IGNORED

The Official Bristol City v Brighton & Hove Albion Match Day Thread

Good evening one and all.

Tonight is all about significant and coincidental facts so if that bores you go and take a read down memory lane of the match day thread last year.

And on that floodlit night back in October City were apparently unlucky to lose and the best footballing side to visit the Amex Stadium to that point in the season according to many Brighton fans. Small comfort. Tonights reverse fixture is repeated in being a Tuesday evening kick off. Perhaps we will be in a position to write the epitaph that describes Brighton being the best visiting side to play at Ashton Gate this season but going away empty handed. Back in October, on what was match day 12 City were 21st with 10 pts and a goal difference of -7. That was about 1/4 the way through the season and today is about 3/4 and oddly enough we are on almost exactly the same proportionate tally of 34 points with a goal difference of -19. Brighton meanwhile were top that day on 28 points, four points clear of Birmingham City and a goal difference of +8. Today Brighton have doubled their points tally but their goal difference is actually worse at +7 and is a stand out for being low compared to their fellow promotion hopefulls. Their league position clearly shows they have stalled in their dominance, currently sitting 3rd although somewhat ominously they have picked up their form in recent weeks. Both teams are on the same good run having taken 13 points from their last 6 games and it is this identical statistic that makes this fixture a very interesting one. Add to that the fact City are just one game behind equalling Brighton in the historic matches won against each other, 28 to 29, and you have a very significant match indeed.

Steve Lansdown often held Brighton up as an example of how a fight against adversity finally triumphed; Having visited the Goldstone Ground when i was a teenager and thoroughly enjoyed the experience I was dismayed when, i suppose for financial reasons, the Seagulls were forced out and ended up at The Withdean. I went to that ground as well and I really would not wish that place on any club. I suspect a few fans on here will be able to suggest one such team. However, for me, The Withdean was one of the worst grounds in the country and I was delighted for the long suffering Brighton fan when they were finally able to move into the marvellous Amex Stadium.

That is where the compliments and sympathy ends and now we turn to tonight. It is about time we gave Brighton a good thumping to be frank. The Play Off Final still rankles somewhat and I am sure there are other needle matches that resonate with many of you and you will care to mention on this thread. I know they thumped us 7-0 and 5-1 back in the 1930's but we did thump them back a year later 5-0. Fortunately only 3,600 watched that horrible 7-0 defeat at the Goldstone but then again only 4,500 watched us win 5-0 at Ashton gate in 1934. And here is an interesting statistic; in our last home match against Brighton before WWII, held on Boxing day 1938, there were just under 10,000 at The Gate. In the first home fixture against Brighton after the war there were more than 21,000. We won the first and drew the latter but what a difference in attendance and had I not looked that up might have guessed the opposite was true.

Tonight will be a virtual sell out I suspect so we can announce the attendance now as being 15,781. :)

Well done to all those attending. Can we keep the little run going? Brighton have taken very few points on the road of late but something has to give tonight with all those significant reasons or omens for it to do so. For that reason alone it will probably disappoint and end our winning run.

0-0

No goals, plenty of incidents.

However, do please bear in mind my predictions are nearly as bad as Holloway on the BBC and I have studied his predictions of late and he is bad, very bad.

UTC

And finally....I finish today with a few trivial facts about the Seagulls:-

Seagulls are very clever. They learn, remember and even pass on behaviours, such as stamping their feet in a group to imitate rainfall and trick earthworms to come to the surface.

Seagulls’ intelligence is clearly demonstrated by a range of different feeding behaviours, such as dropping hard-shelled molluscs onto rocks so that they break open so they can eat them, and following ploughs in fields where they know upturned grubs and other food sources will be plentiful.

Seagulls are attentive and caring parents. The male and female pair for life and they take turns incubating the eggs, and feeding and protecting the chicks.

Gulls have a complex and highly developed repertoire for communication which includes a range of vocalisations and body movements.

In short if you see the Brighton fans jumping up and down, flailing their arms and shouting vociferously they are either starving, protecting their offspring by keeping them warm or in the process of mating with their fellow fan; don't mistake this for supporting their team on the pitch as its a complete red herring! Goodnight all.

Edited by havanatopia
  • Like 13
15 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Good evening one and all.

Tonight is all about significant and coincidental facts so if that bores you go and take a read down memory lane of the match day thread last year.

