IGNORED

Drunk Fans

phantom

• Admin

Something I had never seen before occurred at the ground today.

Was queuing with some friends to get into the dolman stand, when a steward approached a group of us and asked if we had been drinking.

We replied that we had had four pints each (bear in mind our ages range from 39 to 60) one of our group was asked to step to the side to prove he wasn't drunk.

The silly part, the steward called another person to stand and watch, my friend the was asked to walk twenty paces away from them in a straight line, which he did.

Then turn around and walk back to them, again which he did.

He was told he was OK to go into the ground.

I'm curious if any of our stewards are trained or taught what signs to look out for. Also curious if anyone had seen this before?

If we had been rowdy or staggering etc I could have understood this, but thought it very odd.

No idea what this was about. If you enter the ground in a positive way everyone should be happy.

For the Sheffiled U game we wen't to Orchard Inn for a couple of pints and then wen't on to Cottage Inn when quite a few policemen entered the pub checking the toilets and then looking as embarrased as us. 20 foreigners 30-56 years old obviously triggered someone.

I must admit I don't like the sound of this. Fair enough if like you said the stewards were picking out people for being rowdy,causing trouble or likely to fall or something, but picking out random people to walk up and down in front of everyone is going too far in my opinion.

Maybe it will be something they are looking to clamp down on in the future and you were perhaps being used as a safe group to test reaction?

Remember thee stewards are there to protect everyone, pointless having a go at them for looking after that brief. Can't see why anyone should object, after all no harm done and the chap was returned to his group.

However how the hell you cope with 4 pints swilling around your bladder at a football match I don't know.

No harm done? Apart from public humiliation, that would be?

And you are aware that there are toilets at the ground? Just asking, like.

This is a classic example of the creeping "guilty until proved innocent" disease that is infecting our society.

However rude and offensive an official in a high-vis jacket is, don't raise your voice or swear, or you'll be in court before you can say "Jobsworth".

If you want to watch a football match, you must give your personal details to another Jobsworth, while 500 people queue behind you to do the same.

If you're under 25, you have to carry ID if you want a drink. Can you think of a better way of softening people up for universal ID cards? How long before you have to present ID to get into the football.

This is a classic example of the creeping "guilty until proved innocent" disease that is infecting our society.

However rude and offensive an official in a high-vis jacket is, don't raise your voice or swear, or you'll be in court before you can say "Jobsworth".

If you want to watch a football match, you must give your personal details to another Jobsworth, while 500 people queue behind you to do the same.

If you're under 25, you have to carry ID if you want a drink. Can you think of a better way of softening people up for universal ID cards? How long before you have to present ID to get into the football.

Thatcher tried to introduce the football ID thing back in the 80s.

How do you know it's random? Obviously being drunk at a football ground can have it's own problems, I suspect the stewards would only test someone who is demonstrating being drunk, not really a bad thing don't you agree?

I'm just replying to the information in Phantom's post. He seemed surprised one of his group was singled out as they weren't giving signs of being D&D. Yes I understand for safety etc.

Every week I have the same conversation with the stewards, over 90% of the time it's the same steward or one I have seen before. I open my bag before I'm asked too. I'm asked if I have bottles or cans, I reply no but have a metal flask, they say ok and I am allowed in. Every flipping week! I have been going into the same entrance, if for years I haven't smuggled in a can I'm not about to now. But yes we go through the same thing every time, and yes I do understand why even though I'm not searched at 99% of other places I go.

Over Xmas there was a lady steward that I hadn't seen before. She looked in my bag and had the same conversation, I went to walk on through as usual when she grabbed at my coat pocket 'what about in here' she asked I said no, no cans, then she grabbed the other coat pocket. She made me jump a bit as it was so unexpected and I did take a step away, infact I continued and entered the turnstile. If she wants to check my pockets she should ask not just lunge at me. If I see her again she will be told so.

I'm just replying to the information in Phantom's post. He seemed surprised one of his group was singled out as they weren't giving signs of being D&D. Yes I understand for safety etc.

Every week I have the same conversation with the stewards, over 90% of the time it's the same steward or one I have seen before. I open my bag before I'm asked too. I'm asked if I have bottles or cans, I reply no but have a metal flask, they say ok and I am allowed in. Every flipping week! I have been going into the same entrance, if for years I haven't smuggled in a can I'm not about to now. But yes we go through the same thing every time, and yes I do understand why even though I'm not searched at 99% of other places I go.

Over Xmas there was a lady steward that I hadn't seen before. She looked in my bag and had the same conversation, I went to walk on through as usual when she grabbed at my coat pocket 'what about in here' she asked I said no, no cans, then she grabbed the other coat pocket. She made me jump a bit as it was so unexpected and I did take a step away, infact I continued and entered the turnstile. If she wants to check my pockets she should ask not just lunge at me. If I see her again she will be told so.

I hope you didn't jump in a threatening manner :o

Do they check the contents of the flask? It seems a bit odd that they accept that it's not laced with vodka ;)

Something I had never seen before occurred at the ground today.

Was queuing with some friends to get into the dolman stand, when a steward approached a group of us and asked if we had been drinking.

We replied that we had had four pints each (bear in mind our ages range from 39 to 60) one of our group was asked to step to the side to prove he wasn't drunk.

The silly part, the steward called another person to stand and watch, my friend the was asked to walk twenty paces away from them in a straight line, which he did.

Then turn around and walk back to them, again which he did.

He was told he was OK to go into the ground.

I'm curious if any of our stewards are trained or taught what signs to look out for. Also curious if anyone had seen this before?

If we had been rowdy or staggering etc I could have understood this, but thought it very odd.

That's ominous! Were any of your group honestly showing any signs of being drunk? Four pints over three hours is no big deal but four pints in 30 Minutes would leave my cider hardened 6'2" stature slightly addled. Not sure it would be obvious from the eye of an observer.

I really don't like the sound of this. For many, including myself, 2 or 3 pints is part of a match day ritual.

What next, rubber gloves and rectal examinations!?

That's ominous! Were any of your group honestly showing any signs of being drunk? Four pints over three hours is no big deal but four pints in 30 Minutes would leave my cider hardened 6'2" stature slightly addled. Not sure it would be obvious from the eye of an observer.

I really don't like the sound of this. For many, including myself, 2 or 3 pints is part of a match day ritual.

What next, rubber gloves and rectal examinations!?

I'd pity the Eastend if they adopted the rectal examination, after the upset when tickets were being checked twice imagine the fall out (heh) if they were subjected to a double anal probe and the next parliament meeting was months away.

Substandard drumming would be the least of their worries then.

Selling beer to people , then chastising them for drinking ! Incitement , hypocritical and bloody wrong.

If this starts to be a regular thing god help attendances !

I apologise to those who think a pre match tipple should end at half a shandy, but I've had a drink !

Archived