IGNORED

Terrace humour

Jerseybean

This is for those, like me, who have had more than enough of threads directly or indirectly concerned with the immediate future of our manager.

This post is a genuine endeavour to introduce some fresh humour around the place.

So, here goes.

Please share your funniest ever moment at a football match, perhaps something that was said, something you witnessed, anything at all really that is true and funny.

Fill your boots and enjoy.

Not funny is the most humorous way, but funny in a "serves the cheating SYNT right" way.

February 2007, Galatasaray vs Denizlispor. 

Denizli have battled to keep the score 1-1 as injury time starts, when one of their players goes down at the tiniest of touches, in an attempt to waste time worthy of any player managed by Warnock.

Unfortunately for him he legitimately injured his shoulder when he dived, and was carried off on a stretcher. As the stretcher carriers were approaching the touchline one of them slipped, dropping the injured diving cheat onto the shoulder that he had hurt.

I quite liked the "la la la, Gerkins in a pickle" song away at Colly when they were still playing at Layer Road. Think the song came out after we turned around the game and won 2-1.

Was also some good banter with a James Cordon look-a-like away at upton park a few years ago!!

Lots to remember, with 3 springing to mind which may only be funny to me ... some of those 'you had to be there' moments.

- My mate getting hit full face on by a meat pie thrown from Home fans at Roker Park in 1992.

- legendary comment on the coach out of Wembley v Mansfield in mid 80''s to someone doing a mooner who seemed to have an issue with personal hygiene 'he''s got a brown eyed cyclops that one'

- shopping trolly racing (one in and one pushing) at Cambridge across the fields after spending too much time in the pub with the local army lads and lasses. Followed in the ground by the wonderful Rennie for Scotland chant!

Fun times!

COYR!

Last season when we sung "**** off ISIS" to the Birmingham fans.

That's not funny & you'd be surprised at the OTIB'ers that were joining in. Always looked at some of you different since then.

Edit: To clarify, that definitely wasn't funny,  but the recent Eastern threads have frustrated me.

I've posted this story on here before so apologies to those who have previously read it.

About ten years ago when I was living in Speedwell, I went to watch St George play one fine August day. Paid a fiver to get in which included a programme and watched them lose 1-2 to Gillingham from Dorset. Had a decent time and vowed I would go again.

There was an international break the following November so I walked to their ground and arrived just on time at 3pm. I was chuffed that the chap who collected the admission money had obviously gone to watch the game as I got in for free and quickly made my way towards the terracing as the match kicked off. St George were playing Bitton a bit of a moneybags team in local football at the time managed by Andy Black and having ex pros such as Michael Meaker in their line up. So, when St George were awarded a pen after about 20 minutes, I cheered and then clapped and cheered vigorously as it was converted. The St George penalty taker gave me a really chilling glare at this point but I put this down to the fact he seemed to be the side's enforcer so I thought he was doing that for show.

About ten minutes later Bitton equalised which was met by a fair degree of cheering by their sizeable band of travelling fans who seemed to be directing a fair bit of it towards me in particular. Then a few odd things started happening. About five different substitutions were made in the final ten minutes of the first half and then at halftime the players started shaking hands. I suddenly twigged that it was really the end of the match and was then informed that it had kicked off at 2pm due to the absence of floodlighting and that Bitton had been 4-0 up at halftime! I said that I thought it was 1-1 and halftime, whereupon a few people laughed and then, I couldn't help noticing, did their best to avoid me on the way out. I, in turn, did my best to avoid the St George penalty taker as he left the pitch.

At a City away game one of our fans threw a banana towards the pitch and it hit a copper who had his back to us on the helmet ( that's not the joke!).  He turned around to us and shook his head in disgust............at which point one of our fans shouted...."the man from Delmonte, he say NO !! "  Suppose you had to be there but it was funny at the time.

If I remember correctly it was around 2001 and we were playing Brentford on a rainy Tuesday night in an early round of the League cup.

One of the Brentford players received a nasty leg injury that resulted in the player having to be stretchered off. 

The stretcher team had only got a few feet when one of them lost grip and sent the player crashing  to the floor again.

Cue a 30 minute delay and a gray suited Dr Das doing one of his emergency runs from the top of the Williams to the middle of the pitch.

I don't know why but I've always found that to be one of the funniest things I've seen at the Gate.

9 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

I've posted this story on here before so apologies to those who have previously read it.

About ten years ago when I was living in Speedwell, I went to watch St George play one fine August day. Paid a fiver to get in which included a programme and watched them lose 1-2 to Gillingham from Dorset. Had a decent time and vowed I would go again.

