Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

054123

Pre Match Atmosphere v Manchester

Recommended Posts

 

One of my favourite videos of City on YouTube. 

We didn't need a ridiculously loud announcer, needless music, just a packed Ashton Gate.

I know it won't happen, as football is different these days, but imagine if everyone was in 10 mins before just beltong out 'come on you reds' with random out bursts of 'bring on the city'.

Last time it felt a little like it was against Rovers in the East end. The sininging whilst wiring outside, and just listening to the noise the other side of the fencing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amazing, and it looks better then than the Mem does today!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking e the idea for many reasons:

we have time to sort it

The Televised games usually have empty grounds 15 mins before K. O so we can make it very different and part of the commentary

We all want to be parked very early and in the ground spending money in the ground rather than battling with traffic issues

We did a good job v Palace

We should make our atmosphere different from other clubs/ grounds eg the bounce, old songs other TV watchers will recognise eg Bring on the City, I smell a smell, if you all hate Rovers clap yer hands, we will follow the City, 90s songs, Walk On,  etc

Time to get song sheets and a 7.30 arrival out on social media to pack all of the ground

We don't want empty seats at kick off on TV

We know enough commentators to give us a good Big Up and reference One Team (of relevance) in  Bristol etc etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, 054123 said:

 

One of my favourite videos of City on YouTube. 

We didn't need a ridiculously loud announcer, needless music, just a packed Ashton Gate.

I know it won't happen, as football is different these days, but imagine if everyone was in 10 mins before just beltong out 'come on you reds' with random out bursts of 'bring on the city'.

Last time it felt a little like it was against Rovers in the East end. The sininging whilst wiring outside, and just listening to the noise the other side of the fencing.

Some day that, despite the result. Was hanging from the previous night, Bruno v Tyson iirc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone from before my time fancy typing out a couple of old City songs we may not all have heard?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The pre match atmosphere everywhere has died because of all seated stadia where fans wait in the concourse chatting and drinking.

Will it return? Unlikely so if fans want an atmosphere, we have to get in there earlier than we now do.

And cut out the crap music over a tannoy system that we cant understand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

We should make our atmosphere different from other clubs/ grounds eg the bounce, old songs other TV watchers will recognise eg Bring on the City, I smell a smell, if you all hate Rovers clap yer hands, we will follow the City, 90s songs, Walk on,  etc

"Walk on" as in "You'll Never Walk Alone??!!!! You think that would make us 'different' ?!!! Liverpool?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bristol traffic notwithstanding, the ideal should be ground as full as possible 10, 15 mins pre game.

Sing, chant- make as much noise as you can.

The last excellent one was the Bristol derby of 2013  IMO. Tremendous- wouldn't it be great if football was like that every week?

And please if you're reading this @Mkelly consider cutting out pregame music, especially for that one. It can really dull, dilute, perhaps kill an atmosphere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 054123 said:

 

One of my favourite videos of City on YouTube. 

We didn't need a ridiculously loud announcer, needless music, just a packed Ashton Gate.

I know it won't happen, as football is different these days, but imagine if everyone was in 10 mins before just beltong out 'come on you reds' with random out bursts of 'bring on the city'.

Last time it felt a little like it was against Rovers in the East end. The sininging whilst wiring outside, and just listening to the noise the other side of the fencing.

Was an amazing day. Being a short arse teenager at the time, I don’t think my feet touched the ground much in the east end, packed like sardines that day!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

15 minutes of "You'll never walk alone" before the match sounds good to me.

Back in the days of Gerry Gow and Norman Hunter, it was more like "You'll never walk again" though.

you' ll never walk alone ?

Seriously ?

The you' ll never walk alone,  that is the Liverpool anthem ?

 

:blink: :blink: :blink:

 

that would just about label us around the country as completely and utterly tinpot 

Roll on January

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In addition to noise what I want to see is a City player - ANY City player crash in to the first tackle with as much grunt as possible.

A big shin scraping, elbow in ribs clattering that will leave the Manure 'ucker gasping.

Worth a bolloxing from the ref.

"So mate - you are on 50K a week - you're going to bloody well earn it tonight"

Put the fear of god into them, and watch them fold like a soggy pack of cards.

Most of their players won't want to know after that.

 

Just the once  - but  scare the bejesus out of them, and then play the football we are capable of playing.

I suspect quite a few of the manure team will be more concerned about not getting hurt, than the quarters of a comp, that if they reach the final, they will be replaced with a much more senior first 11.

Just my 2p

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SX227 said:

In addition to noise what I want to see is a City player - ANY City player crash in to the first tackle with as much grunt as possible.

A big shin scraping, elbow in ribs clattering that will leave the Manure 'ucker gasping.

Worth a bolloxing from the ref.

"So mate - you are on 50K a week - you're going to bloody well earn it tonight"

Put the fear of god into them, and watch them fold like a soggy pack of cards.

Most of their players won't want to know after that.

 

Just the once  - but  scare the bejesus out of them, and then play the football we are capable of playing.

I suspect quite a few of the manure team will be more concerned about not getting hurt, than the quarters of a comp, that if they reach the final, they will be replaced with a much more senior first 11.

