good to read and some parts lifted hairs on my back. Being only 17 i wished I could see Atyeo, but I certainly do know his achievements and know why he is such a legend.

Its only reading things like this that can only give me a vague idea of what he was like as a player and a man and it really disappoints me that i could and would never get the chance to meet him.

Thankyou again for this piece i really enjoyed reading it. Good Luck next season lets hope liverpool reach their postential this season.

Thankyou :-)

Guest bristolbred

Written by Mooro, but i don't think that he'll mind me posting it on this thread, to make it easier for people to read about a great man!!. :blink:

Hi, I was asked by one of your members to come and post a little here about my friend, John Atyeo.

Although my family originate from Liverpool, like many scousers they moved south for work, specifically in my old mans case with the army, and we found ourselves settled in the town of Warminster, where "Big John" was a legend, and also a school teacher. He was never actually directly one of my teachers, but we bonded over our love of football. I always used to play footy with my family and friends outside his house, and inevitably John would come out and occassionally join in. I remember on one occassion playing two on two, and being about 50-10 up with first to 60, when John joined in with the opposition. Suffice to say we lost. He was amazing at football even with a gammy leg! Once in his garden, with his son in attendance, I went in goal, and he knocked me out with a volley that caught me square in the face. Most school days he would spy me walking to school and pick me up in his blue rover, and we'd talk footy on the way to school. On one occassion I asked him about his best ever goal: he said he hit a 40 yarder for City away to Villa in the Cup. He admitted it was a fluke:apparantly the ball bobbled just as he hit it, and it flew in like a volley. Even the Villa fans clapped.

Most weekends, as I was too young to travel to Anfield (I now watch the "reds" home and away), I would travel to football with John. We used to drive from Warminster to an isolated house near Bath, and pick up another guy who had been a director of STFC. Now I know you lot may not like this, but John was so footy mad, he would go to the football at Ashton or at Twerton, depending on who was home. I used to sit in the back of the car, earwigging these patriarchs of the sport wax in knowledgeble tones. They were great days: I was fifteen or so, and would drive into the players car park at Ashton Gate with John. The fans (you lot!) would bang on his window and then we would enter via the players entrance. I still remember the comissioner and his unifrom. John would have a quick word then out of nowhere a ticket would arrive, and I would have a very good seat around the directors box. One trip to Ashton Gate sticks out for me: you were playing Forest in the semis of the Littlewoods Cup. I hang around with John all day-I remember Bobby Gould coming up to him after the game saying "what a great cup tie and what a great left foot that Parker has". I also remember him bumping in to Cloughie himself,"you'd have scored five today if you's been out there John" was Cloughie's greeting before a warm embrace.

I went off to Medical School the year before Big John died. He was very proud of me I think. Just before the Easter he had a heart attack, and on my holiday home I went to see him, chatted footy for a few hours and said goodbye. My family called me in the middle of my end of year exams to tell me that John wanted to speak to me. I promised to call him as soon as my exams were over. The night before my last exam I was called again. I could tell in my Nan's voice something was wrong and she told me to sit down and then gave me the news: "Big John" had died that afternoon.

I was enormously touched at his funeral, as his family had placed me on the top tier, with the footballing mourners, and not with the others who had known John after his sporting career. The service was very moving and quite humourous, but I cracked up emotionally when his coffin was removed from the church, draped in a BCFC flag, and with "Red Red Robbin" playing solemnly, and low tempo on the church organ. Many of the other footy people around me did like wise. Outside the church one of my school teachers stopped me to tell me that I was the last person that John had spoken about at school, and that i had promised to call him, a promise that to this day I regret not keeping.

He played football for England and also Bristol City ( scoring over 300 goals in 600+ games , never being booked nor sent off ).

He then studied mathematics before becoming a teacher , another area in which he absolutely excelled .

I will never forget spring 1988. I had spent weeks desperately trying to locate a ticket for the F.A. Cup Final. Two days before the game, a messenger came to my tutor room to inform me that Mr. Atyeo wanted to see me over a disciplinary matter. Shaken, I cautiously and apprehensively made my way to his room in the French Block. There I found not only Big John, but Mr. Blackwood and Mrs. Ealy : an intimidating menangerie if ever there was, and I was convinced that I was in bad bad doodoo.

John shook his head, muttered how disappointed he was in me and that I would have to be suspended from school. He claimed to be unable to even say the deed upon which I would fall, such was its dastardly nature. He produced an envelope from his breast pocket which, I was informed, contained written detail of my misdemeanour. I opened said missive feeling physically nauseous and began to read : " Challenge Cup Final Tie, May 1988, Wembley Stadium, Admit 1 ". It was a F.A. Cup Final ticket! The shock on my face was met with much mirth from the three senior mischief makers, but it got only better when John produced yet another envelope, containing another ticket, as he felt me too young to travel to Wembley on my own.

