Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Sign in to follow this  
HarriboSauce

RIP Darren Hawkins. UPDATE: Link to Just giving fundraising page added

On 26/10/2017 at 14:43, Busterrimes said:

RIP Darren.

For a moment I got him confused with Nigel Hawkins another youngster but from the 80s instead

Nigel is very much alive and kicking. Currently running the family business.

Very articulate guy with s great sense of humour.

11 hours ago, Nube Rojo said:

went to his funeral today, just cannot believe how many people were there, one hell of a send-off for such a talent - RIP Darren

It's rare it is for someone to be loved by both sides of the city. 

But Darren was - as proven by Gary Owers, Ed Ware and others donating and by the turnout.

Glad to hear he had a good send off.

Bumping this - almost 40% of the way.  

4 children buried their father yesterday, hopefully we can all dig deep to ensure that Christmas does happen for them, even with the most important missing from the table.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Nube Rojo said:

went to his funeral today, just cannot believe how many people were there, one hell of a send-off for such a talent - RIP Darren

Me too, what an amazing turnout, showed how much he was loved by many.

Also what great words from @Lympstone1 something no parent should have to go through :crying:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Thanks guys for you kind words and all that attended the funeral. God that was hard - I carried the  coffin in with my other 2 sons, wrote the service and delivered the eulogy as wanted to give Darren the best send off ever. Amazing overwhelming turn out of around 400 and it’s brilliant to see both clubs united behind the family and get great results today. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Havanatopia.

Yes we have very fond memories of his playing games - he was a remarkable talent that many believe had the ability to play at the highest level if it wasn't for his demons. 

Sorry to unashamedly bump this thread but looking for a final push towards Chrismas to try and be able to give the children the best time possible under the tragic circumstances. 

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/chris-hawkins-1?utm_id=2&utm_term=wa4jbYArd

Edited by Lympstone1
  • Like 5

Hi all 
Just a quick update on Darren's family position. 
First and foremost I have to say I am truly overwhelmed with your generousity to those that have given to the JustGiving page and those that have offered such kind words. I can only say you are all marvellous and I thank you all from the bottom of my heart.
It was hard to post my initial appeal as not something I would do but the vicar suggested I did it on all the forums of the clubs Darren played for just to see if we could get people to reach out and support the children. It's hard to define who needs help the most when tragedies occur as there are so many deserving cases. Some Rovers fans put a hamper together for the children and it was a delight to see the children's faces when I delivered it this morning. Their mother was also overwhelmed as she had no idea about it or our efforts on the JustGiving page so I forwarded her £1k from the fund so she can get gifts for the children from Darren so they can  at least open something from the Dad on Christmas Day - it won't replace their Dad being there on then day or going forth but it will enable them to have something to remember and treasure from him on the day. 
The fund runs to March 31st if some want to still give before I close it. 
Thank you once again for all the support you have given Darren's family and I wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and hope that 2018 is a special year you yourselves and loved ones. 
Thank you again 
www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/chris-hawkins-1?utm_id=2&utm_term=wa4jbYArd

Hi all

Sorry for bumping but there is a great event happening at Manor Farm's The Creek ground next Sunday April 29th which should interest all football, rugby and cricket fans and their families. 

The Farm are playing Bishop Sutton in a Memorial benefit game for Darren ko 14:00 with guest players performing - some of these will be ex City players. The event which will include a football auction, raffle,  sideshows, bouncy castle etc which all kick off from 12:00

it would be great to see people there 

thank you 

Edited by Lympstone1

1 hour ago, Lympstone1 said:

Hi all

Sorry for bumping but there is a great event happening at Manor Farm's The Creek ground next Sunday April 29th which should interest all football, rugby and cricket fans and their families. 

The Farm are playing Bishop Sutton in a Memorial benefit game for Darren ko 14:00 with guest players performing - some of these will be ex City players. The event which will include a football auction, raffle,  sideshows, bouncy castle etc which all kick off from 12:00

it would be great to see people there 

thank you 

I’m off FB now - found myself arguing with strangers!

Can’t get to The Creek - how can people bid? For what it’s worth the boy now has a signed framed City shirt - charity auction on eBay not so long ago.

£400 was the winning bid. Hope you get much more.

Sorry for bumping this thread but I know there are a number of fans that also support Manor Farm FC on here and I wondered if you might want to attend this benefit game v Bishop Sutton on behalf of Darren's children.

The event kicks off at 12 on Sunday 29th and I believe a few city veterans might be guesting in the match that kicks off at 14:00.

There is to be a football memorabilia auction, sideshows and raffle so plenty for all the family to enjoy alongside the match. 

Sorry for bumping this thread but I know there are a number of fans that also support Manor Farm FC on here and I wondered if you might want to attend this benefit game v Bishop Sutton on behalf of Darren's children.

The event kicks off at 12 on Sunday 29th and I believe a few city veterans might be guesting in the match that kicks off at 14:00.

There is to be a football memorabilia auction, sideshows and raffle so plenty for all the family to enjoy alongside the match.