IGNORED

Clubs banning people taking laptops into grounds...

LondonBristolian

Do I remember reading somewhere that at least one club - possibly us - had banned fans taking laptops into grounds? If so, is it something most clubs are doing now?

The reason I ask is I tend to bring my laptop with me to use on the train on any long-ish distance trips and am planning to bring it to Norwich and Ipswich but want to be sure I'm not going to find I'm banned if I do so! 

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

Do I remember reading somewhere that at least one club - possibly us - had banned fans taking laptops into grounds? If so, is it something most clubs are doing now?

The reason I ask is I tend to bring my laptop with me to use on the train on any long-ish distance trips and am planning to bring it to Norwich and Ipswich but want to be sure I'm not going to find I'm banned if I do so! 

I'd definitely check LB as there was definitely something about lap tops and was to do with a security / terrorism alert / fear at the time IIRC

• Admin

I'll have mine with me for the Bolton game next week so will be interested to hear the response to this

• Admin

Looks like it was a while ago @LondonBristolian can only find Man Utd and West Ham raising it

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-28773897

http://www.claretandhugh.info/what-you-can-and-cant-bring-to-the-london-stadium/

I took mine in to Ashton Gate a number of times last season as was travelling from London and doing work on the train. I am pretty sure I also took mine in to West Ham last season along with a number of other clubs and never had a problem. 

I think United had grounds for stopping ipads as people were filming and taking pictures during the game which given the size of some of them means the person behind can't see. 

3 minutes ago, Robin TBW said:

I don't mind people taking stuff in the ground at all, what gets me is when the woman or kid in front of me is playing games on the iPad during the match... Even worse when they have the sound on. 

I don't mind that, you try getting a young kid to pay attention for 90+ minutes these days

6 minutes ago, Robin TBW said:

I don't mind people taking stuff in the ground at all, what gets me is when the woman or kid in front of me is playing games on the iPad during the match... Even worse when they have the sound on. 

Championship Manager no doubt!

11 hours ago, Robin TBW said:

can't understand people at concerts, pay 50 quid for a ticket and spend all their time staring at a 3 inch screen, madness.

16 hours ago, Monkeh said:

I don't mind that, you try getting a young kid to pay attention for 90+ minutes these days

I take my iPad for that exact reason, there is no way at the moment of me being able to keep my daughter occupied for The whole 90. Much better to take the iPad so I get to watch the game!!

17 hours ago, Monkeh said:

What about people try to get them to go without looking at a screen for 90+. If they get bored talk to them, distract them. it's worked for years before people had phones etc. It sickens me to see babies playing on phones whilst being wheeled about in their buggies. 

Rant over. Am I alone in this?

12 minutes ago, RedM said:

What about people try to get them to go without looking at a screen for 90+. If they get bored talk to them, distract them. it's worked for years before people had phones etc. It sickens me to see babies playing on phones whilst being wheeled about in their buggies. 

Rant over. Am I alone in this?

It's a generation thing M, we have moved on from the grunts of generation x and now in generation me, where everyone wants something yesterday and peoples attention span is as long as.............OOOOOOooooOO a red car

22 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Back to the question at hand, I had the same issue at Brentford. Knew I'd be arriving with a bag and laptop and rang their office a couple of days before to get guidance - just do the same. (Brentford's policy was I was allowed the bag after a search, what ours has now evolved to).

More than likely allowed but if not some clubs will store for you - just ring and check

23 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

planning to bring it to Norwich and Ipswich but want to be sure I'm not going to find I'm banned if I do so! 

Helpfully, this letter appears in the latest issue of When Saturday Comes

image.jpeg.008315045e0933572c6ac3292f8f125c.jpeg

1 hour ago, Olé said:

Helpfully, this letter appears in the latest issue of When Saturday Comes

image.jpeg.008315045e0933572c6ac3292f8f125c.jpeg

Cheers! Have found their list:

http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/norwich-city-announce-extra-security-measures-at-carrow-road-for-upcoming-season-1-5125180

Looks like I'm fine. As @lgbbcf says, there's so many reasons why somebody may legitimately need to bring a laptop that I can't imagine clubs are generally going to ban them...

Archived