IGNORED

Chris Forrester

Kezman

We were heavily linked with him and indeed gave him a trial during the time of SOD's departure, only for SC to come in and not take the lad on.

Watched him play in the week for Peterborough against West Brom, and he was one of the youngsters that completely stood out for the Posh. They seem to have converted him from a winger to a ball playing CM. Looked lively, made some good passes and runs. Its another story of letting one slip through our fingers when the player was more than happy to come over here.

46 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

he had trials everywhere, one game on tv doesn't make a top  footballer ,like when we mugged Wigan with David cotterill 

It's not 'one game' he's been fantastic for Peterborough all season. Given their track record for unearthing unknown gems, it's fair to say they know a good player when they see one. 

He hasn't had trials 'everywhere' either - at least get your facts right and do some research before repeating your usual rhetoric about lower league players. 

He's been fantastic for Posh all season & that's why Prem & Champ have been monitoring his progress. Real Madrid (I kid you not) have watched him recently with a view to signing for their B team. The lad has a great attitude & is technically sound. Having watched CF since he was 18 playing over in Ireland I have no doubts hell be the next starlet to leave London Road for a huge profit in the near future.

59 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

he had trials everywhere, one game on tv doesn't make a top  footballer ,like when we mugged Wigan with David cotterill 

We fell into the same trap picking up Kevin Betsy after that game v Chelsea and Styvar after that game v Aston Villa.

Meanwhile England appointed a wally with a brolly after a flooky run with Boro to the Europa cup final.

Suckers!!!! Should have kept the receipt.

2 hours ago, Kezman said:

We wereSamuel senlinked with him and indeed  gave him a trial during the time of SOD's departure, only for SC to come in and not take the lad on.

Watched him play in the week for Peterborough against West Brom, and he was one of the youngsters that completely stood out for the Posh. They seem to have converted him from a winger to a ball playing CM. Looked lively, made some good passes and runs. Its another story of letting one slip through our fingers when the player was more than happy to come over here.

The one who stood out for me was Samuelsen on loan from the Hammers. Shame about his penalty though.

15 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

it's taken almost 3 years to get to where he is, I admire the fact that he never gave up on his dream but 3 years is a long time to wait for somebody already 20 years old to possibly make it.

He would of trained with the first team but played in the U21's till deemed ready for first team contention. I'd like to think with better facilities coaches etc. If he had signed at the time he was on trial here he would of got his English first team debut sooner than when he did at Pboro.

4 minutes ago, redcherryberry said:

He would of trained with the first team but played in the U21's till deemed ready for first team contention. I'd like to think with better facilities coaches etc. If he had signed at the time he was on trial here he would of got his English first team debut sooner than when he did at Pboro.

A lot of supposition, i'm cool with it, he may go down in the annals of history as one who got away and he may not, in my day it was allegedly Trevor Francis and our reluctance to buy his dad a car or a young Mike Summerbee and Ernie Hunt roundabout 1963/64 Harry Dolman allegedly told Fred Ford to go out and get them and he would finance it, Fred was always cautious spending money and Summerbee went to Man City and Ernie Hunt went to Wolves and then there was Johnny Crossan even further back, it happens.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It's not 'one game' he's been fantastic for Peterborough all season. Given their track record for unearthing unknown gems, it's fair to say they know a good player when they see one. 

He hasn't had trials 'everywhere' either - at least get your facts right and do some research before repeating your usual rhetoric about lower league players. 

Ive mentioned before on here that I spend a lot of time in the Peterborough area due to work and so have to watch them,he is a good player don't get me wrong but fantastic is rather strong,as for trials,don't believe everything you read in Wikipedia 

Forrester is just one player in a long list of players that have been recommended to City, that they have been reluctant to make a move on...only to find many on that list have gone on to other Clubs and done well for themselves.

It's about taking a chance when they are a raw talent...it's not a one off I'm afraid.

7 minutes ago, spudski said:

Forrester is just one player in a long list of players that have been recommended to City, that they have been reluctant to make a move on...only to find many on that list have gone on to other Clubs and done well for themselves.

It's about taking a chance when they are a raw talent...it's not a one off I'm afraid.

BCFC can't take everybody recommended to them and i'm sure that even in this new era the same thing will happen more than once and also it might have meant somebody else not being taken on, it's not a precise science and if we did take everybody recommended LJ would seen a horde of Zulus running towards him when visiting the academy.

10 minutes ago, spudski said:

Good suggestions can come from anyone. The club should appreciate that and that our network of fans may stretch wider than their own scouting. 

Dont get me wrong there's a lot of duff shouts but then there are also those who have a great knowledge.  

Everton have had a good deal of success bringing in and through young players. And they were proud of the fact that something like Football Manager fed in to their knowledge. Who feeds in to football manager... fans. 

15 minutes ago, spudski said:

Same at every club though,without changing the point of this thread it would be interesting to see who we have picked up after clubs didn't want them

5 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

BCFC can't take everybody recommended to them and i'm sure that even in this new era the same thing will happen more than once and also it might have meant somebody else not being taken on, it's not a precise science and if we did take everybody recommended LJ would seen a horde of Zulus running towards him when visiting the academy.

