IGNORED

The Ashes Thread

Dolman Block B

• Admin

Watch out for Jos Buttler now as well I would say as he has moved to Lancashire, could easily be in contention in the not so distant future for the keeper position.

Definately, the old boys club of who you play for getting you in the team will strike again!

Expect Nick Compton is sat watching this match unfold wondering what it. The ECB showed their colours when asking for Nick to go and score runs for Worcestershire against the Aussies last summer, promptly scored 100+ and was told that was not enough

Definately, the old boys club of who you play for getting you in the team will strike again!

Expect Nick Compton is sat watching this match unfold wondering what it. The ECB showed their colours when asking for Nick to go and score runs for Worcestershire against the Aussies last summer, promptly scored 100+ and was told that was not enough

Compton was another one that went into Snails mode though. Even though it's 5 days you still have to score at a decent rate especially the opening three batsmen. Hopefully Carberry can do this as we haven't had anyone since Trescothick that plays aggressive at the top of the order.

That's what you get now, getting the same as international football before where previous managers picked players from the reputation of their club rather than individual ability.

Any great cricketers now have to move to a fashionable club to be considered...

Apart from a century in the last ashes series, what runs has root scored. Think he averaged just over 30 in the summer with a 180 in there. Take that off he would be around the 12 to 13 mark, which is very poor.

Would rather him in the team than 'our' South Africans

Just think because he's young and plays for Yorkshire he gets in the team. Only 1 good score in 11 innings isn't good enough, Compton was dropped with a better average I think but doesn't play for a fashionable side.

Don't go along with that, playing for Somerset didn't seem to affect Tressies England career. Compo just got bogged down, deserved to be dropped.

Just think because he's young and plays for Yorkshire he gets in the team. Only 1 good score in 11 innings isn't good enough, Compton was dropped with a better average I think but doesn't play for a fashionable side.

I would agree with your reasoning about Compton not playing for a fashionable side.. The only criticism regarding Compton as stated earlier is he plays at a snails pace and takes him an age to settle at test level, unfortunately the modern day tests would require him to score a lot quicker than he does.

Which ones?

KP is half English, half South African. Prior is the same.

Trott is our only full South African

Pietersen is SA as far as I'm concerned, the accent slightly gives it away. Only moved here out of convenience due to disagreeing with quotas, apparently. Not sure about Prior, was he born in SA ?

Try being in OZ you *****.

Today was painful.

Only rain can save us - you all knew that, and it is annoyingly being blown south-east.

Talk about being the butt if all insults................

And seriously Carberry, take that stupid firkin helmet off, and never wear it again. Millions of people are taking the piss - "backward Cycling Helmet" being the most annoyingly common one :facepalm:

See they are as original as ever, the ingrates...

Just watched Trott's innings again. It is truly awful, he had no clue what to do against Johnson, and apparently since the last series he has been working on this? Well obviously not long enough based on this test.

Just watched Trott's innings again. It is truly awful, he had no clue what to do against Johnson, and apparently since the last series he has been working on this? Well obviously not long enough based on this test.

Never sure how you work on something like this, unless Johnson rocks up and launches a few thousand balls at you. It has always struck me as a bit pointless. How can you work on something against someone who isn't Johnson?

Our top order is in a complete flap. Our bowlers and Bell have been wining tests for a while. No batsmen has had to face top class fast, short pitched bowling for years. Johnson is doing it and doing it well. Worked hard on his action and so far it is paying off big.

Cook's captaincy is in the shadow of Clarke's.

Swann was getting smacked all ovwer the place from being too aggresive, Cook should've told him to try to keep it tight and stiffle them, just as they had Lyon do to us. Out thought and out preformed at the moment.

Good thing is it is a 5 match series and you don't loose it in the first test

• Admin

Good thing is it is a 5 match series and you don't loose it in the first test

All I can say is that recently we have been notoriously slow starters in series. Wasn't it last Winter that we were absolutely humiliated in the first test in India before going on to get our first series win there in years?

Can't say I am a big fan of a captain saying to a number eleven you are going to get your ******* arm broken. For me that is overstepping the mark.

Seeing them win a test against us just reminds me that we can't lose to them. All talk, talk and more talk and constant drivel of us being scared.

Their press are even worse! Some of the stuff they have been saying is laughable.

We have to win in Adelaide.

Archived