Just my 2p

 

Unfortunately, there is no ref these days that allows any hint of a physical game go unpunished. Especially not when you have the fairies of the prem up against it. 

They'll be like bambi on ice all night if we try that and the ref will buy every single 'foul'. 

The game will be a whinge-fest and very stop start. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ZiderEyed said:

Someone from before my time fancy typing out a couple of old City songs we may not all have heard?

You're going home in a f'kin ambulance. 

Gibbo, Gibbo, Gibbo, Gibbo, Gibbo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, SX227 said:

In addition to noise what I want to see is a City player - ANY City player crash in to the first tackle with as much grunt as possible.

A big shin scraping, elbow in ribs clattering that will leave the Manure 'ucker gasping.

Worth a bolloxing from the ref.

"So mate - you are on 50K a week - you're going to bloody well earn it tonight"

Put the fear of god into them, and watch them fold like a soggy pack of cards.

Most of their players won't want to know after that.

 

Just the once  - but  scare the bejesus out of them, and then play the football we are capable of playing.

I suspect quite a few of the manure team will be more concerned about not getting hurt, than the quarters of a comp, that if they reach the final, they will be replaced with a much more senior first 11.

Just my 2p

 

Let your man know you're there early on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great video. The noise was ear-splitting in the East End that day.

Completely agree that pre-match music, especially at the high volume it’s usually played at, can completely kill an atmosphere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, The turtle said:

And they came this close!! 

Some atmosphere at that!!

 

It’s still heartbreaking to see that shot fail to creep in. I’ve always been convinced that we’d have beaten Luton in the final had we got there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

So close. Forget a lot of games over the years. But not that one . Sat on the wall next to the park end . Great days . How it’s changed 

Certainly has changed, it is no secret that I hate what football and Saturdays at the game has become....the latest flag risk assessment just about sums it up. Great days have gone for me too much change. :sad26:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the best atmosphere's in the recent past was Nicky Maynards return with West Ham, even their fans were surprised at the vitriolic reception he received.

Note to the club, a crowd atmosphere can't be manufactured ,it happens - advise everyone to be in their seats a little earlier than usual turn off the music and listen to the noise .

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That roar when City emerge from the tunnel makes ME want to run my bollocks off for the next hour and a half and I'm watching it on an iPad 27 years later in my living room. The adrenaline rush for the players must've been amazing.

Thats what the atmosphere should be like at a football match and its one of the things that get kids hooked in the first place. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

That roar when City emerge from the tunnel makes ME want to run my bollocks off for the next hour and a half and I'm watching it on an iPad 27 years later in my living room. The adrenaline rush for the players must've been amazing.

Thats what the atmosphere should be like at a football match and its one of the things that get kids hooked in the first place. 

Ruined by the modern day necessity for the teams to run out together, and don't get me started on to the infuriating pre match hand shaking ritual. Or indeed the pre match music and the frenetic announcers screaming their unwanted nonsense.

Forest run out - 'Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo' 'W*nkers' '**** O** Forest' etc. A torrent of abuse. 

City's heroes emerge from the tunnel to an ear shattering roar - what a welcome, utter pandemonium.

The scene is set for battle, no quarter asked or given, with the home fans, as one and from all sides, ferociously hostile to the opposition and 100% behind City from the off.

What an atmosphere - just fantastic, spine tingling and genuinely makes the hairs stand up on the back of your neck all these years later.

Those of us at AG that day will never forget it but can only look back and rue the loss of such unbridled noise, passion, and genuine excitement bordering on frenzy -  very sadly it can never be recreated now imo. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Ruined by the modern day necessity for the teams to run out together, and don't get me started on to the infuriating pre match hand shaking ritual. Or indeed the pre match music and the frenetic announcers screaming their unwanted nonsense.

Forest run out - 'Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo' 'W*nkers' '**** O** Forest' etc. A torrent of abuse. 

City's heroes emerge from the tunnel to an ear shattering roar - what a welcome, utter pandemonium.

Spot on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Ruined by the modern day necessity for the teams to run out together, and don't get me started on to the infuriating pre match hand shaking ritual. Or indeed the pre match music and the frenetic announcers screaming their unwanted nonsense.

Forest run out - 'Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo' 'W*nkers' '**** O** Forest' etc. A torrent of abuse. 

City's heroes emerge from the tunnel to an ear shattering roar - what a welcome, utter pandemonium.

The scene is set for battle, no quarter asked or given, with the home fans, as one and from all sides, ferociously hostile to the opposition and 100% behind City from the off.

What an atmosphere - just fantastic, spine tingling and genuinely makes the hairs stand up on the back of your neck all these years later.

Those of us at AG that day will never forget it but can only look back and rue the loss of such unbridled noise, passion, and genuine excitement bordering on frenzy -  very sadly it can never be recreated now imo. :(

Never got to see AG like that sadly. 

My earliest memories of pre-match at AG is an absurd announcer embarrassingly urging at each stand individually to sing 'Come on you Reds'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

One of the best atmosphere's in the recent past was Nicky Maynards return with West Ham, even their fans were surprised at the reception he received.