And on that floodlit night back in October City were apparently unlucky to lose and the best footballing side to visit the Amex Stadium to that point in the season according to many Brighton fans. Small comfort. Tonights reverse fixture is repeated in being a Tuesday evening kick off. Perhaps we will be in a position to write the epitaph that describes Brighton being the best visiting side to play at Ashton Gate this season but going away empty handed. Back in October, on what was match day 12 City were 21st with 10 pts and a goal difference of -7. That was about 1/4 the way through the season and today is about 3/4 and oddly enough we are on almost exactly the same proportionate tally of 34 points with a goal difference of -19. Brighton meanwhile were top that day on 28 points, four points clear of Birmingham City and a goal difference of +8. Today Brighton have doubled their points tally but their goal difference is actually worse at +7 and is a stand out for being low compared to their fellow promotion hopefulls. Their league position clearly shows they have stalled in their dominance, currently sitting 3rd although somewhat ominously they have picked up their form in recent weeks. Both teams are on the same good run having taken 13 points from their last 6 games and it is this identical statistic that makes this fixture a very interesting one. Add to that the fact City are just one game behind equalling Brighton in the historic matches won against each other, 28 to 29, and you have a very significant match indeed.

Steve Lansdown often held Brighton up as an example of how a fight against adversity finally triumphed; Having visited the Goldstone Ground when i was a teenager and thoroughly enjoyed the experience I was dismayed when, i suppose for financial reasons, the Seagulls were forced out and ended up at The Withdean. I went to that ground as well and I really would not wish that place on any club. I suspect a few fans on here will be able to suggest one such team. However, for me, The Withdean was one of the worst grounds in the country and I was delighted for the long suffering Brighton fan when they were finally able to move into the marvellous Amex Stadium.

That is where the compliments and sympathy ends and now we turn to tonight. It is about time we gave Brighton a good thumping to be frank. The Play Off Final still rankles somewhat and I am sure there are other needle matches that resonate with many of you and you will care to mention on this thread. I know they thumped us 7-0 and 5-1 back in the 1930's but we did thump them back a year later 5-0. Fortunately only 3,600 watched that horrible 7-0 defeat at the Goldstone but then again only 4,500 watched us win 5-0 at Ashton gate in 1934. And here is an interesting statistic; in our last home match against Brighton before WWII, held on Boxing day 1938, there were just under 10,000 at The Gate. In the first home fixture against Brighton after the war there were more than 21,000. We won the first and drew the latter but what a difference in attendance and had I not looked that up might have guessed the opposite was true.

Tonight will be a virtual sell out I suspect so we can announce the attendance now as being 15,781. :)

Well done to all those attending. Can we keep the little run going? Brighton have taken very few points on the road of late but something has to give tonight with all those significant reasons or omens for it to do so. For that reason alone it will probably disappoint and end our winning run.

0-0

No goals, plenty of incidents.

However, do please bear in mind my predictions are nearly as bad as Holloway on the BBC and I have studied his predictions of late and he is bad, very bad.

UTC

Condensed Version

Brighton

A fortune to be made selling cucumbers

• Like 2
1 hour ago, havanatopia said:

In short if you see the Brighton fans jumping up and down, flailing their arms and shouting vociferously they are either starving, protecting their offspring by keeping them warm or in the process of mating with their fellow fan; don't mistake this for supporting their team on the pitch as its a complete red herring! Goodnight all.

Would seagulls leave a complete red herring? I think we should be told...

22 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Very good as ever Hava, old bean. Interesting seagull facts, though you did miss one. A Flock of Seagulls was a  1980s new wave synthesiser  band, famous as much for ridiculous hair styles as their music. 

If i had a photograph of you , i probably would n't post it in here after i got into trouble with my last illustrated joke .

38 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Very good as ever Hava, old bean. Interesting seagull facts, though you did miss one. A Flock of Seagulls was a  1980s new wave synthesiser  band, famous as much for ridiculous hair styles as their music. 

Tranmere fans.

Google a picture of them now. They are back together playing on the nostalgia circuit.

Look like a bunch of brickies a few years off retirement. 

3 minutes ago, Aizoon said:

Should we arm the pigeons?

I think so!    I couldn't believe it when I saw it. I was fishing in our local pond and the Seagull just swoop down got the Pigeon by the neck, flew with it into the water, drowned it, took it to the bank and proceeded to eat it.    Never seen it before, and this was Summer so plenty of food around.