There was an international break the following November so I walked to their ground and arrived just on time at 3pm. I was chuffed that the chap who collected the admission money had obviously gone to watch the game as I got in for free and quickly made my way towards the terracing as the match kicked off. St George were playing Bitton a bit of a moneybags team in local football at the time managed by Andy Black and having ex pros such as Michael Meaker in their line up. So, when St George were awarded a pen after about 20 minutes, I cheered and then clapped and cheered vigorously as it was converted. The St George penalty taker gave me a really chilling glare at this point but I put this down to the fact he seemed to be the side's enforcer so I thought he was doing that for show.

About ten minutes later Bitton equalised which was met by a fair degree of cheering by their sizeable band of travelling fans who seemed to be directing a fair bit of it towards me in particular. Then a few odd things started happening. About five different substitutions were made in the final ten minutes of the first half and then at halftime the players started shaking hands. I suddenly twigged that it was really the end of the match and was then informed that it had kicked off at 2pm due to the absence of floodlighting and that Bitton had been 4-0 up at halftime! I said that I thought it was 1-1 and halftime, whereupon a few people laughed and then, I couldn't help noticing, did their best to avoid me on the way out. I, in turn, did my best to avoid the St George penalty taker as he left the pitch.

This reminds me of a few Western League Premier moments I've witnessed. Not the funniest per se, but not entirely dull (to me anyway).

Bristol Manor Farm vs Someone (I forget who)

The away side had a midget in goal, genuinely about the height of Lee Johnson, maybe even an inch shorter, but my word he was a good goal keeper.

He was short and had a bit of a belly, but he was ridiculously agile despite this and was the MOTM by an absolute mile in a game where Bristol Manor Farm absolutely battered his side, but lost 4-0. I think his side only had 4 shots in the entire game.

Bristol Manor Farm vs Someone Else (I forget who again)

Away side had the worlds grumpiest man as their manager, he complained to the linesman at every decision, even some that went his way. Me and my Dad stood under the shelter between the dugouts, but at the away side and just wound him up until he got sent to the stand.

Note that at this point Manor Farm were getting crowds of about 30, and even sent into the crowd the manager would have a pretty easy job getting his message to the players.

Bristol Manor Farm vs Yet Another Side I Forgot

One of the joys of non-league football is the freedom of movement around the ground as the game progresses. there was one game in which Farm got 2 penalties and being stood behind the goal I pointed towards one corner while telling the opposing goalkeeper that the striker was going to go the opposite way.

Both times the ball went to the corner I pointed and the goalkeeper dived the way I told him. I can't claim to really have had any effect on where the 'keeper went or where the striker shot, but I like to think I did.

Hallen vs Bishop Cleeve (or was it Bishop Sutton?)

Les Philips Cup Final (their equivalent of the league cup) played at the home of Bristol Manor Farm.

A tight game which Hallen were just barely shading until the last 5 minutes. were a Bishops Cleeve/Sutton player got booked for a late tackle from behind. 30 seconds later he got a second yellow card for an identical foul.

He stormed off the pitch and kicked the changing room doors as he left.

2 minutes later another Bishops Cleeve/Sutton player got sent off for 2 fouls identical to the ones the first player was sent off for, he then also threw a hissy fit on his way off the pitch.

Finally, at a slightly higher level, and not so much humourous, as unusual and one time where I was grateful that the referee did not apply the rules fully.

The game was Mangotsfield vs Gloucester, the score (at the time) was 1-2, Mangotsfield win a freekick in a dangerous position and Gloucester line up a five man wall. However the wall refused to go back the full 10 yards, and the referee booked all 5 players. They then shuffled back about 6 inches, but refused to go the full 10 yards. Instead of giving them all a second yellow, meaning 5 red cards for one side and causing the game to be abandoned, the referee told Mangotsfield to take the freekick as it was.

Mangotsfield went on to overturn the lead and win 5-4- if memory serves correct David Seal scored 4 of those.

Last game of 74-75 season and a mis placed, but firmly struck shot saw the ball hit the backside of a Police horse. The copper had his back to the action, so the first he knew of it was when he found himself gripping the reins for all he worth in an effort to stay on.

Watching Bolton's Neil Whatmore going down the wing "We want some more of that, what"? The reply from the next man "What more"? it raised a few smiles at the time.

2 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Finally, at a slightly higher level, and not so much humourous, as unusual and one time where I was grateful that the referee did not apply the rules fully.