Note to the club, a crowd atmosphere can't be manufactured ,it happens - advise everyone to be in their seats a little earlier than usual turn off the music and listen to the noise .

 

But don't make a big deal of it and announce it over the PA!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Never got to see AG like that sadly. 

My earliest memories of pre-match at AG is an absurd announcer embarrassingly urging at each stand individually to sing 'Come on you Reds'.

The guy from the radio, sounds similar to what we have now...

thank god it stopped when Dave Lloyd took over the mic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AshtonPark said:

The guy from the radio, sounds similar to what we have now...

thank god it stopped when Dave Lloyd took over the mic

Can we get him back for a guest spot? :fear:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 15 seconds before kick off then the roar when the first touch is taken.

It's why I fell in love with football.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Controversial perhaps but I’d think about scrapping ‘one for the Bristol City’.

I know it’s tradition, but no one sings it when it’s played or during the game. Doesn’t build atmosphere as it’s too slow especially considering no one sings along.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

Love it. 

The management need to watch that. Many times. 

It doesn't fit the BCFC "DNA" or the desired demographic of fan sought by the club now. Sit on your hands get your faces painted like Jon boy and watch 2,600 Man U fans deafen the ground whilst stood up for 90 minutes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Controversial perhaps but I’d think about scrapping ‘one for the Bristol City’.

I know it’s tradition, but no one sings it when it’s played or during the game. Doesn’t build atmosphere as it’s too slow especially considering no one sings along.

 

Agreed, its a shit song.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Loon plage said:

Agreed, its a shit song.

In all my time attending I've never heard fans sing it spontaneously. There are plenty of better Wurzels songs to use.

I've always liked the idea of us running out to or using Massive Attack songs. Moody, atmospheric and Bristolian.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

That roar when City emerge from the tunnel makes ME want to run my bollocks off for the next hour and a half and I'm watching it on an iPad 27 years later in my living room. The adrenaline rush for the players must've been amazing.

Thats what the atmosphere should be like at a football match and its one of the things that get kids hooked in the first place. 

I think a lot of the prematch atmosphere was killed by the bloody champions league style handshakes they are forced to do now. So much better the home team running out to a huge roar, really got the hairs on the back of your neck tingling. Loo rolls being lobbed onto the goalnet. And of course the huge boo for the opposition. No pre match pleasantries at all, focused on the job from the start. Happy Days

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RedM said:

I think a lot of the prematch atmosphere was killed by the bloody champions league style handshakes they are forced to do now. So much better the home team running out to a huge roar, really got the hairs on the back of your neck tingling. Loo rolls being lobbed onto the goalnet. And of course the huge boo for the opposition. No pre match pleasantries at all, focused on the job from the start. Happy Days

As Nogbad said above, the teams entering the pitch together has played a part in all this. I can’t even remember exactly when it started? When I was a kid I loved the pantomime of booing the opposition team when they came out and cheering as loudly as possible when City came out. 

Good fun, all part of the tribal nature of the game that’s made it so popular over the last 150 years. It’s all slowly being removed from the matchday experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

As Nogbad said above, the teams entering the pitch together has played a part in all this. I can’t even remember exactly when it started? When I was a kid I loved the pantomime of booing the opposition team when they came out and cheering as loudly as possible when City came out. 

Good fun, all part of the tribal nature of the game that’s made it so popular over the last 150 years. It’s all slowly being removed from the matchday experience.

 I guess we were making the same point then, must admit I just skipped through and didn't see, apologies. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The noise as the team run out is fantastic.  It feels electric even after all these years.

But, I still enjoy my football.  I agree that it isn't what it used to be in terms of pre-match atmosphere but occasionally there's a real buzz.

For everyone pining for the 'good old days' don't ignore the fact that between 1982 and 1986 our average attendance was around 6,000 per match.  I loved those days but as fans we used to rattle around like coins in a tin-can!

What we need (and this video proves it) is a game that has importance and therefore precipitates atmosphere.  Rovers spell in the footballing wilderness has made genuine derby fixtures a thing of the past and we haven't had decent cup opposition for many years.  But when we played Crystal Palace in 2010, Hartlepool in 2004, Rovers in 2013 there was something significant at stake and the noise comes back.

There will be a solid core of genuine City fans at the Manchester game and a place in the semi-final of the League Cup is a real prize.  I'm pretty sure the noise will be good.  I would echo the above posts and ask everyone to get to their seats 20 minutes before kick-off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Loon plage said:

It doesn't fit the BCFC "DNA" or the desired demographic of fan sought by the club now. Sit on your hands get your faces painted like Jon boy and watch 2,600 Man U fans deafen the ground whilst stood up for 90 minutes.

Sad but absolutely true. The country's best away support coming here in 5 weeks and you can bet the club will ramp up the occasion with some sort of ridiculous gimmick. Free face paint set with every ticket :facepalm:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Sad but absolutely true. The country's best away support coming here in 5 weeks and you can bet the club will ramp up the occasion with some sort of ridiculous gimmick. Free face paint set with every ticket :facepalm:

Second best, surely....?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...