IGNORED

The Most Overrated Footballer Of All Time

Malago

He alongside Lampard was one f the hardest practicing players England have ever had

Also,immensely proud to play for his country and his speech when he stepped down as England skipper one of the best I've ever heard

Never ducked matches or squads because of a 'niggle' , happy to travel half way across the world to sit on the bench for England, despite what he'd done in his career

Him and his missus also do loads of unpublicised charity work

Doesn't stop him being overrated but I have Total respect and admiration for the bloke

Whatever anyone's opinion of just how good he was. -the title of he thread has to be probably the most ridiculous claim I've heard on here - and with 'Miss Robored the obsessive' that takes some doing !

Unfortunately jealousy is a terrible thing and produces jars of bitterness

For the record I'm not the least bit jealous of Beckham. I wouldn't swap my world for his for all the tea in China.

What a stupid thread.

No one has ever claimed him to be the best in the world so not sure how he can be deemed over-rated.

Becks is an absolute model pro and should be an inspiration to anyone. He made his mistake in 98 but boy look at his reaction!

He's also a thoroughly decent guy who will stop and talk to anyone. He comes across as completely down to earth and genuine.

As others said, you could never question his commitment either. The passion and effort he showed whilst wearing the 3 lions makes him a hero. At least he can say he gave it his all.

There was outcry at real madrid when he was dropped after announcing that he was leaving for LA. Anyone who thinks he was only in the team for his looks (despite this being the reason they signed him) is naive. He played a huge part in them winning the league that year.

We all bang on about how English players lack the same technical ability as foreign players and that our players lose the ball too easily yet Beckham who was easily one of our best players at keeping the ball and creating chances is overated because he can't beat a man or head the ball?

look him up on YouTube and re watch his goals and free kicks (hell there is one video where he plays probably the best cross you will ever see to set Ronaldo up for Madrid). The guy gets grief as he is famous for other things but he was also a very very good footballer.

He was a good player, but not even the best of that United generation.  He's always been a media darling and that cannot be overlooked with his various transfers and associated shirt etc sales.  

The most over-rated - not sure.   The most over-exposed - without question.  

I honestly couldn't give a toss about his birthday and really can't understand the attention.  The further his footballing career recedes into the background the more I struggle to understand his relevance.  

Beckham goes down as a great player in my eyes, though will happily acknowledge that peoples opinions will vary. He is one of the few english players who was a good enough footballer to play in the best teams in the world. Much better than lampard and gerrard.

He was a good player, but not even the best of that United generation.  He's always been a media darling and that cannot be overlooked with his various transfers and associated shirt etc sales.  

The most over-rated - not sure.   The most over-exposed - without question.  

I honestly couldn't give a toss about his birthday and really can't understand the attention.  The further his footballing career recedes into the background the more I struggle to understand his relevance.

Thank you. This is exactly what I have trying, but failing to say.

Beckham At his prime was one of the best crossers I have ever seen, that's not to even his free kicks. In what way was he overrated?

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/03/20/article-2117577-001FB93B00000258-866_634x803.jpg

Oops, sorry read that as cross dresser, of course you mean crosser of footballs - and you are absolutely correct...... Great footballer, Great Englishman, -he's English sports male version of the Royals Princess Di... transcending class barriers and continental borders.

His on field talents and professionalism were never really in doubt except for that notorious England sending off - most over-villified footballer if all time certainly for a period of time! (he did look a bit silly in that sarong though)

Beckham goes down as a great player in my eyes, though will happily acknowledge that peoples opinions will vary. He is one of the few english players who was a good enough footballer to play in the best teams in the world. Much better than lampard and gerrard.

Both Gerrard and Lampard would have easily got into any top club. Gerrard wasn't interested in leaving Liverpool and Lampard moved from Chelsea to America and then joined Man City on loan. Lampard was a superb player who would have been coveted by all the top European clubs had he wanted to leave Chelsea.

They were both top players.

Would he feature in United's greatest 11, No

Would he feature in Real's greatest 11, No

Would he feature in England's greatest 11, No

My point is, that although Beckham was a good footballer, the amount of attention he seeks/receives is way out of proportion with the ability he had.

Apart from looking at the attention he receives maybe you should look at his charity work, his work with UNICEF and so on?

I don't see how being able to beat players makes you great? On that basis Chris waddle was better than Charlton.

For the job he had of delivering crosses and set pieces I would challenge you to name a better England player in the last 50 years?

In the last 50 years Paul Gascoigne was an infinitely more gifted English player

If he's overrated, who is exactly is it that is overrating him? Most people who know football know he wasn't the most gifted player of all time, and he is never spoken about by the media or anyone in the same terms as modern greats such as Zidane or Messi (rightly so).

However, he clearly had a fantastic work ethic and made the very most of the talent he did have to become one of England's most capped players ever. His crossing and free kick ability was also exceptional.

I would also say that his performance v Greece was one of the few occasions I have ever seen one player truly carry a team. He was all over the pitch that day, not to mention the free kick at the end. One of the best individual performances I have ever seen.

Typical British assessment of a global star! He's one of ours FFS. Rated by some of the top clubs and managers  in the world, but the Brits have to bring him down. The rest of the world treasures its star performers, why can't we! Overrated!--Yer avin a laugh.

People who think David Beckham was overated are obviously clueless when it comes to football.

Name a better crosser of the ball from England in the past 50 years?

His commitment, work ethic are 2nd to none.

You don't get over 100 caps for being overated!

Cluesless supporters who say crap like this really do make me wonder what fans we have! Are you a closet Liverpool supporter or something that thinks Gerrard is the greatest ever player?! Now he's an overrated player Gerrard!

People who think David Beckham was overated are obviously clueless when it comes to football.

Name a better crosser of the ball from England in the past 50 years?

His commitment, work ethic are 2nd to none.

You don't get over 100 caps for being overated!

Cluesless supporters who say crap like this really do make me wonder what fans we have! Are you a closet Liverpool supporter or something that thinks Gerrard is the greatest ever player?! Now he's an overrated player Gerrard!

Thought you were making perfect sense until you contradicted yourself at the end....

'You don't get over 100 caps for being overrated' you said

'Now he's an overrated player Gerrard' you said

'Clueless supporters who say crap like this really do make me wonder what fans we have' you said

Hmmmm.....

Given that he's a winger and the others aren't, probaly yes.

Fair enough that's your opinion. In front of Finney or Matthews or if you widen it to non-english, british players, Giggs or Best.

One name that's not been mentioned on this thread his Paul Scholes. Ferguson chose to get rid of Beckham at his peak, but keep Scholes. Tell's you his opinion on the matter.

Fair enough that's your opinion. In front of Finney or Matthews or if you widen it to non-english, british players, Giggs or Best.

One name that's not been mentioned on this thread his Paul Scholes. Ferguson chose to get rid of Beckham at his peak, but keep Scholes. Tell's you his opinion on the matter.

You think Ferguson got rid of Beckham because of his footballing ability??

No. It's not my opinion. He was the only winger on your list.

Archived