IGNORED

The Ashes Thread

Dolman Block B

But Glenn McGrath had the mental fortitude to continue picking up wickets, even if he didn't like the replies. Think back to the last tour down under. Mitch absolutely capitulated under the treatment dished to him by the Barmy Army. The clearest example of a team having the fans as their 12th man!

I remember in particular the fairly unimaginative but highly effective "He bowls to the left, he bowls to the right, that Mitchell Johnson, his bowling is shite!"

I'd love to see his first deliveries given the traditional goalkeeper treatment "wooooooooooooooh, you're shit, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" :D 

Poor Mitch.. ;)

McGrath was just a fierce competitor and a brilliant bowler, he is 10x the player Johnson is now. That's not to say though on his day Johnson can produce it but I hope the Barmy Army get in his head again, that song is class.

He didn't cheat because he wasn't given out by the umpire. Surely in order to cheat you have to break a rule or law? At best (worst?) he acted immorally, but I think it's a bit rich that a team who's last captain (Ponting) would regularly boast about never walking its a touch hypocritical

Exactly my point, he didn't have to walk if the umpire didn't raise the finger and he was perfectly in his right to stay at the crease unless told otherwise.. like any batsman.

He didn't cheat because he wasn't given out by the umpire. Surely in order to cheat you have to break a rule or law? At best (worst?) he acted immorally, but I think it's a bit rich that a team who's last captain (Ponting) would regularly boast about never walking its a touch hypocritical

Everyone in the ground knew he hit it apart from the umpire, he cheated full stop, period,end of, whatever !

• Admin

Definition of cheat  'act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage' hence Broad is a cheat.

Did the umpire ask him if he hit it so that he could act dishonestly?

It wasn't his decision to make.

A cheat is someone who breaks the rules.

Show me which rule (or law) Broad broke and I will agree he cheated.

Incidentally when Australian batsmen were "guilty" of not walking in the second test against India in 2008 did the Indians accuse them of cheating? Nope.

• Admin

Everyone in the ground knew he hit it apart from the umpire, he cheated full stop, period,end of, whatever !

Not walking is not cheating. Claiming a catch you know you have not caught cleanly is; the same goes for claiming a bat-pad catch when you know it was nowhere near the edge. The difference is that in one you are leaving the umpire to make his decision, in the other you are openly trying to deceive him.

(This was a quote from the editor of cricinfo, discussing the issue of Australian batsmen not walking against India, 5 years before Broad did the same against the Aussies)

Did the umpire ask him if he hit it so that he could act dishonestly?

It wasn't his decision to make.

A cheat is someone who breaks the rules.

Show me which rule (or law) Broad broke and I will agree he cheated.

Incidentally when Australian batsmen were "guilty" of not walking in the second test against India in 2008 did the Indians accuse them of cheating? Nope.

I suppose you could argue that it wasn't played in the spirit of the game but its like you said earlier.. In football if the ball crosses the line and the officials have missed it then its highly doubtful the opposition will point out it did cross the line.

By the way the e in bold there? Was that for my benefit fella as I made a couple of faux pas without realising first haha ;)

Not walking is not cheating. Claiming a catch you know you have not caught cleanly is; the same goes for claiming a bat-pad catch when you know it was nowhere near the edge. The difference is that in one you are leaving the umpire to make his decision, in the other you are openly trying to deceive him.

(This was a quote from the editor of cricinfo, discussing the issue of Australian batsmen not walking against India, 5 years before Broad did the same against the Aussies)

Which an Australian player did in the last series down under. Beefy was not pleased.

• Admin

I suppose you could argue that it wasn't played in the spirit of the game but its like you said earlier.. In football if the ball crosses the line and the officials have missed it then its highly doubtful the opposition will point out it did cross the line.

By the way the e in bold there? Was that for my benefit fella as I made a couple of faux pas without realising first haha ;)

It was a dig that in the above example against India it was Australian batsmen, plural, that failed to walk. So not at you :)

Cook and Trott early not ideal in the slightest! Carberry looks to be doing the job atm though doing what needs to be done, hoping KP gets a ton, would be fitting and would really stick it to the Aussies considering him and Broad were the two they were really targeting.

