IGNORED

The Official Birmingham City v Bristol City Match Day Thread

Back to last season for me today, a game we controlled and should have won against a piss poor team, missed chances and gradually we allowed them to bully themselves back into the game.

The only time we looked in danger was from our own making, over complicating, sloppy/casual midfield passes and shitty defending for both goals.

Reid could and should have scored a hatrick and Diedhiou a couple with more composure.

Brownhill was poor all game and rightly substituted, Patterson was ok going forward but a total liability defensively, Pack was below average all game, Smith was our best midfielder today.

I have to say it again O’Dowda is not championship ready.

Free kicks and crossing abysmal once more.

Early days I know but worryingly shades of last season all over this performance today for me.

• Like 1

Poor decision making..

Baker should have started.

Flint is paid to play not sit at home; he is a professional and should have played.

Poor decision to send our only spare striker out on loan.

2nd half was abysmal.. did LJ shout at someone at HT and upset the dressing room?

Is this the first sign of normal service being resumed by LJ? Hope not.

Really need to work on a 90 minute game plan. We were frankly poor against Barnsley in the second half of the first game this season and they are one of the weakest sides in the division. Birmingham show a more typical second tier side. I don't think they will be relegation fodder this season, with money to splash and a decent manager. 

Sounds like we were the better side in the first 45 and should have made it count a bit more, and then didn't respond well to Harry countering our high pressing game after half time.

Perhaps we needed a bit more savvy and a bit more firepower on the bench.  Brum fans seem to think they are hopeless going forward so conceding two there isn't ideal.

Our first tough game and it wasn't a disaster, encouraged by the commentary that we played good passing football at a high tempo in the first half.  Good to hear Reid and Diedhiou working well together.

Onwards and upwards.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Andy082005 said:

If people were really getting excited over beating a woeful Barnsley team and a team in the league below...they need more then a reality check .

Think today just proves that not a massive amount has changed to last season 

yes not on the pessimism front either.

Just now, Ivorguy said:

Tactically inept, then?  Sounds all too familiar

Yep. Most frustrating thing out of it all, is all the shit about being stronger because of last season and players like Brownhill, COD etc etc being better from the experience, well COD completely killed the game and we had 3 separate occasions where players were pushed off the ball or caught in possession. Aka nothing changed. 

• Like 1

Disappointing seeing we basically started the game with a goal start and played the last 15 against 10. Game gave us all the opportunity to take 3 points but we ended with 0. We really need another striker getting in to Reid's goal scoring positions. Tammy got into those position last season and as a striker put it away more often than not. Reid ( and I am not knocking him) doesn't seem to have that killer instinct because it seems he is being shoehorned into being a striker rather than his natural position. Anyway on to Tuesday, Brentford's defence  seems leaky so should get some chances to make up points there hopefully.

2 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

Unfortunately our dire away form will cost us again. Need a top keeper, Baker must start ahead of Hegeler who looks too sluggish. Also a powerful pacey striker. However we could play 11 v 7 at St Andrews and lose. Ultimate bogey team and we all knew it would happen. 

I assume you must've watched the game live to be able to give that sort of analysis?