IGNORED

SO WHO'S THE WEAK LINK?

generation1

Been thinking it over trying to work out where we would need to recruit in January if we were in a good position.Problem is I can not make up my mind where we are at our weakest .I cannot remember a more balanced squad in all the years I have been coming here.

there is plenty of choice in defence, plenty of wide options in midfield ( maybe limited choices in the centre ) and we seem to have striking options that can get us the goals.

so I am interested in others opinions. where do you think we lack? what type of player? and within a sensible range who would you like to fill that gap.

over to you

I would suggest an alternative to Pisano at right back and look to loan Vyner out. While he's very promising he's making some mistakes which will get punished with regular football at our level. Otherwise its just a case of continuing to highlight players who will improve us in all positions. 

3 minutes ago, Eastside Moonwalker said:

Frankie's kicking needs work and needs to improve A LOT. Other than that we're good for now, although an injury to RB and playing Vyner there i'd be a little worried, I guess Wright has been playing there recently though? 

Indeed. In a weird way I think Pisano's injury has been helpful in meaning Wright, Flint and Baker are all getting to start regularly. With everyone fully fit there will be players who might get frustrated at not getting onto the pitch...

1 hour ago, Alessandro said:

Taking nothing away from Pack, Smith and Brownhill, but i'd be looking for a classy game changing centre mid, especially going forwards.

Definitely this. As good as all three are, they did find a 46 game slog very tough last season and went through long periods of patchy form. It would be nice to see another experienced head there in the Hartley mould to help them out. Other than that, I'd be looking to get one or two out, rather than in. 

1 hour ago, ZiderEyed said:

Few more promising youngsters for the development squad, but bar no major slip ups, I don't think we need anyone. Perhaps line up another winger for when Leko is off.

We have Opi Edwards in the U 23's who is very quick and very similar in build to Junior Bent. But I've been pleased with what little I've seen from Eliasson. O'Dowda is improving all the time and may soon also learn how to play a final killer pass instead of running into massed defence. 

1 hour ago, hodge said:

I would suggest an alternative to Pisano at right back and look to loan Vyner out. While he's very promising he's making some mistakes which will get punished with regular football at our level. Otherwise its just a case of continuing to highlight players who will improve us in all positions. 

Can't we just accept that Pisano is a decent enough right back and be happy with what we've got right now.

It's now a very decent squad so let's see where it takes us.

1 hour ago, Alessandro said:

Taking nothing away from Pack, Smith and Brownhill, but i'd be looking for a classy game changing centre mid, especially going forwards.

Exactly what I was about to post.

Difficulty is that all teams want the same type of player. If one becomes available he won't be cheap.

44 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

We have Opi Edwards in the U 23's who is very quick and very similar in build to Junior Bent. But I've been pleased with what little I've seen from Eliasson. O'Dowda is improving all the time and may soon also learn how to play a final killer pass instead of running into massed defence. 

Have you watched much of him? I've heard of him but I must admit I know very little about his game. There's Jonny Smith as well but his loan indicates he probably isn't ready yet.

3 minutes ago, deadredfred said:

Hegeler?

I thought of him as well. 

No doubt he's a good player but whether he's got the type of ability required to play role is debatable.

Its likely that LJ has considered it a possibility. He played in midfield last season but that was before Hegelar had acclimatised to the speed and physically of the Championship. Now with more experience he could be given more opportunities in there.

Archived