The best eulogy I can give to " Big John " is that he was one of the most pleasant people I have ever met .

Rest in Peace John .

John Atyeo was more than a sporting legend to me he was a friend and a mentor, and I still miss him today. Rest assured that in every way your club's best ever player was totally deserving of the title "legend".

His wife Ruth died a few years ago of cancer. I still think it sad that even now they would of only been in their seventies, and regret I never had a chance to take John to the footy. Still every time I sing YNWA at Anfield I think of the big man.

I have of course kept some of things that John told me about footy, and BCFC to myself, but there is one thing I don't think he would mind me sharing with you. He was also of the commonly shared opinion that Roger Malone was infact, a complete and utter ######!

YNWA,

mooro

This originated from one of our members asking about Steve Gillespie on the Liverpool Forum.

It is a reply that I think should get wider reading about a true City legend,so no apologies for posting it again.

Now, forget people hitching lifts to games or wandering arounD in monkey suits.THIS IS WHAT FOOTBALLS ALL ABOUT

Although my family originate from Liverpool, like many scousers they moved south for work, specifically in my old mans case with the army, and we found ourselves settled in the town of Warminster, where "Big John" was a legend, and also a school teacher.

He was never actually directly one of my teachers, but we bonded over our love of football. I always used to play footy with my family and friends outside his house, and inevitably John would come out and occassionally join in.

I remember on one occassion playing two on two, and being about 50-10 up with first to 60, when John joined in with the opposition. Suffice to say we lost. He was amazing at football even with a gammy leg! Once in his garden, with his son in attendance, I went in goal, and he knocked me out with a volley that caught me square in the face.

Most school days he would spy me walking to school and pick me up in his blue rover, and we'd talk footy on the way to school. On one occassion I asked him about his best ever goal: he said he hit a 40 yarder for City away to Villa in the Cup. He admitted it was a fluke:apparantly the ball bobbled just as he hit it, and it flew in like a volley.

Even the Villa fans clapped.

Most weekends, as I was too young to travel to Anfield (I now watch the "reds" home and away), I would travel to football with John. We used to drive from Warminster to an isolated house near Bath, and pick up another guy who had been a director of STFC.

Now, I know you lot may not like this, but John was so footy mad, he would go to the football at Ashton or at Twerton, depending on who was home.

I used to sit in the back of the car, earwigging these patriarchs of the sport wax in knowledgeble tones. They were great days: I was fifteen or so, and would drive into the players car park at Ashton Gate with John. The fans (you lot!) would bang on his window and then we would enter via the players entrance. I still remember the comissioner and his unifrom.

John would have a quick word then out of nowhere a ticket would arrive, and I would have a very good seat around the directors box. One trip to Ashton Gate sticks out for me: you were playing Forest in the semis of the Littlewoods Cup. I hang around with John all day-I remember Bobby Gould coming up to him after the game saying "what a great cup tie and what a great left foot that Parker has". I also remember him bumping in to Cloughie himself,"you'd have scored five today if you's been out there John" was Cloughie's greeting before a warm embrace.

I was enormously touched at his funeral, as his family had placed me on the top tier, with the footballing mourners, and not with the others who had known John after his sporting career. The service was very moving and quite humourous, but I cracked up emotionally when his coffin was removed from the church, draped in a BCFC flag, and with "Red Red Robbin" playing solemnly, and low tempo on the church organ.

Many of the other footy people around me did like wise. Outside the church one of my school teachers stopped me to tell me that I was the last person that John had spoken about at school, and that i had promised to call him, a promise that to this day I regret not keeping.

John shook his head, muttered how disappointed he was in me and that I would have to be suspended from school. He claimed to be unable to even say the deed upon which I would fall, such was its dastardly nature.

He produced an envelope from his breast pocket which, I was informed, contained written detail of my misdemeanour. I opened said missive feeling physically nauseous and began to read : " Challenge Cup Final Tie, May 1988, Wembley Stadium, Admit 1 ".

It was a F.A. Cup Final ticket! The shock on my face was met with much mirth from the three senior mischief makers, but it got only better when John produced yet another envelope, containing another ticket, as he felt me too young to travel to Wembley on my own.

Rest in Peace John .

YNWA,

mooro

Guest XrAnGeX

Absolutely fantastic insight into the life of John Atyeo.