Didn't Cook have a bad first innings last series in Aus then went on to do wonders?

We've scored 400+ just eight times in our last 48 innings. Has to be a serious worry if it happens in next innings too.

Worried about Trott who seems to have no confidence and real struggle against short ball.

Carberry played well but looked scared when Johnson changed to around the wicket.

Prior should not be immune from being dropped. Not scored a run for a long time.

A wise old man told me a year ago that this is the most arrogant, cocky and complacent England side in years and from what I've seen in the past year I can't disagree too much. I thought 3-0 flattered us in the summer against a god awful Aussie side.

Swann tweeting pics from the dressing room yesterday of him and Michael McIntyre in the middle of a 5 day test v the Aussies?? Don't get it.

Well that was.... awful.

The sad thing was the bowling was pretty ordinary as well.

Anderson looked well pissed off. Understandable as the bowlers busted a gut to put England in a great position only for the Batsmen to fail again.

Anderson looked well pissed off. Understandable as the bowlers busted a gut to put England in a great position only for the Batsmen to fail again.

That's the problem with Englands batting especially the top order, they are ultra negative and get themselves into the mire.. I know its test but you should be looking at a run rate of 3.30 these days not 2 or less at times especially against ordinary bowling. At least Carberry showed aggression to begin with though.

That's the problem with Englands batting especially the top order, they are ultra negative and get themselves into the mire.. I know its test but you should be looking at a run rate of 3.30 these days not 2 or less at times especially against ordinary bowling. At least Carberry showed aggression to begin with though.

Said that in the last series that Cook Root and Trott were in such a negative mindset that it just brings problems. Carberry did well consdiering it's his first innings. The most disturbing was us making Nathan Lyon look like Warne and he bowled 9 overs for 17 runs with 2 wickets.

Said that in the last series that Cook Root and Trott were in such a negative mindset that it just brings problems. Carberry did well consdiering it's his first innings. The most disturbing was us making Nathan Lyon look like Warne and he bowled 9 overs for 17 runs with 2 wickets.

Absoutely, puts pressure on Bell and Pietersen to quicken it up and then the lower order get wild... shouldn't be like that. Cook and Trott are fully capable of scoring runs quicker than they do.

It all went quiet over here :(

Hopefully the weather gods will quieten the natives down and it will dull out into a draw :fingerscrossed:

• Admin

Absoutely, puts pressure on Bell and Pietersen to quicken it up and then the lower order get wild... shouldn't be like that. Cook and Trott are fully capable of scoring runs quicker than they do.

Hopefully the weather gods will quieten the natives down and it will dull out into a draw :fingerscrossed:

Is settle for Cook & Trott scoring any kind of runs at the moment regardless of the pace they are scored at.

Also, does Bairstow deserve a chance to show what he can do with the gloves next match? The experts claim he's not a good enough keeper to oust Prior but I remember a similar allegation being cast at Geraint Jones last decade and his runs (& partnerships with Freddie) were instrumental in us winning back the Ashes in the first place whilst his lack of keeping expertise didn't exactly hamper us.

Is settle for Cook & Trott scoring any kind of runs at the moment regardless of the pace they are scored at.

Also, does Bairstow deserve a chance to show what he can do with the gloves next match? The experts claim he's not a good enough keeper to oust Prior but I remember a similar allegation being cast at Geraint Jones last decade and his runs (& partnerships with Freddie) were instrumental in us winning back the Ashes in the first place whilst his lack of keeping expertise didn't exactly hamper us.

I would agree with you on the 'keeper situation, I would like to see him given the chance with the gloves to and would add another dynamic to the batting, Prior is a great wicketkeeper but as a batsman he is unpredictable and think Bairstow would add steel down the order and form good partnerships with Root and Broad.. also he would help the tail along. A very good batsman at county level and while its a step up to international level he needs to be given the opportunity for the long term future.

Watch out for Jos Buttler now as well I would say as he has moved to Lancashire, could easily be in contention in the not so distant future for the keeper position.

Archived