IGNORED

Still not replaced Kodjia.

JHAGa

Just now, robinreliant said:

It's the main reason why we are where we are. IMO anyway.

Agree. We carried on our initial momentum for a few games after he left but soon the cracks showed and boy were they big.

Abraham has been a great poacher but we just offer nothing going forward and rely on him to scrape a goal every so often, thus pressure on our defence for long periods. And when confidence goes, well, you lose 11 out of 12 games.

Our season was ruined the moment we sold him without a prepared back-up.

10 minutes ago, JHAGa said:

his goal record suggests he is just Bosnian Ryan Taylor.

Yes, but that's harsh as he hasn't been brought in to score shedloads of goals. Do you know how much one of those (players) costs? He's here to help relieve Tammy of some of the load, plain and simple. And so far he's doing a pretty good job. 

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I agree they are a different type of player, but fundamentally Kodjia was our main striker and primary source of goals. In that respect, we have replaced him. Your original post also referenced goalscoring records, so that is surely the point.

I agree, but in the overall team aspect we've never recovered from his loss and not lining up a replacement before his sale is still inexcusable. We are a significantly worse side than we were in August.

1 minute ago, EnclosureSurge said:

Yes, but that's harsh as he hasn't been brought in to score shedloads of goals. Do you know how much one of those (players) costs? He's here to help relieve Tammy of some of the load, plain and simple. And so far he's doing a pretty good job. 

It's not a criticism of Djuric. I'm just saying we haven't replaced Kodjia.

3 minutes ago, JHAGa said:

I agree, but in the overall team aspect we've never recovered from his loss and not lining up a replacement before his sale is still inexcusable. We are a significantly worse side than we were in August.

We got an offer we couldn't refuse that was broadly agreed to be good business for the club. We'd already brought in Tammy, who had already started scoring goals, and also added Engvall (yes I know that hasn't worked out well but we didn't know that at the time). So I don't agree that it was "inexcusable", as if players like Kodjia grow on trees. The replacement was already here.

18 minutes ago, JHAGa said:

Yes, we've brought in Djuric but he's a completely different type of player and his goal record suggests he is just Bosnian Ryan Taylor.

Unnecessarily harsh.

Ryan Taylor made his rep as the foil to Le Fondre at Rotherham, the latter scoring 50+ goals in under 100 games playing up top with Taylor - it was our bad buying him and thinking he'd net at this level, when his main strength was as the 'big man' to another striker.

The fact the Bosnian lad got two assists on his league debut, and immediately has got us playing two up top says a lot.

Plus, if we actually tried to play to his (and Tammy's TBF) strengths and got the ball wide and crossed it into the box, we might see a different story...

6 minutes ago, samo II said:

Unnecessarily harsh.

Ryan Taylor made his rep as the foil to Le Fondre at Rotherham, the latter scoring 50+ goals in under 100 games playing up top with Taylor - it was our bad buying him and thinking he'd net at this level, when his main strength was as the 'big man' to another striker.

The fact the Bosnian lad got two assists on his league debut, and immediately has got us playing two up top says a lot.

Plus, if we actually tried to play to his (and Tammy's TBF) strengths and got the ball wide and crossed it into the box, we might see a different story...

Again, it wasn't a criticism of Djuric. I'm saying he's a similar ilk to Taylor, a striker that won't score many but holds the ball up well. Not a replacement for Kodjia in the sense that he will 1) score less goals 2) not have the pace to stretch opposition defences which we have so badly been lacking.

12 minutes ago, JHAGa said:

Again, it wasn't a criticism of Djuric. I'm saying he's a similar ilk to Taylor, a striker that won't score many but holds the ball up well. Not a replacement for Kodjia in the sense that he will 1) score less goals 2) not have the pace to stretch opposition defences which we have so badly been lacking.

Can't disagree with any of that.

I hope (possibly against hope) that perhaps Engvall will develop into that type of player; seems to have shown something in what little game time he has had.

In fact, if we buy no other strikers this window, and Envgall doesn't go out on loan (which without any incoming forwards would be utterly bizarre), I'd be bemused if we didn't see more of him. 

How he's been managed from an outside-looking-in perspective is very odd; you have to hope there is a logic to it not clear from that viewpoint, and he'll come good.

9 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

We've replaced his goals with Tammy(you'd think he'll reach 20) but we haven't replaced his movement, creativity and pace. Although Djuric's hold up play is excellent I'd want to see Tammy playing alongside a striker like Engvall

We've had no pace to stretch an opposition team all season, Paterson is our only real pacey player off the top of my head. We're slow and predictable to defend against.

I was just too late to see Atyeo play and my first City centre forward was John Galley and he was here for five (?) years, but it seemed longer at the time. Then came Cheeseley who was set for a long career here until he was injured. Moving forward City obtain a goal scorer but it's for two years at the most; Bob Taylor, Jacki and more recently Baldock, Smith, Kodjia and Abraham.

