IGNORED

The Official Birmingham City v Bristol City Match Day Thread

Just now, Major Isewater said:

Drugs are  just great ,aren't they ?

They have their place.

Making peace with life helps as well. I just don't honestly see how we're that much better than at any other point since our return to the Championship. I'm not angry about it, it's just how I feel.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

You are the proud recipient of my first ' rubbish ' comment .

I think 054123 has a point...........it's a little glib to call it rubbish?    We have yet again dominated a game and taken the lead, but are unable to manage the game and take at least a point against a side who will do well to finish in the top 15.  We have a distinct lack of game changers now Tammy has departed, 2,000 fans have taken the time and trouble to support us, but we do not have the the wherewithal to produce a good enough performance to come away with a result against a very, very average side.  Bobby Reid flatters to deceive, and is not the answer to our long term scoring problems.  very disappointing...........but then again whats new?   Still it's early days, but we still need a reliable goal poacher if we are to finish anywhere near the play offs. We are most definitely a work in progress, who will not get relegated, but are miles away from the top six.  Mid table anonymity is our present destiny.

We've got a Head Coach for the training, Johnson. We are told that he is a top young coach, I leave that for others to decide. So leave him on the training ground to coach.

Now get an experienced Team Manager to run the team and decide on tactics before and during games. Pop the Head Coach in the stands to take notes.

At present, it seems to me that Mr Johnson, surrounded by even less experienced assistants, is out manoeuvred in games by experienced managers and does not appear to learn any lessons. At this level, almost all the managers are experienced.

• Like 6

I hate saying this but in a perverse way it's probably not a bad thing that we lost this one.........it will give LJ the opportunity to address the problems and introduce changes whilst the transfer window is still open and before the season starts getting too serious. We are still sitting in a pretty good position after two games.

• Like 1

City have just purchased another winger or wide man and Johnson's substitutions today were to bring on wingers. We seem to have abundance of wide players, to the point where they can barely be accommodated within the 18 man squad. I thought wingers liked wide pitches but Mr Johnson has had AG reduced in width. I am sure brighter posters than me will enlighten me as to the Baldrick like strategy involved.

• Like 3

60% possession and playing with a one man advantage for the final 10 minutes and we lose 2-1. 

In the first half a more controlled approach would have given us at least a 2 goal lead. 16 shots on goal only 3 on target!

We went at it like a bull at a gate. A first minute goal encouraged this approach and much good lead up play led to no reward.

Birmingham showed how to win a result even when you are up against it. Harry calmed them down at HT and patiently they wore us down like a good boxer that gets up off the canvas and wins on points. 

We should learn a hard lesson and remember we are not playing Manor Farm or even Plymouth or Barnsley every week.

9 minutes ago, jayjay said:

City have just purchased another winger or wide man and Johnson's substitutions today were to bring on wingers. We seem to have abundance of wide players, to the point where they can barely be accommodated within the 18 man squad. I thought wingers liked wide pitches but Mr Johnson has had AG reduced in width. I am sure brighter posters than me will enlighten me as to the Baldrick like strategy involved.

We've got 2 wingers. Brownhill and Paterson aren't strictly wingers but midfielders who can play wide. We don't really have that many at all.

Edited by Phileas Fogg

Anybody who has read my posts in other threads will see I sit in the Johnson Out camp.  However, after 2 games into the new season it is far too early to see where we are heading. My point being lets give LJ a bit of time and re visit the issue after say 10 games. At the end of the day I just want to see City achieve some success as I have no doubt you all do also.

• Like 11
6 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Anybody who has read my posts in other threads will see I sit in the Johnson Out camp.  However, after 2 games into the new season it is far too early to see where we are heading. My point being lets give LJ a bit of time and re visit the issue after say 10 games. At the end of the day I just want to see City achieve some success as I have no doubt you all do also.

I think most of us are in that camp although some people tend to blame Johnson/specific players instead of allowing the manager to have a go with the team. You CANNOT judge anything by 1 win and 1 loss (away at a bogey team I might add) in the league

• Like 2

I was there today. What I saw from the game was one team playing trying to play Football for 90 minutes and the other just about holding on playing a brand of long ball.
Lots of positives to take, on another day it would have been 4-2 to City. We will do better than last season I am sure of that, we never do well at Birmingham.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
2 minutes ago, BA14 RED said:

I was there today. What I saw from the game was one team playing trying to play Football for 90 minutes and the other just about holding on playing a brand of long ball.
Lots of positives to take, on another day it would have been 4-2 to City. We will do better than last season I am sure of that, we never do well at Birmingham.

