IGNORED

Old Grey Whistle test

Esmond Million's Bung

This great track was shuffled on to my iPod in the car yesterday and I suddenly remembered where I first heard it, how many older ones of us were turned on to a band because of this brilliant late lamented show?.

I know that we have later with Jools Holland and I love Jools but I think the show is a pale shadow of whistle test.

2 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

This great track was shuffled on to my iPod in the car yesterday and I suddenly remembered where I first heard it, how many older ones of us were turned on to a band because of this brilliant late lamented show?.

I know that we have later with Jools Holland and I love Jools but I think the show is a pale shadow of whistle test.

I had a friend who played in the Jools Holland Big Band in the late 1990s and he couldn't stand the bloke.  Said he was not good to work for.

Did you know the New Years Eve Hootenanny is recorded in early December?  Since I found that out, I've never watched it since.  Utter deception if you ask me.

4 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Got this on my iPod too - fantastic track.

Never seen this before E.M.B., cheers !

9 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

I think OGWT was the first time I ever saw Blondie - blew me away.

Cracking show, the TV equivalent of the John Peel Show although a little bit more `mainstream` than him.

I remember first seeing Debbie Harry singing Denis on TOTP, and I used to go to sleep dreaming of exactly the same thing.

On 12/01/2018 at 22:01, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I got this on my iPod as well, god this takes me back ******* brilliant.

Takes me back EMB. Saw his last gig in this country at the Grannary  before he died, they had to turn the stage electricity off due to strict licencensing laws...

what a showman...

59 minutes ago, B1ackbird said:

what a showman...

Indeed he was.

Saw him live when they were supporting the Who in the 70s. I think it was Leeds or maybe Manchester I can't quite remember.

The stage had a three sided framed wall like you'd see in a sitcom with a door  at the back.

All the band were there waiting for Alex Harvey  as they started to strum the intro to "are you going to" and we in the audience were gaping at the door at the back of the stage in anticipation and just as they reached the point where the vocals were due he crashed onto the stage through the wall on the right hand side.......it was brilliant!        :shocking:

I haven't forgotten it after 40 odd years and I've seen loads of bands over many years and  Alex Harvey  was one of the best.

Not from the old grey whistle test but this is a clip of the original incarnation of the Electric Light Orchestra with my man and multi instrumentalist the wonderful Roy Wood, I love that first album, I saw them at the Colston hall and spent an hour and a half back stage drinking beer and talking about music and football with Roy Wood, Jeff Lynne and Bev Bevan, one of my all time favourite nights ever. This is my favourite track from the album and another on my iPod.

On 1/12/2018 at 11:54, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Not necessarily the show.....but the artists !

2 hours ago, Porto Red said:

One of my favourite Sisters songs @One Team In Keynsham. Wayne Hussey on backing vocals. Big JAMC fan too. Is that Bobby Gillespie on drums? Have you heard Damage and Joy?

That was indeed when Bobby was drumming for them, at the same time as getting Primal Scream off the ground.

Not really listened to much JAMC after Automatic, if truth be told.

On 1/14/2018 at 19:01, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Not from the old grey whistle test but this is a clip of the original incarnation of the Electric Light Orchestra with my man and multi instrumentalist the wonderful Roy Wood, I love that first album, I saw them at the Colston hall and spent an hour and a half back stage drinking beer and talking about music and football with Roy Wood, Jeff Lynne and Bev Bevan, one of my all time favourite nights ever. This is my favourite track from the album and another on my iPod.

Bought that album on very first hearing 10538........... loved the album, THAT was what they should have been (until RW left), not just a vehicle for Jeff Lynne! Queued up half way down Blackboy Hill to see them on the very night RW left !:grr:

Some great music in this thread. This, however, changed everything for me the day the OGWT showcased The Specials. Not sure if Whispering Bob was still presenting the show at this point, but if so, he didn't last much longer.

Featuring the late great Rico and Prince Rimshot...life was never quite the same again.

On 13/01/2018 at 23:32, Robbored said:

Indeed he was.

Saw him live when they were supporting the Who in the 70s. I think it was Leeds or maybe Manchester I can't quite remember.

The stage had a three sided framed wall like you'd see in a sitcom with a door  at the back.

All the band were there waiting for Alex Harvey  as they started to strum the intro to "are you going to" and we in the audience were gaping at the door at the back of the stage in anticipation and just as they reached the point where the vocals were due he crashed onto the stage through the wall on the right hand side.......it was brilliant!        :shocking:

I haven't forgotten it after 40 odd years and I've seen loads of bands over many years and  Alex Harvey  was one of the best.

Also, the only version of “Delilah” that I’ve ever liked, because it treats the lyrics the way they’re written - the words of a deranged killer.

13 hours ago, Leveller said:

Also, the only version of “Delilah” that I’ve ever liked, because it treats the lyrics the way they’re written - the words of a deranged killer.

I have often thought the same - the Tom Jones version, which I love incidentally, is sung as a ballad, missing the underlying theme.

As an aside, and I am prompted by a post from @Slacker on the fizzy drinks thread, do you know (or can you identify) the extremely tenuous link between 'Delilah' and Leeds United?  

Archived