IGNORED

Drunk Fans

phantom

• Admin

That's ominous! Were any of your group honestly showing any signs of being drunk? Four pints over three hours is no big deal but four pints in 30 Minutes would leave my cider hardened 6'2" stature slightly addled. Not sure it would be obvious from the eye of an observer.

I really don't like the sound of this. For many, including myself, 2 or 3 pints is part of a match day ritual.

What next, rubber gloves and rectal examinations!?

Hand on heart I would say that there was nothing wrong with the way we appeared.

Was talking to my wife about this and she pointed something out I missed. The guy that was pulled aside has a metal plate in his ankle and walks with a slight limp. Maybe he appeared uneasy on his feet lol?

People are correct in saying no real harm done, but did feel sorry for my mate being expected to do this whilst others were about.

Am still curious how a decision could be made to imply someone had drank too much

Hand on heart I would say that there was nothing wrong with the way we appeared.

Was talking to my wife about this and she pointed something out I missed. The guy that was pulled aside has a metal plate in his ankle and walks with a slight limp. Maybe he appeared uneasy on his feet :laugh:?

People are correct in saying no real harm done, but did feel sorry for my mate being expected to do this whilst others were about.

Am still curious how a decision could be made to imply someone had drank too much

Off the top of my head, I would say he had a case under the Disability Discrimination Act. My wife has an artificial hip and a metal plate in her ankle. Does that mean she's permanently drunk?

Should have carried on walking

**** bcfc

Exactly. Should have buggered off to the pub. And left the attendance even worse than it was. ****em they want to kill off traditional supporters and fill the ground full of families, well fsir enough do that. But expect to lose your most loyal support.

Big difference someone too pissed to get in to them trying to prove someone has too much by walking in a straight line. If they can't see that when they walk up, what bloody hope is there! Well done bcfc, we have found something you are brilliant at.. alienating the fans. Proper job.

what about other sports where drinking is actively encouraged ? I've been to many cricket - rugby - football events in which I have imbibed copiously over 10 to 12 hours our more . I feel I myself am the best judge of my condition . who the hell empowered some of these fools in high vis to act judge and jury ?

Careful with that insulting language, mate. We can call up coppers on these walkie-talkies...

I've supported the club since my first game as a young kid in the early seventies. I virtually always in the last 10 years have a drink before a match and as with Phantom and friends I cause no problems. Actually quite the reverse because I often drink at the ground and help to support the club. I can honestly say that if I ever get asked to walk in a straight line because I may be perceived as being drunk then it will be the last time I ever attend AG.

Do I recall reading we had a new safety and security manager recently appointed at AG? Perhaps he needs to be called to task.

Phantom, I really think you need take this up with the club as it's really out of order.

I wonder what will happen when Bristol Rugby start playing at Ashton Gate. Then it will be drinking before, during and after the match. How many rugby fans are the stewards going to throw out for being drunk? If they applied the criteria fairly to all attending, there would be nobody left in the ground by the end if the match.

I've supported the club since my first game as a young kid in the early seventies. I virtually always in the last 10 years have a drink before a match and as with Phantom and friends I cause no problems. Actually quite the reverse because I often drink at the ground and help to support the club. I can honestly say that if I ever get asked to walk in a straight line because I may be perceived as being drunk then it will be the last time I ever attend AG.

Do I recall reading we had a new safety and security manager recently appointed at AG? Perhaps he needs to be called to task.

Phantom, I really think you need take this up with the club as it's really out of order.

Got a mate who has loved the city since the late sixties , he also loves a drink , he had a st in the ee until this season . certain stewards noticed his love of natch . they stopped him at the turnstiles every game . sometimes he got in , sometimes not . well, he got fed up of this and gave up. Let me tell you this, he has been everywhere with the city over the years, been beaten , lost jobs , backed his club through thick and thin , city is his life, the bloke is no problem at all, he is a really funny old school character, and those who stood with him really miss him .well done stewards bless you .

