IGNORED

The official Bristol City FC v Stoke City FC in the Carabao Cup match day thread

Septic Peg

3 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

Good morrow maidens and sirs.

Stoke.

It's a shithole 'oop North'... alas, I can confirm. It's proper grim.

Tonight, we welcome yet another Prem team hoping to crush 'little Bristol City'. "Who the fewk are they?" was chorused in homes across the Trent when it was announced at stupid o'clock British time that they were on their travels down the M1 and M5...

So what can I tell you about Stoke itself?

It's most famous for its potteries which lends it's tradition to the nickname for Stoke City (The Potters - nope, nowt to do with that wizard kid who whooped that big baddie wizard).

Major potteries located in and around the Stoke area include Wedgewood, Royal Doulton, Royal Worcester, Wade, Spode and Moorcroft as well as many smaller scale ceramic makers. Plenty of choice as to which cup maker you drink your tea with your pinky out... in other industries, Bet365 is HQ'ed here (and the owners of Bet365 own Stoke City itself) as was the now defunct Phones4U (remember them? Can you do the weird hand gesture? I can... skills)

Stoke has it's own 'angel of the north' called Golden which looks more like a giant orange carrot covered in some odd fungus. It's made of steel. Pic below.

Famous peeps to hail from Stoke include Robbie 'I hate Gary Barlow' Williams (although he'll be an honorary BCFC fan tonight - he supports Stoke City neibs Port Vale), Lemmy from Motorhead (RIP) and Bob the Builder and serial shagger Neil Morrisey.

Fun fact: Stoke has their own weird dialect just like ours. Except ours makes sense. We call trainers daps because of daps being a type of shoe. Some of their strange words include;

• Nesh - meaning soft/tender but can also mean to get cold.
  • Slat - to throw
  • Shug - sugar as in a term of endearment.

They also coined the more famous term of endearment that is 'duck'. 

So if you meet some Stokies tonight, you'll understand them... you are most welcome.

On to the football.

Stoke City have some good and well known faces in their squad. The most obvious being the robotic bean pole Peter Crouch. He'll be looking over the top of the Lansdown Stand tonight if unselected. Jack Butland the Bristolian goalie may also feature as he 'comes home'. 

Ran by Leslie Hughes aka Mark Hughes (Some odd weird Welsh thing where they don't use their actual name), they trounced Rochdale 4-0 in the previous round. In the Prem so far, they've only beaten Arsenal (which tbf, is looking like a piece of piss for most clubs atm) and lost to Everton and Newcastle, whilst drawing with West Brom and the big boys Man U.

I feel a 3-2 win for Stoke tonight. We will give them a run for their money no doubt, but I can see Crouchy if he makes it onto the pitch, just being that little bit taller than our jumping machine Aden Flint.

Come on you reds...

Ps. Here's an article I found during my research. They want our Joe and are gonna boo Leko. Hmmmm... http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-city-v-stoke-city-493163

Golden_Sculpture_Stoke_on_Trent.jpg

And Slash from Guns'n'Roses.

Stoke is the devil's arsehole, but it's not quite "oop North". And I think you'll find "duck" is more Derbys/ Notts....used to work near Stoke, and can't remember it being used....."my mate" is common.

But good effort, Pegster.

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

Stuck in Scotland till tomorrow so no attendance from me this evening.

I predict the first side to score will win the game. No idea which side that will be.

I shall try and follow the game on here.

You and me both Rob, I am in Edinburgh. 

Does anyone know of any App that plays DAB radio? Everyone I have tried that claims it does, but I get that message when the commentary starts saying that they don't have the rghts for commentary online.....

12 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

You and me both Rob, I am in Edinburgh. 

Does anyone know of any App that plays DAB radio? Everyone I have tried that claims it does, but I get that message when the commentary starts saying that they don't have the rghts for commentary online.....

Nope. Spent three years at uni trying to find a way to listen to radio Bristol. You just have to refresh this thread every minute. It's quite exciting in its own way. When you refresh and see "21+ new replies" in the last minute your stomach drops and you know something big has happened. It's often a string of "ffs" and "bugger".

1 hour ago, Juan Kerr said:

And Slash from Guns'n'Roses.

Stoke is the devil's arsehole, but it's not quite "oop North". And I think you'll find "duck" is more Derbys/ Notts....used to work near Stoke, and can't remember it being used....."my mate" is common.

But good effort, Pegster.

Agree ' Ay oop me duck'  is the norm in Derby and Nottingham.

Never uttered in anger in Burslem .Never .

5 minutes ago, Robin101 said:

Nope. Spent three years at uni trying to find a way to listen to radio Bristol. You just have to refresh this thread every minute. It's quite exciting in its own way. When you refresh and see "21+ new replies" in the last minute your stomach drops and you know something big has happened. It's often a string of "ffs" and "bugger".

I have started watching the Twitter feed on the main site, that's the best option. Do you think SkySports News will be showing the goals as they go in tonight?

5 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

Stoke has it's own 'angel of the north' called Golden which looks more like a giant orange carrot covered in some odd fungus. It's made of steel. Pic below.