Being 17, I obviously missed the Atyeo years, however having heard many fans reminisce about the footballing legend, as well as having a stand named after him, I always wondered why he was thought of so exceptionally highly.

This post has summed it up so very well, top read.

John Atyeo, Legend, :blink:

Guest Rob_ctid

I dont post very often on the forum because i dont feel the need but on this occaision i feel i must!I want to thank morro and the city fans who instigated the post by morro all about John Atyeo!I'm only 19 so i unfortunately never saw atyeo and have only heard and read things about the legend he was!i learnt alot about him reading that post-it was brilliant and I'm sure 'big john' is proud of you mate!cheers again and good luck to liverpool!

CTID

Truly a Legend,and I am fortunate in having his retirement game programme:John Atyeo-King of goals and of course its signed .

I often reflect on his amazing loyalty to our club but feel sad that he did'nt grace the likes of :Highbury,White hart lane,Villa Pk. on a regular basis.Today it simply can not be repeated,to select a player from our division for England...impossible.

A great footballer,but more importantly A GREAT GENTLEMAN.

An absolute amazing story.

I never actually met John Ateyo but I did stand next to him listening to him talking football to other people with my Uncle looking on star struck.

I remember his death and how sad all the older generation were and I suppose at the time I did'nt appreciate that, but now I do.

Long live the memory of John Ateyo.

MM

How many of the current stars would risk playing in the streets with kids these days. I remember having Geoff Merrick and John Galley kicking around with us in Ashton Park as a boy and what a great feeling that was. Unfortunately the money in the game isolates many of todays players from the youngsters in a way that John Atyeo would have hated I think.

How many of the current stars would risk playing in the streets with kids these days. I remember having Geoff Merrick and John Galley kicking around with us in Ashton Park as a boy and what a great feeling that was. Unfortunately the money in the game isolates many of todays players from the youngsters in a way that John Atyeo would have hated I think.

I think a few of todays modern superstars would love to have a kick around in the park with young fans, but with so much media hype nowadays, many players cant do anything without being under the microscope which i feel is sadly wrong.

This post is moving, I myself would never have heard of " Big John " if it hadnt of been for a close friend signing for City, and also I wouldnt have had the experience of being on this forum etc. Since the summer last year, Bristol City have been taken to my heart, and will forever be there.

The post makes you sit up and take notice, I can only imagine how you true City fans feel reading such a post, making you proud a legend like John Atyeo will keep the good name of Bristol City in modern day football :blink:

Guest bristolbred

I,ve posted before, about leaving Bristol as a child, and living in Sunningdale, and going to the local Comprehensive, where during 4/5th year Physics, i was tought by a Mr Atyeo!!. Didn't think too much into it, as i was 14, 118 miles from Bristol, and in those days didn't go to too many games, unless City were playing in the London/Home counties area, until one day, my teacher said, "Mr Jones!", "I have a suprise for you next week!", "so no truenting from school!".

And so the following week, while doing a period of double physics, a giant of a man came into the class room, and said to me in a gentle voice, "You must be the young lad who originates from Avonmouth!", then said, "You and i have something in common!". Then told me who he was, and all about his City, England and Teaching days. I was awestruck, it turned out that my hippyish physics teacher was the nephew of our greatest ever player, and took the time and effort, to get the great man visit me at school, during a dark period of my life.

John Atyeo was a gentle giant of a man, and i am pleased to of had the opportunity to of met him off of the pitch.

If only players today could follow his example, where pride came before image and money.

:blink::blink:

The word 'legend' is often thrown around a bit too much nowadays.In this case though it is fitting.

Too true. From all accounts he was a true ambassador for bristol city, football and sport.

My girlfriend was also taught by him, when he was supply teaching. Even though she had no idea of his greatness she thought he was a nice bloke.

One of the best reads every on this forum.

Prehaps the city management should pass it onto the players to read, it might make some of them realise the depth of feeling true football fans have for the game and for the legend which was John Atyeo.

Personally, I think anybody seriously moved by this should get themselves on the Liverpool forum and thank "Mooro" for taking the time and effort.

Preferably encouraging him to come back occasionally with a few more little (non-personal) stories :blink:

I remember somone from the BCFC forum saying only last year about the fans clubing together and having a statue (sp) of the great man built in the grounds of AG.

After the reading this post i am now even more convinced and determind to get this done.

Guest oneforthe
I remember somone from the BCFC forum saying only last year about the fans clubing together and having a statue (sp) of the great man built in the grounds of AG.

After the reading this post i am now even more convinced and determind to get this done.

The best time to do this would be when they redevelope the Williams stand hopefully next year.

Archived