Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

phantom

Flying Scotsman

For those of a certain age or a certain interest will be delighted to know that the Flying Scotsman has it's first major journey this morning since it's £4.2m makeover

Already delayed due to people trying to get photos trackside, so it's had to stop a few times

You can track it here http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U59844/2016/02/25/advanced

Shame some people had to stray onto the tracks.    Good too see it on the mainline.. does it have to have an orange stripe along the top of it for mainline running?

Magnificent steam engine. The Flying Scotsman and The Mallard were my favourites.

My paternal grandfather started on the railways as a track layer in the 30s and worked his way up to management over his career. His genes might be why I find steam engines so fascinating.

2 hours ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

I once saw the "City of Truro", on a low loader, driving along the M42.

We saw the Flying Scotsman on a low loader (the locomotive not Scott Murray) on the way back from THAT game at Mansfield.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

Yup! I saw it about 20 years ago, although that looks more recent. Does it still steam?

Appears that it is in the National Railway Museum in York http://www.nrm.org.uk/OurCollection/LocomotivesAndRollingStock/CollectionItem?objid=1978-7025

Not sure what use they get out of it now?

Certainly has an interesting history https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GWR_3700_Class_3440_City_of_Truro

Amazing that we tore thousands of these machine up to make way for the new diesels - museums were still a thing back then, that suggest they did not realise what an attraction / importance to the future these great machines they worked on had/would have.

• Like 1

On 23 December 2016 at 17:11, Fiale said:

Amazing that we tore thousands of these machine up to make way for the new diesels - museums were still a thing back then, that suggest they did not realise what an attraction / importance to the future these great machines they worked on had/would have.

The steam preservation movement ironically owe a huge debt of gratitude to woodham brothers in Barry who kept lots of steam trains and processed as much other scrap they had. Over 300 engines were saved from them as a result. 

12 hours ago, Tomarse said:

The steam preservation movement ironically owe a huge debt of gratitude to woodham brothers in Barry who kept lots of steam trains and processed as much other scrap they had. Over 300 engines were saved from them as a result. 

The name escapes me now, but saw a programme on this a few weeks back, agree if it wasn't for them it would be a lot worse

Notice a James May programme is about the Flying Scotsman too - set the Sky+ to record it, think he builds one of his infamous giant models

25 minutes ago, phantom said:

The name escapes me now, but saw a programme on this a few weeks back, agree if it wasn't for them it would be a lot worse

Notice a James May programme is about the Flying Scotsman too - set the Sky+ to record it, think he builds one of his infamous giant models

There was a documentary that I`ve seen a couple of times on the various UKTV channels about some enthusiasts who wanted to start a heritage railway somewhere in the Midlands and that was where they got their rolling stock. There were interviews on that with the son(?) of the original Mr Woodham about how it all came together.

I think Pete Waterman was in it too - he`s a huge steam fan and puts a lot of money into restoration projects.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Super said:

Bit worried when I saw this thread title. Glad Gary Anderson is still alive.

LOL, @Super am pleased to confirm Gary and Rachel both returned safely from the Ally Pally

• Like 1

On 23/12/2016 at 12:23, Robbored said:

Magnificent steam engine. The Flying Scotsman and The Mallard were my favourites.

My paternal grandfather started on the railways as a track layer in the 30s and worked his way up to management over his career. His genes might be why I find steam engines so fascinating.

In 1958 (or threreabouts) I travelled by train from Leeds to Kings Cross.  I was delighted to see that the loco was an A4, the Dominion of Canada.  Sadly the engine, which looked very tatty, must have been steaming badly as we never exceeded 60 mph at any time.  A huge disappointment.

Being brought up in the sarf, my favourite engines were the Schools Class 4-4-0s and the wonderful Bullied Pacifics.  Oliver Bullied was, at one time, assistant to Sir Nigel Gresley so he had the finest tutor.

Happy days!