The Zulu comment did make me giggle...did we have that many black players back then?

Unfortunately the list of players recommended have all gone on to do relatively well...the one's we've taken on in the Development teams...not so.

6 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Good suggestions can come from anyone. The club should appreciate that and that our network of fans may stretch wider than their own scouting. 

Dont get me wrong there's a lot of duff shouts but then there are also those who have a great knowledge.  

Everton have had a good deal of success bringing in and through young players. And they were proud of the fact that something like Football Manager fed in to their knowledge. Who feeds in to football manager... fans. 

Indeed...I'm hoping things will change a little with MA and LJ here now.

2 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Same at every club though,without changing the point of this thread it would be interesting to see who we have picked up after clubs didn't want them

We may have picked some up...but have they developed?

The likes of Matt Grimes was another who City passed up on...could have had him for peanuts a while back...how much did he get sold for?

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

The Zulu comment did make me giggle...did we have that many black players back then?

Unfortunately the list of players recommended have all gone on to do relatively well...the one's we've taken on in the Development teams...not so.

I plagiarised it from the piece by DMC nothing to do with black players.

As I said it's not a precise science, with the latest changes at AG, if over the 1/2 years it occurs again, then a good cause to complain that somebody is not doing their job, but who would know?.

3 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

The difference with this one is that we took him on trial, he impressed, and we were in the midst of signing him. Sod got the boot, SC took over and didn't even give him a chance. Just dismissed the transfer immediately. 

So, regardless of how many trials he'd had before, we were about to sign him for pretty much eff all but SC said no. 

Sorry to say but signing players with 'potential' was not SC's thing. He only ever focussed on immediate returns and that attitude has meant no decent academy signings in 2 years. 

No surprise to see us spend £125k on Pring & Baldwin as soon as he'd gone. For the same amount 2 years ago we could've had Forrester & Grimes. 

20 minutes ago, Harry said:

The difference with this one is that we took him on trial, he impressed, and we were in the midst of signing him. Sod got the boot, SC took over and didn't even give him a chance. Just dismissed the transfer immediately. 

So, regardless of how many trials he'd had before, we were about to sign him for pretty much eff all but SC said no. 

Sorry to say but signing players with 'potential' was not SC's thing. He only ever focussed on immediate returns and that attitude has meant no decent academy signings in 2 years. 

No surprise to see us spend £125k on Pring & Baldwin as soon as he'd gone. For the same amount 2 years ago we could've had Forrester & Grimes. 

You maybe right,cotts wanted to win things and as the board proved in the summer they wurnt willing to back him,the one thing Peterborough have in their chairman is a astute businesses man who is happy  to make money out of his football club,the cost is the same as Crewe,develope good players but end up drifting between league 1 and 2

"Tbg I was worried when he first went over if he was gonna continue playing the same role because as talented as he is, even over here he was rly lightweight. Seems to have gotten a lot  more physically imposing in a short space of time and obvs he's a baller anyway to go with it. Smh @ Cotterill being shit though"

That's what my mate has told me

3 hours ago, Mad Cyril said:

Meanwhile England appointed a wally with a brolly after a flooky run with Boro to the Europa cup final.

Suckers!!!! Should have kept the receipt.

England appointed Steve McLaren after they failed to land Luiz Felipe Scolari. He was always the FA's second choice, despite publically announcing the contrary.

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Fair point but I'd temper that with 'understandably'. If you'd delivered the league and the only reasonable trophy and were sacked months down the line, two perm signings down the line, perhaps 'signing for potential' would not hit your radar. 

Less a criticism of SC more a criticism of modern day football and the short termism that hits boardroom level. If anything SC is totally vindicated to my mind by not planning for the future. 

12 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Fair point but I'd temper that with 'understandably'. If you'd delivered the league and the only reasonable trophy and were sacked months down the line, two perm signings down the line, perhaps 'signing for potential' would not hit your radar. 

Less a criticism of SC more a criticism of modern day football and the short termism that hits boardroom level. If anything SC is totally vindicated to my mind by not planning for the future. 

Good managers can focus on both. Selfish managers only focus on now. 

16 minutes ago, Harry said:

Good managers can focus on both. Selfish managers only focus on now. 

Appreciate that may be the case, but if I'm in a job which on average I'd be in situ for 2 years I'd say bollox to doing my bit for the future; its results which will keep me in the job and help me pass my next interview. For that reason, even if true, I'd make no criticism of SC and say the selfishness is justified. 

23 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Appreciate that may be the case, but if I'm in a job which on average I'd be in situ for 2 years I'd say bollox to doing my bit for the future; its results which will keep me in the job and help me pass my next interview. For that reason, even if true, I'd make no criticism of SC and say the selfishness is justified. 

Hence why it's not a good idea to let one man manage a football club, because the majority see only short term.

Archived