IGNORED

Jonathan Kisolokele Leko - (season long loan)

Milan djurichimovic

1 hour ago, Chairman Mao said:

Reid is best through the middle. I suspect it is more likely to be a 4-2-3-1 with Reid as the CAM and Deidhou up top, supported by the wing options (O'Dowda, Eliason, Leko, Pato) and the midfield base of 2 from O'Neil, Smith, Pack and Brownhill. Woodrow and replace Deidhou and Taylor Reid if needed. Decent set up. Defence is no issue, Pissano, Bryan (if he keeps up this form), Flint, Baker, Wright, Kelly and Vyner is a top half back four.

"Defence is no issue".  Easy this football management lark isn't it.

2 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

Based on this You Tube footage Leko is very much right footed.

Yes I had a look at that earlier. I was referring to comments I read elsewhere that both Eliasson and Leko have worked on both wings and the latter also as a wing back; while not denying they probably feel more comfortable in left and right wings respectively it would give the club the option to switch them; hope that is the case.

30 minutes ago, Juan Kerr said:

We've got ourselves a good 'un, according to my Baggies mucker.

Same, "fast and fearless, likes to run at defenders" according to my Albion-obsessed pal. He was expecting Leko to feature this season and reckons he's only been allowed a loan due to Oliver Burke now in that position, and will definitely be wanting him back for the future. 

Sounds a much better signing than Woodrow, BUT a little perplexed why LJ wants another forward when Eliasson has not been given a chance in the League yet.

Also if often seems PL clubs demand their loans get a certain amount of game time, wonder if that applied with Leko?

COD dropping down the pecking order is fine by me as he promised much but delivers little

Signing Leko only makes sense to me if LJ is going to stop selecting Pack & Smith as the CM pairing, perhaps by moving Brownhill more central as has been suggested on this thread. That said I'd have preferred to see a quality all action midfielder like Jackson Irvine bought in, you can have all the quality you like up front, if they are getting no decent service from midfield, it's wasted.   

See what your saying but not every move is dependent on the two central midfield players.

Agree with playing Browhill in the middle love watching his energy but at this stage I don't see him hitting piercing passes between center back and full back for our wingers to run onto.

Those sort of passes seem more likely of Pack. Brownhill I'm sure will end up a great link up player , give and go type can see him scoring a goal or two in his time at the gate.

17 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

So in saying none can that writes off Leko already.

We get it, O'Dowda shagged your wife or something because you your best to avoid saying even neutral about him at all costs. He blows hot and cold, but when playing well is decent at this level (Huddersfield and Villa last season just 2 examples). He will improve with time too, but nah, write him off as well.

That leaves 2 more of the five you say we have, which I will have to guess who they are because our 3 wingers are covered already.

Patterson, comfortable on the wing but more of a central player.

Brownhill/Bryan

Brownhill is a CM who can play wide.

Bryan is a LB for us, and have you seen his crossing?

O'Dowda had two good games last season in your opinion. Not bad for nearly two million?

In my opinion he's been a massive disappointment. Mark Little skinned more fullbacks and put in More decent crosses than O'Dowda did last season. That's a fact!

1 hour ago, swanker said:

O'Dowda had two good games last season in your opinion. Not bad for nearly two million?

In my opinion he's been a massive disappointment. Mark Little skinned more fullbacks and put in More decent crosses than O'Dowda did last season. That's a fact!

I didnt say that.

I named 2 extremely good performances off the top of my head.

19 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

So in saying none can that writes off Leko already.

We get it, O'Dowda shagged your wife or something because you your best to avoid saying even neutral about him at all costs. He blows hot and cold, but when playing well is decent at this level (Huddersfield and Villa last season just 2 examples). He will improve with time too, but nah, write him off as well.

That leaves 2 more of the five you say we have, which I will have to guess who they are because our 3 wingers are covered already.

Patterson, comfortable on the wing but more of a central player.

Brownhill/Bryan

Brownhill is a CM who can play wide.

Bryan is a LB for us, and have you seen his crossing?

He blows hot and cold, correct.....90% cold, 5% warm 5% hot-ish.

Massive disappointment.

Not ready for regular first xi football at this level.

1 hour ago, swanker said:

I think in general he has been a disappointment. For the money we spent on him I just don't see a player with any confidence. He needs to go on loan to League 1. 