Is part of City's problem being too many changes rather than build a settled team who know each other's game, strengths & weaknesses? Giving strength to my argument Cashley, Gow, Merrick etc were all at the club for at least ten years with four of them spent in the top flight. It was a relegation struggle in 71, but they and the club persevered leading to that promotion in 76.

2 hours ago, Shtanley said:

We've replaced his goals with Tammy(you'd think he'll reach 20) but we haven't replaced his movement, creativity and pace. Although Djuric's hold up play is excellent I'd want to see Tammy playing alongside a striker like Engvall

I often harp on about last season's home game v Ipswich which we won with two Flint goals, and people bemoaning that Kodjia did nothing that game, no shots, no nothing.

For me, he was brilliant that day, dragged the two Ipswich CBs all over the place with unselfish running, dragging them deep and allowing Pack and Smith to be as advanced as a pair I'd ever seen them.  Smith had three great chances only being denied by the excellent IT keeper.  We haven't said that before (caveat: Cheltenham JPT)!

That, for me, is what we've missed, pure pace and the ability to get in behind the opposition.

In my optimistic eyes I could see Djuric and Engvall being a good foil for each other....next season.

I think the subject of this topic is spot on. Kodjia's movement made us a dangerous threat going forward. Now, not trying to knock Tammy, but the majority of his goals are right footed from within 10 yards. If opposition teams keep our opportunities to outside the box they limit his chances of scoring. Agreed that when Kodjia left and other teams began to work Tammy out, our attacking element became predictable.

Also, now I got to get my tin hat on, I believe that unless Tammy starts to add more to his game, i.e. goals from outside the box, more headed goals, more goals where he beats the defender and scores, I believe that he will not be as great a threat in the Premiership that many believe he will be.

25 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I often harp on about last season's home game v Ipswich which we won with two Flint goals, and people bemoaning that Kodjia did nothing that game, no shots, no nothing.

For me, he was brilliant that day, dragged the two Ipswich CBs all over the place with unselfish running, dragging them deep and allowing Pack and Smith to be as advanced as a pair I'd ever seen them.  Smith had three great chances only being denied by the excellent IT keeper.  We haven't said that before (caveat: Cheltenham JPT)!

That, for me, is what we've missed, pure pace and the ability to get in behind the opposition.

In my optimistic eyes I could see Djuric and Engvall being a good foil for each other....next season.

Pace & playing with speed has been completely lacking for the past couple of months or more. We must be the only team that when we break we slow things down by stopping and passing backwards allowing the defenders time to reorganise.

I know a lack of confidence can affect players, but with the exception of Engvall to Paterson against Fleetwood, the only forward breaks we have seen recently have been Joe Bryan against Reading, Cardiff and Fleetwood. And guess what? We scored from 2 of those!

26 minutes ago, Im_over_ere said:

I think the subject of this topic is spot on. Kodjia's movement made us a dangerous threat going forward. Now, not trying to knock Tammy, but the majority of his goals are right footed from within 10 yards. If opposition teams keep our opportunities to outside the box they limit his chances of scoring. Agreed that when Kodjia left and other teams began to work Tammy out, our attacking element became predictable.

Also, now I got to get my tin hat on, I believe that unless Tammy starts to add more to his game, i.e. goals from outside the box, more headed goals, more goals where he beats the defender and scores, I believe that he will not be as great a threat in the Premiership that many believe he will be.

I agree with you. I've actually thought from the start that he's the sort of striker that would thrive on service from wide men who get to the byline. 

The majority of his goals are ' poached' in and around the 6 yard box,  LJ's tactics are that we play with no width, meaning you don't get the best out of the sort of striker TA is. 

2 minutes ago, shelts said:

He's a paid professional. Where do Villa play him?

They play him in a position that he can work the channels, not the touch line as LJ did in the first few games.

I don't get your point re paid professional, Flint is a paid pro, but you wouldn't play him as a left wing back. 

You play players in the positions where you will get the best out of them, where they are comfortable, and where they played when they impressed the club  enough to shell out the big transfer fee.

5 hours ago, shelts said:

It looked like Kodja wanted out by his body language and the club sold a player who wanted away. 

Suarez did the same at Liverpool and went on to have his best season. Costa will no doubt do the same this year.

Selling wasn't the problem. Selling him so late in the day without a replacement lined up was.

Just now, Portland Bill said:

They play him in a position that he can work the channels, not the touch line as LJ did in the first few games.

He wasn't really around long enough to moan but I get your point. Too much of that tinkering from our manager. 

2 minutes ago, JHAGa said:

Suarez did the same at Liverpool and went on to have his best season. Costa will no doubt do the same this year.

Selling wasn't the problem. Selling him so late in the day without a replacement lined up was.

U may well have a point . Don't think they saw it coming . Strange really . 

Archived