...or away from home in general. Needs sorting, preferably on Tuesday.

• Like 2
59 minutes ago, Cheesleysmate said:

What concerns me is the inability to counteract an experienced manager's change in formation. It is something that Lee has to learn from. We are a better more balanced team than we were last year. It's one game. Let's judge after the team has had a chance to gel.

Me too. Aside from not owning up to making the wrong call in taking Brownhill off, LJ's analysis of the game on RB was spot-on. Trouble is it's no good being able to tell us what went wrong AFTER the game, he just doesn't seem to be able to get the message out (or make the right subs) during the game to correct things.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Cheesleysmate said:

What concerns me is the inability to counteract an experienced manager's change in formation. It is something that Lee has to learn from. We are a better more balanced team than we were last year. It's one game. Let's judge after the team has had a chance to gel.

Couldn't agree more. LJ always seems to get outwitted by the wily old foxes like Harry and Warnock. With all this sniffing around Flint and Bryan, sticking his beak in and trying to sign this Luton lad Vassell, and Birmingham beating us yesterday after tearing them a new one in the first half, Harry is the new Warnock for me, bloody hate the bloke now :grr: 

16 hours ago, Top Robin said:

I hate saying this but in a perverse way it's probably not a bad thing that we lost this one.........it will give LJ the opportunity to address the problems and introduce changes whilst the transfer window is still open and before the season starts getting too serious. We are still sitting in a pretty good position after two games.

To sign another ten or twelve like last summer.

We're sitting pretty after two games? Three points above the relegation zone!

We have just lost another game from a leading position. What's different?

There is a lot of tongue in cheek in these comments but to say we're sitting pretty is just burying one's head in the sand.

What will Tuesday evening bring? More of the same? Or actually start hanging on to points and don't start the Christmas Club in August.

Edited by cidered abroad
3 hours ago, glos old boy said:

Ok first you say we are better than we were last year, then closely follow it by saying its only one game :blink: 

The last bit "chance to gel" is really just an excuse after a loss, a bit like "fine lines" both of which goes for every team really and the bottom line is, as said before and was said by LJ is "we are not as good as we thought we were" presumably relating to the fact that we seem to run out of energy after a lot of running/passing.

Maybe the pre-season should have been against better teams to get us up to speed more? yet I seem to remember LJ saying also we are ready at the start of the season, when it seems we aren't....yet. :dunno:

I believe that we are a better team that we were last year. We have made signings and we are not heavily reliant on Tammy to score goals. We are scoring goals all over the pitch which can only be a good thing. 

We lost to Birmingham because unlike our previous 2 games we failed to make our chances count. We could have had a comfortable lead by half time yesterday but we didn't take the chances and as soon as Harry was able to get his team into the dressing room he was able to restructure and nullify our threat in the second half. 

More couldn't work out how to counteract Harry's change in formation and threw on the wingers in a desperate attempt to get back into the game. Taking off Brownhill was a mistake. He will learn in time how to deal with it, but for now when he comes up against a Harry or a Warnock they know how to tactically pick apart our threat.

29 minutes ago, Cheesleysmate said:

More couldn't work out how to counteract Harry's change in formation and threw on the wingers in a desperate attempt to get back into the game. Taking off Brownhill was a mistake. He will learn in time how to deal with it, but for now when he comes up against a Harry or a Warnock they know how to tactically pick apart our threat.

People would do well to remember that the two managers you mention are as near as dammit to double LJ's age and have been in the game all their working lives. Older hands than Lee have been outmanoeuvred by Harry and Colin and there is a reason the former was once a strong candidate for the England job. It's frustrating to lose a game we should have taken something from, but    both players and coach are still learning. One can envy the canny ways of a Redknapp or a Warnock, but I'm not sure I'd want a 70 year-old in charge at AG.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

People would do well to remember that the two managers you mention are as near as dammit to double LJ's age and have been in the game all their working lives. Older hands than Lee have been outmanoeuvred by Harry and Colin and there is a reason the former was once a strong candidate for the England job. It's frustrating to lose a game we should have taken something from, but    both players and coach are still learning. One can envy the canny ways of a Redknapp or a Warnock, but I'm not sure I'd want a 70 year-old in charge at AG.

That's correct. Lee needs to learn how to counteract. He will learn. Personally, I only care about City being the best that they can be whether that is with a 30 something year old or a 70 year old manager. I guarantee if we went down and Birmingham finished mid to top half of the table then we'd be wishing we had Harry or Warnock in charge.