The game was Mangotsfield vs Gloucester, the score (at the time) was 1-2, Mangotsfield win a freekick in a dangerous position and Gloucester line up a five man wall. However the wall refused to go back the full 10 yards, and the referee booked all 5 players. They then shuffled back about 6 inches, but refused to go the full 10 yards. Instead of giving them all a second yellow, meaning 5 red cards for one side and causing the game to be abandoned, the referee told Mangotsfield to take the freekick as it was.

Mangotsfield went on to overturn the lead and win 5-4- if memory serves correct David Seal scored 4 of those.

Just separating this one to highlight it, but I think this was actually brilliant game management and use of common sense by the referee.

I know that if he had stuck to the rule book the game technically should have been abandoned due to 5 reds for one side leaving them with fewer than 7 on field players, and I believe when that happens then the guilty side forfeits the game (happy to be corrected), but throwing a game out after 30 minutes because the wall wouldn't go back the full distance would have been borderline farcical, even when correct.

March 1967 away to Spurs in the FA Cup (we lost 2-0 Jimmy Greaves got both goals the first a penalty.) 

So back then I'm 10 years old and as a special treat my dad painted my football rattle (who else had one?) with a fresh coat of red and white for the big game, there was a crowd of more than 54,500. I'd never seen so many people in one place!

Neither my dad or I realised that the paint wasn't quite dry.....so when my heroes took to the field and I gave my first fanatical rattle of the day everyone nearby got a little sprinkling of red and white paint!

About 10 years ago, against a team that plays in blue and white stripes (I want to say Huddersfield)

Game was high scoring 3-3/4-3 something like that, but with the away side going ahead each time.

Every time they scored this bloody huge bloke would take off his top and swing it around his head- cue the entirety of Ashton Gate to start shouting "You fat bastard"

6 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

March 1967 away to Spurs in the FA Cup (we lost 2-0 Jimmy Greaves got both goals the first a penalty.) 

So back then I'm 11 years old and as a special treat my dad painted my football rattle (who else had one?) with a fresh coat of red and white for the big game, there was a crowd of more than 54,500. I'd never seen so many people in one place!

Neither my dad or I realised that the paint wasn't quite dry.....so when my heroes took to the field and I gave my first fanatical rattle of the day everyone nearby got a little sprinkling of red and white paint!

red and white rattles, the good old days eh!!

Playoff season when we played at Sheffield United towards the end of the season.

Some fans were trying to heckle Paddy Kenny about his weight (whilst they tucked into a packet of pork pies) and said 'Oi Fatty, want a pork pie?', to which Kenny said 'yes please!' and took them up on their kind offer.

• Admin

My memory is shite, but quite a few years ago, we were fairly shite, as seems to be a ongoing issue and we were playing Huddersfield who were worse, they had a player who obviously wasn't part of any modern diet regime, we stuffed them and the song of the night was simple, it true "He's fat, he's round, his team are going down"

I appreciate it isn't much of a story, but it's true and gave some comfort on a cold night.

away at Luton, the City fans were verbally ripping in to a Yuppie sat outside the Chalets to the left. When the Yuppie had taken enough he gestured toward the City fans who greeted his gesture with howls of derision... apart from the bloke in front of me, who calmly tapped a Cop on the shoulder and explained what had happened. He was straight on his Radio and within seconds, much to the joy of us in the Oak Stand, the suited and booted charmer in the Chalets was led out of the ground. 

Also remember an away day in Brentford in the pouring rain. The away end was uncovered, and City fans were prancing round in Sombrero's and shorts getting soaked. Toward half time I went for a James and a fellow Red was buying tea at the tea bar. He must have had at least 9 cups of steaming brew balanced on a tray...made of cardboard...in the pouring rain....it doesn't take a genius to figure what happened next

Finally...away at Notts County one fine spring day (in Bristol). When we arrived in Nottingham  we got hailstones. I stood on an open terrace in jeans and T shirt freezing cold and soaking wet. I turned to my mate, and copped a hailstone direct in the eye (despite wearing specs). Laughter ensued and my mate asked if I was OK. I turned to confirm I was OK... and copped another direct hit in the eye

On the subject of players storming off, we were stuffing Chesterfield 4-0 at Saltergate on a Tuesday night when Dave Waller was subbed by the home side. He stormed off on the wrong side of the pitch and, as anyone who remembers the ground will know there was a long wall along the bottom of the stand (like the Dolman before the lower seats got put in) with a door in it. Waller disappears through this door and slams it behind him so hard it echoed right round the virtually empty stadium. Cue raucous cheers and raising of imaginary handbags from the 100 or so City that were there.

Archived