IGNORED

"i'm A Winner."

Rule The Waves

You're absolutely right Noggers, I don't like him.  Have I made that too obvious. ;)

However, you're wrong with your 3rd sentence, I am justifiably criticising his words, as he takes no responsibility when the team loses, but praises himself to the hilt when they win.  I don't like that trait in people.

Wise words from Nogbad - why do some people never stop criticising SC every word.

Wise words from Nogbad - why do some people never stop criticising SC every word.

Why did large amounts of people find it necessary to criticise every word of Sod's?

Oh I get it - its ok to criticise a dour, sniffing Midlander, but we can't speak out against an arrogant Westcountryman.

That's football bud.  Manager interviews are the only thing which allows us to make an informed decision as to their personality.  From what I've seen, I don't like his.

You're absolutely right Noggers, I don't like him.  Have I made that too obvious. ;)

However, you're wrong with your 3rd sentence, I am justifiably criticising his words, as he takes no responsibility when the team loses, but praises himself to the hilt when they win.  I don't like that trait in people.

So you're criticising him for what he didn't say?

I don't see Cotterill as being unique in that respect - I can't remember overt self criticism being evident in post match interviews from any managers.

When he says the performance was abysmal, and goes on to say there are no excuses, that's probably about the best you're going to get anywhere.

What exactly can the manager do, or say, when he feels he has prepared the team assiduously for a match but they simply don't perform on the day?

Being brutally honest about the performance and sympathising with the fans' disappointment and anger seems exactly the right reaction to me.

So you're criticising him for what he didn't say?

I don't see Cotterill as being unique in that respect - I can't remember overt self criticism being evident in post match interviews from any managers.

When he says the performance was abysmal, and goes on to say there are no excuses, that's probably about the best you're going to get anywhere.

What exactly can the manager do, or say, when he feels he has prepared the team assiduously for a match but they simply don't perform on the day?

Being brutally honest about the performance and sympathising with the fans' disappointment and anger seems exactly the right reaction to me.

Yep - this is exactly the words he will use to get the fans 'onside'.

I see through this, it's false, but it will certainly afford him more time with a lot of fans because he's planted the seeds and they think he really cares about them.  The only 'long term strategy' in his locker.  Tell the fans how proud you are of them and they'll give you a few more games before calling you a useless ____!

Yep - this is exactly the words he will use to get the fans 'onside'.

I see through this, it's false, but it will certainly afford him more time with a lot of fans because he's planted the seeds and they think he really cares about them.  The only 'long term strategy' in his locker.  Tell the fans how proud you are of them and they'll give you a few more games before calling you a useless ____!

Just goes to show how you can twist everything if you've a mind to.

Of course a manager should want to form a rapport with the fans - the last one notably had no interest in it - it's good for the club and doesn't follow he's being dishonest, or his words are hollow. You'd surely berate him if he didn't mention the loyal travelling fans or didn't give an honest appraisal of a terrible performance. Yet according to you praising the travelling supporters and saying they were let down is a stick to beat him with?

He's clearly in a no win situation with you whatever he says.

My position on Cotterill remains the same. I neither particularly like, or dislike him, and will reserve judgement until the end of the season, when my expectations are he'll have retained City's status.

Meanwhile I'm quite happy with the way he puts over his views, and content to take his forthright interviews at face value.

Noggers - the one thing I agreed with him on was the interview immediately after his first game v Tamworth.  He said that Marv was put into a deeper role because everyone knows he hasn't got the legs to be a box to box midfielder any more.  The very next game (and in all subsequent games) he lets Marv do his box to box, every blade of grass performances.  Ummmm, but, but Steve....you told us quite clearly and categorically he couldn't do that any more?!

In short, the selection of Marv in that position v Tamworth was his easy option to drop Pack, whom he'd not rated when previously managing him, so he didn't even want to look at him.  Pack clearly made him think differently in training and forced his place back.

Bit like Sean in that respect then Harry. Can't remember him coming out and saying he'd mucked up after his many losses. However I can recall him using the wind as an excuse on one occasion.

Tbh anyone's a mug who reads too much into these post match interviews. Before managers have time to get their heads together and really analyse the game, they have a mic pushed in their face and told to fill 5 minutes of airtime.

I thought that during the scathing examinations on here of O'Driscoll's interviews too.

Have you made a post in the last 3 months that doesn't bring up O'Driscoll?

Just goes to show how you can twist everything if you've a mind to.

Of course a manager should want to form a rapport with the fans - the last one notably had no interest in it

I think you're confusing a lack of comfort in front of the press with forming a rapport with fans. Sean made it clear that he believed fervently that the club had to engage with the community and with its fans. And he tried to live that too: he was much more engaging when he was at a fans event, or a community event. Even his programme notes were an attempt to do that, and to spend some time trying to explain what he and (he thought) the club were doing to move forward. Personally I found that far more engaging than a few lines of 'we were unlucky last week' and 'get behind us , your support is vital'.