On 05/01/2017 at 07:55, phantom said:

20170105_075511.png

20170105_075400.png

20170105_075420.png

20170105_075432.png

20170105_075455.png

Sold out in hours !! so I understand from someone who works on West Somerset Railway 

Edited by BobBobSuperBob

Thought I'd bump this tonight as I guess a few of you will be out and about with your cameras … just a timely reminder for Flying Scotsman spotters... In our area tomorrow … Monday 8th.

Hope to see some pics here.. good luck getting some good vantage points.. 

• Like 1

Flying Scotsman trespassers spark track ban threatre this with Facebook

Train spottersImage copyrightH KELSEY
Image captionA driver said he faced groups of trespassers "every 200 yards" along part of the route

The Flying Scotsman could be banned from main line tracks after people trespassed to catch a glimpse of it.

There was chaos between Derby and Birmingham last Sunday as fans vied to spot the legendary loco on its UK tour.

The situation was blamed for a string of delays to normal services, with reports of people refusing to move when challenged by drivers.

Network Rail said a ban would be a "move of last resort" but could not be ruled out if lives were being risked.

It would not let "a few thoughtless lawbreakers" cause dangers and delays, it said.

Nearly 60 services were delayed for a total of 1,000 minutes as Flying Scotsman complete its tour of the Midlands last weekend, British Transport Police (BTP) said.

The force has issued an image of two photographers it wants to trace, saying it was "extremely disappointing that a small minority of rail enthusiasts put their lives in grave danger".

Trainspotters on line police appealImage copyrightBRITISH TRANSPORT POLICE
Image captionAn image of two people just metres away from the line as a train was due to pass was released by police

One passenger service driver, who asked to remain anonymous, said he saw trainspotting trespassers every 200 yards.

Describing it as "probably the most stressful experience I have ever had", he said it was "only a matter of time before someone is seriously injured or killed" trying to get a photo.

Nick Brodrick, editor of Steam Railway magazine, said the problem was "deeply troubling".

"When you have drivers having to stop, get out and tell trespassers to move and even then be ignored, the situation is simply unacceptable," he said.

He said it would be hard to argue with a ban if someone was injured or killed.

A Flying Scotsman spokesman said a ban "would not be a surprise" but every effort, such as CCTV and extra police on the train, was being taken to avoid the situation.

The tour ends in Scotland on Friday.

2 hours ago, Slippin cider said:

Ban all kettles from the ML ....all they do is get in the way and cause kettle cranks to go into brain meltdown....:yawn:

Just leave it to Tornado 

• Like 1

On 17/06/2019 at 11:20, TomF said:

Good. Stuff it and mount it in the NRM and get green arrow running instead. Or Mallard. 

I saw Mallard in "regular" service in late '61 on the Cambridge Buffet Express at Hitchin, also saw the V2 at roughly the same time.

11 hours ago, TomF said:

Just leave it to Tornado 

Spooky that you should mention 60163 @TomF it is part of a trip from Bristol to Par this Sunday

20190619_095027.jpg

20190619_095042.jpg

Not sure if anyone is interested, but there is some great information here https://gallery.mailchimp.com/a8fc96500acab2d6cc690eedd/files/277e11e3-5648-4629-95cf-63394fde8a93/2019_Tour_Guide.pdf

@phantom wanna see my videos?

DM me your email address if you do. Couple of close ups trackside when FS last came through Frome.

And the current Mrs S treated me to a trip from TM to Minehead for me 50th. And one of the many benefits of her being 12 years younger than me?

She fluttered her eyelashes and before we knew it we was on the footplate!

14276F2E-E0A0-40C2-84C5-B9CCACBFD806.png

Edited by BigAl&Toby
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, BigAl&Toby said:

@phantom wanna see my videos?

DM me your email address if you do. Couple of close ups trackside when FS last came through Frome.

And the current Mrs S treated me to a trip from TM to Minehead for me 50th. And one of the many benefits of her being 12 years younger than me?

She fluttered her eyelashes and before we knew it we was on the footplate!

14276F2E-E0A0-40C2-84C5-B9CCACBFD806.png

Never understand why of recent years they fitted FS with German-type smoke deflectors...........never had them when running "properly" in British Railways days .