IGNORED

Chris Forrester

Kezman

8 minutes ago, spudski said:

Hence why it's not a good idea to let one man manage a football club, because the majority see only short term.

Absolutely, I don't disagree with that, as much as I don't criticise SC for taking such a stance. As I see it the issue is not at the manager/head coach/ fall man level, but very much higher. 

Personally though I think actually it's no terrible thing to have one man manage a football club so long as he had security of tenure. If I knew I would be 'sowing' my future absolutely I'd use the academy, built it up and plan for the future. However, when I know I'm always on the razor's edge I won't. So I don't think it necessarily is the power in one hand that is bad, but the power in one man who will be fearful of the chop, yes that definitely is. 

2 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Absolutely, I don't disagree with that, as much as I don't criticise SC for taking such a stance. 

A comment from a recent manager of ours...

'Yes because the way football is run there’s no point really. The average tenure of a job is less than 18 months. You’re trying to put something together which is long term and all that really matters is trying to win the next game so **** everything else, managers just need to win the next game. Then you win the next game and you’re supposedly a better manager for it, then you win the next one after that and all of a sudden you’re going to jump ship because someone else wants you. The whole thing is cyclical.'

10 hours ago, Harry said:

Good managers can focus on both. Selfish managers only focus on now. 

Well if memory serves, I believe that SC had a relegation battle to concentrate on, the one that the previous genius left us in, perhaps SOD was paying too much attention away from the 1st team, just a thought for balance like Harry.

10 hours ago, spudski said:

Hence why it's not a good idea to let one man manage a football club, because the majority see only short term.

I have to agree, but just in the interests of balance and speaking as somebody who has recently criticised SL, put your self in his position, firstly GJ comes in when we are in danger of dropping into the 2nd division and says "I will come to you but I will do it my way" and 2 seasons later we are 1 game away from Wembley with a then very popular manager, what does he do suddenly change the rules?, move on to SC, once more we are in danger of relegation to the 2nd division and he does the same but even better and let's be perfectly honest if LJ keeps us up this season and delivers a great season next year, the cycle could easily carry on.

When a head coach/manager has instant success, he can pretty much demand what he wants from his owner because he will be popular with the fans.

And also in the interests of balance wasn't SOD manager when Grimes rose to prominence? and haven't we been bringing in players for the development squad since the summer? or don't they count?.

look at Bentley at Southend who we were interested in at the start of the season rated one of the best Keepers outside the premiershite .

Southend have a line up of young talent there including England under 19 and under 15 Keepers and a young kid Jack Payne pulling the strings there

Look what Southampton have achieved by developing there own talent

We do not develop our own anymore it seems

5 minutes ago, Whitehead said:

look at Bentley at Southend who we were interested in at the start of the season rated one of the best Keepers outside the premiershite .

Southend have a line up of young talent there including England under 19 and under 15 Keepers and a young kid Jack Payne pulling the strings there

Look what Southampton have achieved by developing there own talent

We do not develop our own anymore it seems

Takes time. With the work Brian Tinnion etc are doing, it may take a couple of years before we start to see results. I think we are beginning to improve with the academy and development overall.

Archived