IGNORED

Laptop Advice.

Robbored

I want to but my son a laptop as cheap as possible. He'll need it simply for Internet access, a basic photo programme as a word processor - nothing else.

Its all a bit of a maze for me and I don't know one make or model from another so any tips or advice would be very helpful.

I want to but my son a laptop as cheap as possible. He'll need it simply for Internet access, a basic photo programme as a word processor - nothing else.

Its all a bit of a maze for me and I don't know one make or model from another so any tips or advice would be very helpful.

This one is great value and pretty high spec for the price. Bought one myself not long ago and very pleased with it.

Sounds like a Netbook running Linux would suit him fine - can get decent ones capable of running HD video (for youtube etc) for under £300.00, with battery life of 4-6hrs (perfect for moving around the house, taking away with you at night/car journeys/holidays).

Here is the best one - but also a review of the top 10 if you work your way through the pages. I prefer the netbook as it'slighter, easier to travel with, and does not try to pack lots of options therefore doing their core jobs really well ( most laptops have too many options, but all poorly implemented).

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/laptops/netbook-showdown-the-top-10-mini-laptops-rated-49297248/11/

This one is great value and pretty high spec for the price. Bought one myself not long ago and very pleased with it.

That is an exceptional spec for the price. It'll run all the office applications and last 3-5 years without grinding to a halt. I've not seen a better value for money deal.

You can go cheaper by getting a netbook which is basically smaller and less powerful - that will only really be good for browsing and will not last as well. It's a bit of a false economy IMO.

That is an exceptional spec for the price. It'll run all the office applications and last 3-5 years without grinding to a halt. I've not seen a better value for money deal.

You can go cheaper by getting a netbook which is basically smaller and less powerful - that will only really be good for browsing and will not last as well. It's a bit of a false economy IMO.

This one doesn't look too shabby, obviously less RAM & HDD Capacity but is this a better processor?

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/257135

This one doesn't look too shabby, obviously less RAM & HDD Capacity but is this a better processor?

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/257135

That's a better processor yes, it's dual core where the pentium is single (roughly the same clock speed).

Also a very good deal but the RAM swings it for me, considering the use it will be put to it will not be CPU challenged and having the memory so that nothing gets swapped to disk (which is terrible on a laptop disk) is a bigger benefit IMO.

Either would do the job though I'm sure.

Sounds like a Netbook running Linux would suit him fine - can get decent ones capable of running HD video (for youtube etc) for under £300.00, with battery life of 4-6hrs (perfect for moving around the house, taking away with you at night/car journeys/holidays).

Here is the best one - but also a review of the top 10 if you work your way through the pages. I prefer the netbook as it'slighter, easier to travel with, and does not try to pack lots of options therefore doing their core jobs really well ( most laptops have too many options, but all poorly implemented).

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/laptops/netbook-showdown-the-top-10-mini-laptops-rated-49297248/11/

Iv'e had a Samsung NC10 Netbook for a couple of years and it's been brilliant, incredible battery life and so light and easy to carry around, I use it loads more than my desktop now.

It does sound like Robbored's boy will be using it for photography though and the one downfall is the screen size which is fine for viewing OTIB but not so good for photos.

Looks like quite a deal. What is the monitor like? One thing many people forget is that you don't spend long looking at the CPU or hard disk but do tend to look at the monitor. It's one area worth upgrading on (e.g. trade off some of that frankly huge 640Gb disk for a better monitor).

The other area to consider is that you can never have enough memory (RAM). Mind you 6Gb is a good start!

Archived