He may not have gone about it the way you'd have liked, you may not have felt he'd been successful, but please don't say that he had no interest in it.

Have you made a post in the last 3 months that doesn't bring up O'Driscoll?

Yes loads but have you made a post that has not been negative ever?

I was merely responding to other assertions made on this thread - assertions that loads of supporters don't agree with. As I've said repeatedly the SOD v SC debate is tired and boring.

What matters is where we go from here. Do you have any thoughts on that?

Without reading the whole 3 pages; to be fair to cotteril his interview is spot on, hes as pissed off as the rest of us and im sure he let the players know what he thinks. Just to put into perspective, a win next week we will most likely be back out of the R Zone and he will have won a third of his league games with us.

Hear it here, just as the video closes...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XNjs4dH5e2g

What Steve Cotterill means is that he is a winner but he's having to manage and coach a team of losers. The BCFC team were a team of losers last season and they're a team of losers this season. No point blaming the current BCFC manager.

What Steve Cotterill means is that he is a winner but he's having to manage and coach a team of losers. The BCFC team were a team of losers last season and they're a team of losers this season. No point blaming the current BCFC manager.

There comes a point though, where the manager has to start doing something about that and I just don't think he is.  Obviously it's not SC's fault we're in the position we are but I'm increasingly convinced he's not the man who's going to save us from it.  When he was appointed, I genuinely wanted to give him a chance but bizarre team selections, players being dropped for no particular reason, perseverance with formations that don't work  and a general lack of ideas are extremely concerning.  I'm not normally the first in the 'sack the manager' queue - I was all in favour of giving Johnson, Millen, McInnes and O'Driscoll time to prove themselves (in some cases perhaps wrongly) butI honestly think that the sooner this arrogant, clueless no-mark gets out of our club, the better it'll be all round.

Come on H, don't turn into one of those posters who makes stuff up based on your dislike of the manager. There's enough of those on here already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O83-WvtLw8&list=UUq_5VYwAoOvaL4lyGkwoboQ&feature=c4-overview

Please quote me where in this thread I have said any manager is better than another?

I'll be waiting.

Simply pointing out that a win ratio is meaningless unless it takes into account the quality of the opposition. You quoted Cotterill's ratio as if it meant something on its own.

Simply pointing out that a win ratio is meaningless unless it takes into account the quality of the opposition. You quoted Cotterill's ratio as if it meant something on its own.

It does because he wins more than he loses. In most lines of business that's puts you in an up position rather than a loss one...

There comes a point though, where the manager has to start doing something about that and I just don't think he is.  Obviously it's not SC's fault we're in the position we are but I'm increasingly convinced he's not the man who's going to save us from it.  When he was appointed, I genuinely wanted to give him a chance but bizarre team selections, players being dropped for no particular reason, perseverance with formations that don't work  and a general lack of ideas are extremely concerning.  I'm not normally the first in the 'sack the manager' queue - I was all in favour of giving Johnson, Millen, McInnes and O'Driscoll time to prove themselves (in some cases perhaps wrongly) butI honestly think that the sooner this arrogant, clueless no-mark gets out of our club, the better it'll be all round.

Managerial legends Brian Clough and Peter Taylor managed Hartlepool for a while, they got Hartlepool up the Div 4 table but there's only so much you can do with crap players so they moved on to better clubs with more potential.

Let's face facts, Jose Mourinho himself couldn't get much more out of our current squad. I also couldn't see Jose Mourinho prepared to work with a $billionaire BCFC ownership that's not prepared to spend big. ;)

Needless to say:

We want Mourinho

We want Mourinho

We want Mourinho

We want Mourinho :clapping:

Yes loads but have you made a post that has not been negative ever?

I was merely responding to other assertions made on this thread - assertions that loads of supporters don't agree with. As I've said repeatedly the SOD v SC debate is tired and boring.

What matters is where we go from here. Do you have any thoughts on that?

Other than my thread about Jay?

I have plenty of thoughts about where we go. This season is a write-off now... I don't think I'd keep Cotterill next season regardless of our league status, his signings have been poor, his coaching appears to be failing based on the evidence of our worsening performances and shambolic defending and I genuinely don't see him taking us up next season, which has to be the aim.

I'd invest in a proven coach. Someone who has a track record of improving players. I'd set out a long term plan that I would stick to no matter what pain it causes in the short term, I'd actually utilise the scouting networks available and bring in as many cheap lower league players as I could and get them coached to a high level.

In terms of keeping us up this season?

I'd like to see us get our best players playing with freedom to express themselves. I'd let our younger players play as much as possible because their attitudes have put many of the experienced players in our squad's to shame. Louis would be in the side ahead of Flint and El Abd but behind Williams and Osbourne.

Those are things id like to see, past that all I know is what's going on now is unacceptable and the new manager has not improved us at all, results or performances.

Not sure I agree with this Aizoon. It's all relative. If you're playing higher quality opposition in a higher league then you should be playing them with a higher quality squad of your own.

Archived