IGNORED

Jonathan Kisolokele Leko - (season long loan)

Milan djurichimovic

2 minutes ago, Nibor said:

Yeah I'm just making the point he's not some 18 year old in his first season.  I don't agree he's developed much but will be very pleased to see him progress.  He does seem to have the technical attributes and necessary pace and stamina, if anything I think it's confidence and composure to work on which may well come with time.

Don't forget that the majority of his appearances are no higher than league 2 level. It will have been a huge step up for him last season. He is developing.... Just not spectacularly...but there is some signs and  hopefully this year he will push on. A goal would certainly do him the world of good.

Bit too soon to be writing him off imo. A lot of Oxford fans were more disappointed to see him leave than roofe.

6 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Haven't read the entire thread, so apologies if its been said before, but ...

with a name like Leko, he must have electric pace.

Lightning fast.

Totally positive , no negatives and down-to-earth.

Let's give him a few games to fuse with the team and see watt your current thoughts are.

O'Dowda is much more effective on the left imho.  The partnership he'd started to build with Bryan was encouraging.  Got a lot to do, I admit, but playing him on the right where he can't get into his full stride, is hampering him.

I'm not against him starting left and switching periodically but I think he is one-dimensional when playing on the right.

I'm sure the coaching staff have their rationale.

On 28/08/2017 at 13:55, Davefevs said:

A squad us a modern day necessity and also a modern day conundrum. 

7 subs is part of that evil. Why not make it 4, and make the manager think about how he covers the eleven. It's too easy to pick 1GK, 2D, 2M and 2Fs. That in turn bloats your squad. 

I think I've gone away from trying to pick a starting eleven and now look on it as who's playing well, who's fit, who needs a kick up the backside etc. 

I would like to think that LJ has settled on a 442. Even that is fairly fluid, Reid dropping back to make it a pointed 4 when we haven't got the ball. 

We now have 3 genuine wide men and if you include Brownhill and Paterson that makes 5 who can play slightly different variants. Probably means the side might get picked for each match within reason. 

We finally have a well balanced squad and maybe we will start to see the benefits of being able to keep a starting eleven that is sharp and in form. I think the cup games have shown LJ that he has capable replacements. 

Not to mention we ask our "wide" players to do a lot of running. Not sustainable over 46 games and I expect Leko may play up top at certain points as well much like O'Dowda has to stretch tiring defenders. We do need a squad of players and we now have that. There will still be some trimming and yes, some players LJ brought in will probably leave. Only a shock because managers aren't usually around long enough to see players come and go. 

The club and LJ are still finding the right mix of players to be a successful team but all while looking for specific types of players. It's going to be hard to field a team of mostly under 25 year olds and be successful but we are getting closer to it. Signing Leko for me just means we aren't as short at CM as it frees Brownhill up to play there. Strengthening our bench. Also if we are chasing a game, we will have 2 of Pato, Eliasson, Leko and O'Dowda to bring on. Also the pace I think will help our away form. Don't think Watford was a coincidence. We started pacy players and defended as a unit but used that pace to get bodies forward and we scored because of it. Maybe I'm crazy, but I see a team starting to look competitive in all areas of the game. 

Archived