Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Anyway its about time...


WhistleHappy

Recommended Posts

30 minutes ago, phantom said:

I know it reads as very morbid but I know of a pub where there is a sweepstake on this very topic

I went with Kenny Sansom

I tried to get a dead pool going at work one year (choosing celebs, rather than work colleagues, I hasten to add), turns out I badly misjudged the mood of my fellow workers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, phantom said:

I know it reads as very morbid but I know of a pub where there is a sweepstake on this very topic

I went with Kenny Sansom

It's not as uncommon as you think. Death Pools and the previously mentioned deathlist.net are popular.   We used to have 'Fantasy Funerals' on thefootballforum and it was quite a popular if slightly morbid bit of fun. Obviously it offended some but then you don't have to read the topic/forum.   Amazingly we had a lad pick Jade Goody from complete obscurity prior to her even annoucing she was ill.  This lad also was quite ill himself and wanted to pick himself one year!  (he passed away a few years later bless him)

We could easily have an OTIB death pool on here but really needs to run from Jan to Dec..

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

It's not as uncommon as you think. Death Pools and the previously mentioned deathlist.net are popular.   We used to have 'Fantasy Funerals' on thefootballforum and it was quite a popular if slightly morbid bit of fun. Obviously it offended some but then you don't have to read the topic/forum.   Amazingly we had a lad pick Jade Goody from complete obscurity prior to her even annoucing she was ill.  This lad also was quite ill himself and wanted to pick himself one year!  (he passed away a few years later bless him)

We could easily have an OTIB death pool on here but really needs to run from Jan to Dec..

Would not offend me. Count me in for 2017 (hopefully as a chooser rather than a chosen).

Link to post
Share on other sites

One World renowned and pretty much universally liked and respected sporting and cultural hero that I'm dreading news of his passing is Muhammad Ali. I think its sadly got to be nearing the end for this great man, he has suffered Ill health for near on 35 years a lesser person would most likely have succumbed long before now.

He was loved and hated in almost equal measure at his peak in the ring, a real pro and showman... someone who's arrogant boasts were backed up superbly .. The Cassius Clay religious name change to Ali was controversial at the time but he never flinched in the face of controversy , was stripped of his title when refusing to 'sign up' for the Vietnam war on religious grounds - but typically fought back to truly become 'the Greatest' despite being written off by so many. He won more than boxing titles he won the hearts and minds of a much wider public than just sports fans, thanks to the courage of his convictions and charismatic personality...

I remember the Cassius Clay days epic battles with  ' our 'Enery  '  unforgettable appearances on the Parkinson Show (something sadly ironic about that) and so much more etc ... (even shook the mans immense hand once, ..well near enough was his wax work at Madam Tussauds :) )

Cant help thinking it wont be too much longer before news reaches us that The Greatest has finally been beaten by the bell. Will be a sad day.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/05/2016 at 01:02, WhistleHappy said:

One World renowned and pretty much universally liked and respected sporting and cultural hero that I'm dreading news of his passing is Muhammad Ali. I think its sadly got to be nearing the end for this great man, he has suffered Ill health for near on 35 years a lesser person would most likely have succumbed long before now.

He was loved and hated in almost equal measure at his peak in the ring, a real pro and showman... someone who's arrogant boasts were backed up superbly .. The Cassius Clay religious name change to Ali was controversial at the time but he never flinched in the face of controversy , was stripped of his title when refusing to 'sign up' for the Vietnam war on religious grounds - but typically fought back to truly become 'the Greatest' despite being written off by so many. He won more than boxing titles he won the hearts and minds of a much wider public than just sports fans, thanks to the courage of his convictions and charismatic personality...

I remember the Cassius Clay days epic battles with  ' our 'Enery  '  unforgettable appearances on the Parkinson Show (something sadly ironic about that) and so much more etc ... (even shook the mans immense hand once, ..well near enough was his wax work at Madam Tussauds :) )

Cant help thinking it wont be too much longer before news reaches us that The Greatest has finally been beaten by the bell. Will be a sad day.

 

Very sad day... Goodbye to The Greatest... RIP  to a truly larger than life character and sporting/humanitarian/celebrity superstar... LEGEND RIP 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just thinking about Ali and wondering if there was anyone else in the sporting world who`s death would mean so much to so many and I really can`t think of anyone. There`s a few that come close - Pele perhaps? - but no-one who gets there. It`s like when David Bowie died really.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Just thinking about Ali and wondering if there was anyone else in the sporting world who`s death would mean so much to so many and I really can`t think of anyone. There`s a few that come close - Pele perhaps? - but no-one who gets there. It`s like when David Bowie died really.

Pele probably. I think from the musical world McCartney will be something else but he seems in very fine health.

The Queen will be huge I sense. I read an article on business insider about just what we can expect when she goes.. Fair amount of disruption to say the least

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Pele probably. I think from the musical world McCartney will be something else but he seems in very fine health.

The Queen will be huge I sense. I read an article on business insider about just what we can expect when she goes.. Fair amount of disruption to say the least

The music one is difficult to judge. I agree it would probably be McCartney but you could argue for Mick Jagger, Bob Dylan, Elton John or even, dare I say, Cliff Richard!

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Queen is a good candidate and in this year of celebrity names that have passed on (we're not even halfway through the year) it wouldn't generate as much surprise or shock as an any other (normal) year but as someone else said she's so robust and keeps going on and on I can easily see her making 100.  (Does she send a telegram to herself) 

Prince Philip maybe, he's had his health issues but he's older than she is but there's no immediate danger.     Possibly one of the James Bond actors like Connery, Moore or Lazenby as they're not getting any younger but as with the others seem to be in reasonably good health.

Other names to consider would be Joss Ackland, Dame Vera Lynn, Bill Shatner and Mick Jagger (those years of substance abuse and rock and roll have to catch up sooner or later)

Link to post
Share on other sites
On Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 12:43, One Team In Keynsham said:

I tried to get a dead pool going at work one year (choosing celebs, rather than work colleagues, I hasten to add), turns out I badly misjudged the mood of my fellow workers.

All still alive, are they? :(

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...