Remember thee stewards are there to protect everyone, pointless having a go at them for looking after that brief. Can't see why anyone should object, after all no harm done and the chap was returned to his group.

However how the hell you cope with 4 pints swilling around your bladder at a football match I don't know.

I am not sure if your irony is lost on me or you are on day release from a monastery.

I am not sure if your irony is lost on me or you are on day release from a monastery.

He is the type of fan this club is now looking to entice. Fair enough. I just hope there are loads more like him to keep the club running.

Now I normally drink after the game, as once the seal is broken I'd miss half the game. But if this becomes the norm, a lot of fans will stop going.

Got a mate who has loved the city since the late sixties , he also loves a drink , he had a st in the ee until this season . certain stewards noticed his love of natch . they stopped him at the turnstiles every game . sometimes he got in , sometimes not . well, he got fed up of this and gave up. Let me tell you this, he has been everywhere with the city over the years, been beaten , lost jobs , backed his club through thick and thin , city is his life, the bloke is no problem at all, he is a really funny old school character, and those who stood with him really miss him .well done stewards bless you .

That's just wrong...

I've never not drunk with my mates and watched the City, (when I was old enough) Perhaps airport security's in order? it's just another attempt to sanitise football..

What a load of tosh.

If somebody is being disorderly, chuck them out for sure, drunk or not.

It is not to the best of my knowledge in any shape or form however an offense to drink before a match. How on earth does being able to walk 20 steps allow a judgement to be made on if somebody is going to be disorderly?

As has been said, is corporate hospitality or even the Dolman bar limited to 2 units each?

There are signs of some shafts of light beginning to break through the fog at the club over the last few weeks. A big next step would be for the club to be seen to be embracing fans as valued customers, rather than a necessary pain ain the arse they need to put up with.

This.

...bloody ironic too, when you think one or two of our 'pro's' in recent times would struggle to chalk up twenty paces (straight line or not) in an entire 90 mins on the pitch!

(difference being they were taking the pi$$ out of everyone, club & fan alike, while getting paid handsomely, rather than being on the pi$$ and paying shitloads for it like the supporters who also payed the wages of said wasters)

Priorities City, priorities! ... ;)

I do not think this was some maverick in his hi vis; at half time I witnessed some chap getting told he was not allowed to buy a beer as he was inebriated. Now I am not sure what happened before, but his well reasoned and very honest discussion told me that he was far from intoxicated. The outcome, a hi vis supervisor getting on his walkie talkie, and 7/8 stewards arriving to help this clearly (non) bumbling drunken fool. What utter nonsense.

Genuine question,have stewards got any powers legally at all,inside or outside AG ?

Surely they are basically normal members of the public with hi viz vests on.

There is a question I would like to know too. Do they have any legal authority to do this? If they do, I would like to see some legal document to prove it. If they don't, then I would like to see these stewards stopped from doing this. I always thought only the police officers had the legal power to do this.

Next thing they would be coming out with is breathalysers.

There is a question I would like to know too. Do they have any legal authority to do this? If they do, I would like to see some legal document to prove it. If they don't, then I would like to see these stewards stopped from doing this. I always thought only the police officers had the legal power to do this.

Next thing they would be coming out with is breathalysers.

They will, trust me. What baffles me is that people here defend them.

What a load of tosh.

If somebody is being disorderly, chuck them out for sure, drunk or not.

It is not to the best of my knowledge in any shape or form however an offense to drink before a match. How on earth does being able to walk 20 steps allow a judgement to be made on if somebody is going to be disorderly?

As has been said, is corporate hospitality or even the Dolman bar limited to 2 units each?

There are signs of some shafts of light beginning to break through the fog at the club over the last few weeks. A big next step would be for the club to be seen to be embracing fans as valued customers, rather than a necessary pain ain the arse they need to put up with.

That, sir, sums it up perfectly.

Archived