19 hours ago, havanatopia said:

As I understand it both Eliasson and Leko are dual footed. I would hope they are both ahead of O'Dowda otherwise some of us are gonna be questioning Johnson's sanity. Or maybe they have already.

Will we see more wing swopping to keep the opposition on their toes. I remember when McIndoe was here he was constantly changing flanks, confused the opposition.

Eliasson looked exciting at Watford, whipped a fair few crosses in and took corners. O'Dowda has international duty a couple of times a year so he isn't resting when some are so I expect that has been taken into account.

It seems Pulis might have noticed the way Tammy progressed here and wants the same for his player.

2 hours ago, swanker said:

O'Dowda did get more assists last season than Little though :blink:

Exciting signing. 

Am I the only one thinking we are trying to be like the Liverpool of the championship with regards to the way we could potentially set up? 

The pace, trickery and movement now up front is something to be excited about just as long as we get the midfield right. 

38 minutes ago, j1974 said:

Exciting signing. 

Am I the only one thinking we are trying to be like the Liverpool of the championship with regards to the way we could potentially set up? 

The pace, trickery and movement now up front is something to be excited about just as long as we get the midfield right. 

I'm not sure Diedhiou is up to the Firmino role, Reid might be though!

14 hours ago, mozo said:

Leaves us with 6 players competing for 3 positions (wings and no 10 spot). That's healthy. 

Just leaves Taylor and Đurić in a tricky spot.

For me Đurić when fit is straight back on the bench and replacing Fammy when he tires, and challenging him for the 'big man' role. I'm not sure Woodrow was anything more than short term. Agree about Taylor though: the one plus there is we know we can sell for a shed load more than we paid - ha ha!

What's with the O'Dowda bashing? He's only about 11. Out of all of our signings last summer he's definitely in the "one for the future" category. He's doing just fine: reliable when called upon and showing flashes of great potential. For someone at his age and stage in his development that'll do for me. Don't forget, he's only just starting his second season of decent coaching at a Championship club.

If O'Dowda had come through our youth set up, with no fee paid for him, I'm sure we'd all be singing his praises. I think sometimes we get a player's fee cloud our expectations of him, and I think some people have unrealistic expectations of our younger players. 

1 hour ago, DaveF said:

I'm not sure Diedhiou is up to the Firmino role, Reid might be though!

Agree with you regards Diedhiou but I think that there is a lot more to come from him as he gets use to the Championship and for a big fella he has good feet. With the options up front should give our opponents plenty to think about. 

1 hour ago, City Ben said:

What's with the O'Dowda bashing? He's only about 11. Out of all of our signings last summer he's definitely in the "one for the future" category. He's doing just fine: reliable when called upon and showing flashes of great potential. For someone at his age and stage in his development that'll do for me. Don't forget, he's only just starting his second season of decent coaching at a Championship club.

If O'Dowda had come through our youth set up, with no fee paid for him, I'm sure we'd all be singing his praises. I think sometimes we get a player's fee cloud our expectations of him, and I think some people have unrealistic expectations of our younger players. 

He's 22 with over 100 senior appearances and a full international.  He's not a bad player but he doesn't make much impact when called upon and doesn't look much different now to when he signed.  Not expecting him to immediately be Bale but I'd like to have seem him develop further than he has.

6 minutes ago, Nibor said:

He's 22 with over 100 senior appearances and a full international.  He's not a bad player but he doesn't make much impact when called upon and doesn't look much different now to when he signed.  Not expecting him to immediately be Bale but I'd like to have seem him develop further than he has.

OK I admit I got his age wrong ;)

Look I'm not going to come out swinging on his behalf, and fair enough maybe he *should* be doing better. But I do think he's developed since he's been here, and I do think it's too early to say that he's been a "disappointment". I'm still excited to see him progress with us. 

1 minute ago, City Ben said:

OK I admit I got his age wrong ;)

Look I'm not going to come out swinging on his behalf, and fair enough maybe he *should* be doing better. But I do think he's developed since he's been here, and I do think it's too early to say that he's been a "disappointment". I'm still excited to see him progress with us. 

Yeah I'm just making the point he's not some 18 year old in his first season.  I don't agree he's developed much but will be very pleased to see him progress.  He does seem to have the technical attributes and necessary pace and stamina, if anything I think it's confidence and composure to work on which may well come with time.

Archived