I've just had to google that to see what the heck you were on about. Embarrassingly, not only is it an actual thing, it's situated about a mile from where I lived for most of my life. I don't think it's a statue that's exactly ingrained itself into the subconscious of many Stokies as it's in the middle of nowhere on the outskirts of a deserted mine works. So dunna try to taunt any of 'em with it tonight. They won't have a clue what you're on about. :read:

Interesting fact. The site where the statue stands is right next to a massive mound of land that used to be known as Chatterley Whitfield Tip. The tip was literally the largest slag heap in Europe. You won't get this sort of info anywhere else.    

Betcha glad I joined now aren't you! :dancing6:

5 minutes ago, Dreamkiller said:

Interesting fact. The site where the statue stands is right next to a massive mound of land that used to be known as Chatterley Whitfield Tip. The tip was literally the largest slag heap in Europe. You won't get this sort of info anywhere else.    

Isn't it now just known as "Stoke"..?! 

5 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

Good morrow maidens and sirs.

Stoke.

It's a shithole 'oop North'... alas, I can confirm. It's proper grim.

Tonight, we welcome yet another Prem team hoping to crush 'little Bristol City'. "Who the fewk are they?" was chorused in homes across the Trent when it was announced at stupid o'clock British time that they were on their travels down the M1 and M5...

So what can I tell you about Stoke itself?

It's most famous for its potteries which lends it's tradition to the nickname for Stoke City (The Potters - nope, nowt to do with that wizard kid who whooped that big baddie wizard).

Major potteries located in and around the Stoke area include Wedgewood, Royal Doulton, Royal Worcester, Wade, Spode and Moorcroft as well as many smaller scale ceramic makers. Plenty of choice as to which cup maker you drink your tea with your pinky out... in other industries, Bet365 is HQ'ed here (and the owners of Bet365 own Stoke City itself) as was the now defunct Phones4U (remember them? Can you do the weird hand gesture? I can... skills)

Famous peeps to hail from Stoke include Robbie 'I hate Gary Barlow' Williams (although he'll be an honorary BCFC fan tonight - he supports Stoke City neibs Port Vale), Lemmy from Motorhead (RIP) and Bob the Builder and serial shagger Neil Morrisey.

Fun fact: Stoke has their own weird dialect just like ours. Except ours makes sense. We call trainers daps because of daps being a type of shoe. Some of their strange words include;

• Nesh - meaning soft/tender but can also mean to get cold.
  • Slat - to throw
  • Shug - sugar as in a term of endearment.

They also coined the more famous term of endearment that is 'duck'. 

So if you meet some Stokies tonight, you'll understand them... you are most welcome.

On to the football.

Stoke City have some good and well known faces in their squad. The most obvious being the robotic bean pole Peter Crouch. He'll be looking over the top of the Lansdown Stand tonight if unselected. Jack Butland the Bristolian goalie may also feature as he 'comes home'. 

Ran by Leslie Hughes aka Mark Hughes (Some odd weird Welsh thing where they don't use their actual name), they trounced Rochdale 4-0 in the previous round. In the Prem so far, they've only beaten Arsenal (which tbf, is looking like a piece of piss for most clubs atm) and lost to Everton and Newcastle, whilst drawing with West Brom and the big boys Man U.

I feel a 3-2 win for Stoke tonight. We will give them a run for their money no doubt, but I can see Crouchy if he makes it onto the pitch, just being that little bit taller than our jumping machine Aden Flint.

Come on you reds...

Ps. Here's an article I found during my research. They want our Joe and are gonna boo Leko. Hmmmm... http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-city-v-stoke-city-493163

Isn't Stoke also generally regarded as having the ugliest women in Britain..?

1 hour ago, cheshire_red said:

@Septic Peg Stoke is a long way from the M1, try the M6.

@Norn Iron My youngest daughter lives in Dresden, lovely little mews house in the Conservation area a stones throw from Longton Park.

22 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Agree ' Ay oop me duck'  is the norm in Derby and Nottingham.

Never uttered in anger in Burslem .Never .

Yo Cheshire Red, we lived in the next 'village' to Dresden called Blurton ie just behind the Stoke City away stand!

Major, I have to agree and disagree. You're right, it's never said in anger. Derby/Nottingham people say "All right me duck" whilst hardcore Stokies say "All right Duck." 

14 minutes ago, Dreamkiller said:

I've just had to google that to see what the heck you were on about. Embarrassingly, not only is it an actual thing, it's situated about a mile from where I lived for most of my life. I don't think it's a statue that's exactly ingrained itself into the subconscious of many Stokies as it's in the middle of nowhere on the outskirts of a deserted mine works. So dunna try to taunt any of 'em with it tonight. They won't have a clue what you're on about. :read:

See? We are providing you Stokies with an education too... :P

5 hours ago, EmersonsRed said:

Nice thread Peg. 

Not too bothered about tonight's result. They'll play a strong side I'd imagine. I know Kurt Zouma has been confirmed as playing already, which is a bit of a nightmare as he is very, very good. Probably see the likes of Bojan etc too. 

Will be a tough game. Looking forward to seeing the likes of Eliasson though. Hope we give it a good go, but no issues if we are beaten. 

coyr

Nothing like a bit of 'Dunkirk' spirit

Archived